In Tonight's Democratic Debate a Promise of Something 'Big' - Page 2
Will there be friction between Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden?
- Head to head: Tops on the what-to-watch list from CNN is whether a head-to-head confrontation emerges between Biden and Warren. She is pushing for more aggressive changes to US policies, including on the economy, than Biden is, and Thursday night could offer a "stark view of the contrasts in how the two approach politics."
- Sanders, too: He, too, has fundamentally different approaches than Biden on everything from health care to climate change, and Sanders could be a "major factor" in this debate, per the Washington Post. And not just when it comes to the former VP: While "Sanders and Warren have been allies, a clash between them is likely at some point, with both fighting to become the liberal alternative to Biden."
- Harris: The California senator surged after her performance in the first debate, but she has fallen in the polls over the summer, notes the New York Times. Her advisers say they're not panicking, though Rep. Marcia Fudge of Ohio expects her fellow Democrat to be aggressive Thursday. "This debate matters in particular because people don't start paying attention until after Labor Day," says Fudge, who has endorsed Harris. "Now every day people are starting to pay attention, so this is an important one."
- 2 Texans: The debate is in Houston, but Texans O'Rourke and Castro enter the stage relatively low in the polls and "desperate for a breakout," per Politico. Don't expect them to go after each other. "It makes far more sense for them to tag team and go after Bernie [Sanders] or Warren or Biden and try to make a significant dent," says one state Democratic strategist.
- Yang's tease: The entrepreneur is promising something "big" and "unprecedented" during the debate, but he isn't offering any details, reports NBC News. Yang, 44, has danced and crowdsurfed during his campaign, providing a contrast to the 70-something frontrunners. Buttigieg is even younger, at 37.
(Read more Elizabeth Warren 2020
My Take on This Story
Show results |