X

'Healthy' Couple's Death Gets a Little Clearer - Page 2

John and Susan Cooper suddenly got sick and died at Egyptian hotel
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 25, 2018 10:35 AM CDT

  • But the hotel denies any unusual amount of sickness and says the Coopers died of natural causes, the New York Times reports. So far Egyptian authorities agree, saying John died of a "sudden failure in the heart muscle and respiratory failure," while Susan was killed by a "drop of blood circulation and respiratory functions.
  • The travel company Thomas Cook evacuated 301 travelers from the hotel as a precautionary measure, the Evening Standard reports. "We are deeply saddened by the tragic deaths of two of our customers that were staying in the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada, Egypt," says the company. "The circumstances of their deaths are still unclear. We have also received further reports of a raised level of illness among guests."
  • "I watched them die before my very eyes and they had exactly the same symptoms," the Coopers' daughter, Kelly Ormerod, tells Sky News. "I believe something suspicious has gone on. I don't believe anyone has entered the room, but something has happened in that room and caused them to be taken away from us."
  • An Egyptian prosecutor says the hotel's air-conditioning system wasn't behind the surprise deaths, Reuters reports. "All equipment [in the Coopers' room] was sound and that there was no leakage or emission of any poisonous or harmful gases," the prosecutor's office says.
  • "As a family we are devastated," says Ormerod in a statement, per the Burnley Express. "... We have no cause of death, a post-mortem is underway. ... My focus is on getting my children home." She adds that she'd "also like to thank people at home for their messages of love and support during this horrendous ordeal."
(Read more Egypt stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
4%
22%
1%
63%
7%