Marisa Medici was always concerned about her nephew, Arthur, when he went boogie boarding in what the Boston Herald describes as the "shark-infested waters" of Cape Cod. "Oh my gosh, that’s where he wanted to be every day. Every day. Always I asked him, 'Don’t go. Please, don’t go,'" Marisa Medici tells the Herald. But "he’d say, 'Aunt, they’re not going to bite me. The sharks don’t bite me. I’m Superman!'" But on Saturday, 26-year-old Arthur Medici became Cape Cod's first shark attack fatality in 82 years. Marisa Medici, whom Arthur lived with, says he left Friday night with Isaac Rocha, whom she describes as his future brother-in-law, for Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet, Mass. They set out for the water that night and again the next morning, Rocha tells WCVB. He describes what happened next to the Boston Globe as "just horrible, the worst feeling in the world."
The shark attacked Arthur from behind, biting his legs and severing his femoral arteries, per his aunt. Rocha estimates he was 5 to 10 yards away when he saw Arthur going down, then saw a lot of blood and heard Arthur screaming. "And when (Arthur) came up out of the water, (Rocha) went to him to rescue him and take him to the sand," said Marisa Medici between tears; Rocha says Arthur was no longer speaking at that point. "Because the shark bit on the back of his legs, the calves, he lost a lot of blood. A lot of blood. Basically everything," Marisa Medici says. "When he was on the sand, he’d already lost the blood. They did CPR, they did everything. They didn’t save him." A GoFundMe campaign has been started to bring Arthur's body home to his native Brazil to be buried. He had been in the US four years, was studying engineering and was planning to marry his girlfriend of nearly two years. (Read more shark attack stories.)