USA Today May Have Written Most Anti-Trump Editorial Yet - Page 2
'Not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama Presidential Library'
Posted Dec 13, 2017 11:25 AM CST
- Out of character? "The USA Today editorial board is basically the Wonder Bread of political opinion. Suddenly, not so much," tweeted Jay Bookman of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Politico's Azi Paybarah called the editorial "[fire] from a publication not known for it." Media writer Margaret Sullivan of the Washington Post calls it "extraordinarily tough."
- Neutrality: The refrain of "there goes the liberal media" doesn't quite apply here, writes Callum Borchers of the Washington Post. USA Today keeps its editorial pages so neutral that the newspaper has never endorsed a political candidate, notes Borchers. However, it specifically advised readers in 2016 not to vote for Trump.
- Ditto: Trump loyalists will likely seize on the fact that USA Today backed an anyone-but-Trump pick in the election as a sign of bias, writes Chris Cillizza at CNN. But the newspaper "is far from a reactionary leftist operation. And the disdain dripping from every word of the editorial board's condemnation of the president is truly searing."
- Biden: "I've never ever in my career read an editorial like that," said former VP Joe Biden during an appearance on The View, per Raw Story. He spoke after co-host Whoopi Goldberg read it aloud.
- Big audience: At Vox, Emily Stewart writes that this might be "the most epic editorial Trump takedown" of 2017. She notes that the newspaper reaches an audience of about 3 million readers daily, about 57% of whom are male.
(Read more President Trump
My Take on This Story
Show results |