Industry publication Flavor & The Menu predicts that casual, comfort flavor cues will drive restaurant trends in 2009; via MarketWatch, what your palate can look forward to:
- Top culinary trend: Craft beers paired with sophisticated pub food.
- Top concept trend: Urban barbecue, with more interesting preparations and sides.
- Top comeback trend: The French bistro now has low-on-pretension appeal.
- Top menu-making trend: Expect a snack attack, with small plates and their wine-bar kin spreading farther afield.
- Top ethno-cuisine trend: Asian noodles, a la ramen and soba, get a variety of new interpretations.
- Top sauce trend: Fruit.
- Top high-impact ingredient: American artisanal cheeses.
- Top buzzword: farm.
- Top beverage trend: Latin refreshers such as aguas fresca and sangria add to your drink options.
- Top dessert trend: Inspiration from Italy in items like soothing budino (Italian-style pudding), homey polenta cake, and semi-frozen specialties known as semifreddo.
(Read more restaurant