As expected, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday announced that House Democrats will launch a formal impeachment inquiry following President Trump's Ukraine phone call controversy, CNN reports. The announcement came after her closed-door all-caucus meeting. "The president must be held accountable. No one is above the law," she told reporters. Trump was quick to respond on Twitter:
- 5:08pm: "Such an important day at the United Nations, so much work and so much success, and the Democrats purposely had to ruin and demean it with more breaking news Witch Hunt garbage. So bad for our Country!"
- 5:11pm: "Pelosi, Nadler, Schiff and, of course, Maxine Waters! Can you believe this?"
- 5:14pm: "They never even saw the transcript of the call. A total Witch Hunt!"
- 5:17pm: "PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!"
- 5:32pm: A video of Trump using the Democrats' focus on impeachment to ask for support from his base.
- He later tweeted reiterating his promise to release the transcript of the phone call; more on that here.