Bill Maher's reaction to David Koch's death wasn't exactly reverent. In fact, we'll skip the expletive. "He and his brother have done more than anybody to fund climate science deniers for decades" while "the Amazon is burning up," the Real Time with Bill Maher host said on his Friday show, per USA Today. "I'm glad he's dead and I hope the end was painful." Maher admits these "will seem like harsh words" about the billionaire businessman who co-founded an empire with his brother to back conservative causes. But Maher didn't hold back: "I guess I'm going to have to re-evaluate my low opinion of prostate cancer," he said, per Fox News. Among the reactions to Maher and Koch's death:
- Greg Gutfeld of Fox News: "Koch was a generous libertarian, whose millions went to fight disease. He did more for the world in a day, than Maher will do in his lifetime."
- Author Josh Gondelman: "David Koch has died. In lieu of flowers please construct a shadow network of tax deductible shell companies to donate to the further perpetuation of environmental destruction and income inequality."
- UK journalist Mehdi Hasan: "Haven't seen any refer to him as 'climate denier' Koch. But that'll be his long-term legacy: funding the effort to downplay an existential threat to all of us."
- Heritage Foundation President Kay Coles James: "Noting the passing of a great philanthropist and friend of liberty, David Koch."
- Bette Midler: "'A friend of liberty' Yes, his own and his family's. The rest of us can drink leaded water and burn in the climate change he produced."
(Read about a close call on an airplane that changed Koch's life