A powerful cyclone that struck northern Mozambique and is continuing to dump rain on the region killed at least one person and destroyed homes, with the United Nations on Friday warning of "massive flooding." Cyclone Kenneth arrived just six weeks after Cyclone Idai tore into central Mozambique, killing more than 600 people and displacing scores of thousands, the AP reports. The UN called it the first time in known history the southern African nation has been hit by two cyclones in one season. Forecasters say the new cyclone made landfall Thursday night in a part of Mozambique that hasn't seen such a storm in at least 60 years. Mozambique's local emergency center said a woman in the city of Pemba was killed by a falling tree, while a "high number" of houses in the Macomia district in Cabo Delgado province were destroyed.
"Cyclone Kenneth may require a major new humanitarian operation" in one of the world's poorest nations, even as post-Cyclone Idai relief operations are expected to continue for months, UN humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock said in a statement. Cyclone Kenneth packed the power of a Category 4 hurricane as it approached Mozambique, with maximum sustained winds of 136mph, per the Joint Typhoon Warning Center. The winds weakened after landfall, but danger remained. The cyclone over the next 10 days is expected to dump twice as much rain as Cyclone Idai did last month, per a World Food Program rep. Mozambique's disaster management agency has said nearly 700,000 people could be at risk from the new cyclone. (Read more Mozambique stories.)