He Used a Snapchat Filter to Get This Pic, Launched a Sting - Page 2
A California cop was arrested as a result of Ethan's actions
Posted Jun 12, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
- Ethan used the photo to open a Tinder account as "Esther." Then came a message around May 11, one that Ethan recalls as something like, "Are you down to have some fun tonight?" Tinder's Terms of Service stipulate that users be 18. Esther's profile gave her age as 19, so Ethan says he responded to the man's message via Kik, where he explained his age was 16. At first the man said the age "might be an issue," but the two continued to talk, ultimately moving to Snapchat, and screenshots show their messages allegedly grew explicit.
- The Verge notes Ethan put his phone in airplane mode while taking the screenshots, as Snapchat would have otherwise alerted the man that a screenshot had been taken.
- That same day, Ethan contacted Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers about the conversation. Per a release from the San Jose PD, "The tipster did research and determined the suspect was a police officer in the bay area." The suspect has now been named as Robert Davies. He was arrested June 6 on a felony charge of contacting a minor to commit a felony and is now on paid administrative leave.
- "Whether or not the person is 16 is irrelevant," a member of the SJPD tells KTVU. "If the suspect believes it's a 16-year-old on the other end, the suspect should have terminated that conversation."
- How Ethan sums things up: "I was just looking to get someone. He just happened to be a cop."
(Read more sting operations
My Take on This Story
Show results |