X

Morgan Freeman Responds to CNN Exposé

Apologizes, says he did not intend to make anyone feel 'uncomfortable or disrespected'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 24, 2018 3:20 PM CDT
Morgan Freeman attends the LA Premiere of "Just Getting Started" at ArcLight Hollywood on Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Los Angeles.   (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)

(Newser) – Morgan Freeman apologized on Thursday to anyone who may have felt "uncomfortable or disrespected" by his behavior, after CNN reported that multiple women have accused the actor of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior on movie sets and in other professional settings. "Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows I am not someone who would intentionally offend or knowingly make anyone feel uneasy," the actor, now 80, said in a statement sent to the AP by his publicist, Stan Rosenfield. "I apologize to anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected—that was never my intent."

Earlier this year, Freeman was honored by SAG-AFTRA with a lifetime achievement award. In a statement to the AP, the organization, which represents actors, journalists, and others, called the allegations "compelling and devastating" and contrary to its attempts to make sure working environments are safe in the industry. "Any accused person has the right to due process, but it is our starting point to believe the courageous voices who come forward to report incidents of harassment," the statement read. "Given Mr. Freeman recently received one of our union's most prestigious honors recognizing his body of work, we are therefore reviewing what corrective actions may be warranted at this time." Click for details of the allegations against Freeman.

(Read more Morgan Freeman stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
11%
10%
28%
5%
3%
43%