British restaurant chain Pret a Manger says a second customer has died after eating a sandwich containing an allergen that was not noted on the label, reports the AP. The coffee-and-sandwich business said an investigation was underway into the second case, in which a customer died December 27 after eating a supposedly dairy-free "super-veg rainbow flatbread" that contained dairy protein, reports the Guardian. "This is believed to have resulted in the tragic death of a customer from an allergic reaction," says a Pret a Manger spokesperson, and blaming CoYo, a supplier of its dairy-free yogurt.
Pret a Manger has promised to improve its labeling following criticism at an inquest into the death of 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who died in 2016 after eating a Pret baguette that contained traces of sesame. Natasha's parents, who are campaigning for stronger allergen warnings, said Sunday they were "incredibly saddened to learn of someone else losing their life from allergens in their food."
(Read more food allergies