Women earn about 80% of what men do nationwide. But in some US metropolitan areas, they earn as little as 53%. The gender pay gap is just one factor that went into determining the best and worst US metropolitan areas for women, per 24/7 Wall St. Also based on life expectancy and educational attainment, the top five in each category are as follows:
- Ithaca, NY
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, Calif.
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Boulder, Colo.
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
- Gadsden, Ala.
- Michigan City-La Porte, Ind.
- Shreveport-Bossier City, La.
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas
- Idaho Falls, Idaho
Click for the full lists
or see the best and worst states for women's equality
. (Read more women