Palace: Prince Philip's Heart Procedure Was a Success

99-year-old will remain hospitalized 'for a number of days'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Mar 4, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Palace Says Prince Philip Had Successful Heart Procedure
Police officers stand outside the main entrance of St Bartholomew's Hospital where Britain's Prince Philip is being treated, in London, Thursday, March 4, 2021.   (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Prince Philip has had a successful heart procedure at a London hospital, Buckingham Palace said Thursday. The palace says the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, "underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital," the AP reports. “His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest, and recuperation for a number of days,'' the palace said in a statement. Philip, 99, has been hospitalized since being admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on Feb. 16, where he was treated for an infection. On Monday he was transferred to a specialized cardiac care hospital, St. Bartholomew’s.

His illness is not believed to be related to the coronavirus. Both Philip and the monarch received COVID-19 vaccinations in January and chose to publicize the matter to encourage others to also take the vaccine. He has had heart issues in the past. In 2011, he was rushed to a hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains and was treated for a blocked coronary artery. Philip retired in 2017 and rarely appears in public. Before his hospitalization, Philip had been isolating at Windsor Castle, west of London, with the queen.

(Read more Prince Philip stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X