Cops: They Saved Meth Gear in Fire, Let Grandmother Die

Brothers charged with manslaughter in fatal May fire in upstate New York
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Oct 22, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Cops: They Saved Meth Gear, Left Grandmother to Die
Jarrett Gause and Justin Gause   (Steuben County Jail)

(Newser) – Having saved their meth equipment from a burning home, two brothers went to buy cigarettes but left their 82-year-old grandmother to perish in the flames, according to authorities in upstate New York. Jarrett and Justin Gause are now facing manslaughter charges, reports WETM. Steuben County District Attorney Brooks Baker says the brothers got out safely from the burning Riverside home on May 14 with their drug-making equipment, but they didn't help Gladys Ann Willow, 82.

Rather than report the fire, Justin, 21, and Jarrett, 33, left the scene to go get cigarettes, Baker says. Willow had been trapped in the home where police believe a meth-making operation was underway, reports the Elmira Star-Gazette. Both brothers are charged with evidence tampering. They also face one reckless endangerment charge for each firefighter who responded to the blaze. (Read more New York stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X