John Legend's 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' Redo Not Going Over Well - Page 2
Legend changed the lyrics to make them less 'date-rapey,' not everyone is pleased
- Dean Martin's daughter, Deana: Yahoo News notes that Martin's 1959 version of the song is "arguably its most famous," and Deana Martin went on Good Morning Britain Monday to call Legend's version "absolutely absurd." "He's stealing the thunder from Frank Loesser's song and from my dad," she said. "He should write his own song if he doesn't like this one, but don't change the lyrics. It's a classic, perfect song." She also argues Legend's changes actually make the song "more sexual."
- Piers Morgan: During Martin's interview, the Good Morning Britain host said Legend's version of the song "trivializes" the #MeToo movement, and wondered why Legend doesn't instead rewrite lyrics to rap songs that are "far more incendiary ... and far more woman-hating."
- Sharon Osbourne: On The Talk Monday, Osbourne said it's "ridiculous" to rewrite things like this. "It's, to me, like a master painting. ... It's a piece of art." And she echoed some of Deana Martin's concerns about the changes, too: "To change an innocent lyric, to what is it, 'Your mind and your body'? What the hell are you on?" she said. "Why do you do this? That's not right."
- Laura Ingraham: "I think it is horribly unfair to new generations of Americans to deny them the ... opportunity to hear and take in a bygone time," the Fox News host said, blaming "PC culture" for the changes.
- Twitter: Yahoo Style rounds up a number of outraged reactions from users of the social media site.Legend's A Legendary Christmas: The Deluxe Edition drops Friday, Fox News reports.
(Read more John Legend
My Take on This Story
Show results |