Prince was apparently battling opioid addiction when he died—and when he did die, he lay in an elevator for at least six hours before being found, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. Sources close to the investigation say Prince had suffered an opioid overdose on April 15 and received treatment from a Twin Cities physician to help battle opioid-addiction withdrawal. But Prince grew agitated in the following days and went to a local hospital for intravenous treatment on April 20. At some point Prince's staff contacted environmental and labor activist Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, who had worked with Prince, and Ellis-Lamkins reached out to Howard Kornfeld, an addiction and pain specialist in California who then sent his son Andrew to Paisley Park.
Two associates of Prince led Andrew into Paisley Park on April 21 and began screaming when they discovered the singer's body in an elevator, sources say. A paramedic said Prince had been dead for six hours or more. Soon another doctor, Michael Schulenberg, showed up and told investigators he had given Prince treatment twice in April, including on April 20, and was only at Paisley Park to show the singer his test results. So are any doctors at fault? Well, Andrew Kornfeld went to Paisley Park carrying a dose of Suboxone, which contains buprenorphine, an opiate-addiction drug he wasn't licensed to administer, People reports. A lawyer says Kornfeld only happened to have the drug, but possession alone could get him a $10,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison. (Read more Prince stories.)