- Not "ignorance": "It's never been: The president just wants to make a decision based on no knowledge and ignorance," says Kelly, who assures the Times he gave Trump access to reams of information before major decisions. "You may not like his decision, but at least he was fully informed on the impact."
- Not so bad: "Illegal immigrants, overwhelmingly, are not bad people," says Kelly, who still argues for stricter laws to keep the numbers down. "I have nothing but compassion for them, the young kids."
- Sessions surprise: "What happened was Jeff Sessions, he was the one that instituted the zero-tolerance process on the border that resulted in both people being detained and the family separation," per Kelly. "He surprised us."
- No beer: Kelly describes 15-hour days that start at 4am and end at 9pm with him going over classified reports. "I'm guarded by the Secret Service. I can't even go get a beer."
- Reaction: A tremor of delight has rippled through certain media outlets, with the Guardian saying the interview "contained a number of statements likely to irk Trump" and the Washington Post noting that "Kelly's words are not exactly a ringing endorsement of Trump's decisions."
(Read more John Kelly