Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans
to These 6 Destinations
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans to These 6 Destinations
Bahamas, 5 other locations moved onto CDC's list of 'very high' COVID risk
- The CDC's travel advisories list for COVID just received an update, with six nations moving up to Level 4 status, reports CNN . In other words—these are the countries you shouldn't be heading to right now. Ending up in the "Very High" risk category means that these...
Flight to Bahamas Nixed
After Teen 'Masked Rebellion'
Jul 7, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Flight to Bahamas Nixed After Teen 'Masked Rebellion'
Dozens of high schoolers believed to be from Mass. wouldn't mask up, witnesses say
- Passengers on an American Airlines flight out of North Carolina found their vacation to the Bahamas disrupted after what the
New York Post
calls a "masked rebellion" by dozens of teens. WSOC reports that Flight 893, headed to Nassau, was prepping to take off from Charlotte Douglas International Airport...
Jun 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Tiger Sharks Are Pretty Brave During Hurricanes
Other species flee, but one species seems to see opportunity
- Researchers have found before that smaller types of sharks flee shallow water as a hurricane approaches. But it looks like one response doesn't fit all large sharks, a study published in
Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science
indicates. Tiger sharks didn't go anywhere as Hurricane Mathew neared the Bahamas...
After 5 Weeks on
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Trio Rescued After 5 Weeks on Deserted Island
They had a lovely bunch of coconuts, at least
- US Coast Guard officials were conducting a routine air patrol on Monday when they noticed movement on what should've been a deserted island in the Bahamas. It turns out a trio had been living on Anguilla Cay, a tiny chain of islands between the Bahamas and Cuba, since swimming...
Boat With 20 People Aboard
Vanishes En Route to Florida
Jan 2, 2021 7:11 AM CST
Boat With 20 People Aboard Vanishes En Route to Florida
Coast Guard has suspended the search
- The US Coast Guard on Friday suspended its search for a boat that went missing with 20 people on board, the AP reports. The travelers had taken the white and blue 29-foot Mako Cuddy Cabin vessel to Bimini, a chain of islands in the Bahamas, the
reports. It departed...
But the Feds
Find a Way
Aug 1, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
The Festival Fizzled Out. But the Feds Find a Way to Profit
The US Marshals Service puts merchandise and 'minor assets' up for auction
- More than three years after the highly publicized Fyre Festival famously fizzled out in the Bahamas, merchandise and other "minor assets" are up for sale—courtesy of the US Marshals Service, the AP reports. In a release Thursday, the US Marshals announced that 126 items from the festival will...
Here Comes Hurricane Isaias
Aug 1, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Here Comes Hurricane Isaias
The Sunshine State is closing beaches, parks, and virus testing sites
- Hurricane Isaias snapped trees and knocked out power as it blew through the Bahamas on Saturday and churned toward the Florida coast, where it is threatening to complicate efforts to contain the coronavirus in a hot spot, the AP reports. The storm is piling another burden on communities already hard-hit...
Flights to and
Jul 21, 2020 12:13 PM CDT
Island Bans Commercial Flights to and From US
Bahamas puts most Americans on the not-welcome list for the near future
- Three weeks after reopening its borders, the Bahamas is shutting them again—at least to most US travelers. Effective Wednesday, all commercial flights to the country will be halted except for those departing Canada, the UK, and the European Union, reports CNBC . Private international flights, pleasure craft, and yachts will...
Was 'So Hyped'
—And Now Has
to Pay $90K
May 20, 2020 7:23 PM CDT
Kendall Jenner Was 'So Hyped' —And Now Has to Pay $90K
The model was sued over a single Instagram post
- Kendall Jenner has agreed to pay $90,000 to settle a lawsuit over the disastrous Fyre Festival —you know, the one that spawned two documentaries and got its organizer sent to prison on wire fraud charges. Jenner was sued in an effort to recover money for creditors who invested...
Makes Desperate Plea
Sep 29, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Battered Bahamas Makes Desperate Plea
Prime Minister Hubert Minnis asks world leaders to tackle climate change
- As the Bahamas strives to recover from Hurricane Dorian, Prime Minister Hubert Minnis appealed to world leaders Friday to tackle climate change—and encouraged travelers to visit to help the country rebuild, the AP reports. Telling the UN General Assembly the storm was "a generational tragedy" for his country,...
a Miracle Find
Sep 15, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Amid Dorian's Wreckage, a Miracle Find
Volunteer helicopter pilot finds small village of survivors in the rubble
- "He had this intuition that he had to fly back over," says Angela Johnson of her helicopter pilot husband Justin's sense that he had to return to a debris field on Little Abaco Island. Justin Johnson was volunteering in the wake of Hurricane Dorian's destruction, and...
Humberto Hits the Bahamas
Sep 14, 2019 6:13 PM CDT
Humberto Hits the Bahamas
The tropical storm is expected to become a hurricane
- Tropical Storm Humberto moved away from the Bahamas on Saturday after dumping rain on parts of the archipelago's northwest region that were already hammered by Hurricane Dorian two weeks ago, the AP reports. Humberto had lashed the islands as UN Secretary-General António Guterres visited the Bahamas to support...
Hurricane Survivor, 12,
Was Sent to Migrant
Sep 13, 2019 4:41 AM CDT
Hurricane Survivor, 12, Was Sent to Migrant Detention Center
Bahamian girl has now been reunited with family
- A 12-year-old girl from the Bahamas who ended up in a migrant detention center in Florida after fleeing the destruction caused by Hurricane Dorian has been reunited with her family. Kaytora Paul flew to Miami with her godmother on Sunday after being evacuated from hard-hit Abaco Island, where the roof...
Makes Big Move
Sep 10, 2019 5:22 PM CDT
Michael Jordan Makes Big Move for Bahamas
NBA legend donates $1M for hurricane relief
- Hurricane Dorian devastated the Bahamas, and Michael Jordan says he, too, is "devastated" when he looks at the destruction. The former NBA great has a personal link to the islands, "where I own property and visit frequently," he says in a statement obtained by TMZ . And so...
Va. University to
Victims: Come on In
Sep 8, 2019 7:18 AM CDT
Va. University to Dorian's Student Victims: Come on In
Hampton University is offering free tuition to Bahamas students displaced by hurricane
- One silver lining has emerged in the wake of Hurricane Dorian's destruction in the Bahamas: Two university presidents—friends and former colleagues—have arranged for students at the devastated University of the Bahamas to attend Hampton University in Virginia tuition-free for a semester. As the
New York Times
'Staggering' Death Toll
Expected in Bahamas
Sep 6, 2019 6:26 AM CDT
'Staggering' Death Toll Expected in Bahamas
International aid effort is gaining momentum
- The official death toll from Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas now stands at 30, but with hundreds, possibly thousands of people missing, authorities say the final count could be "staggering." "The public needs to prepare for unimaginable information about the death toll and the human suffering,"...
in the Bahamas
Sep 5, 2019 3:47 AM CDT
'Generational Devastation' in the Bahamas
Dorian death toll of 20 is expected to rise
- Hurricane Dorian has now moved away from the Bahamas, leaving chaos, devastation, and at least 20 dead behind it. Bahamas Health Minister Duane Sands tells NBC that the death toll is expected to rise significantly when searches of hard-hit remote areas are completed. "We've had an absolute horrendous...
Aerial Footage Shows
Sep 4, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Aerial Footage Shows 'Apocalyptic' Destruction in Bahamas
'The area around the airport now looks like a lake'
- The terrifying scale of destruction caused by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas was revealed in aerial footage from some of the hardest-hit areas. The footage from the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama shows seawater where streets used to be and the shattered remains of hundreds of homes, reports the
in the Bahamas
Sep 3, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
'Historic Tragedy' in the Bahamas
Slow-moving storm downgraded to Category 3
- Authorities in the Bahamas say Hurricane Dorian has killed at least five people —but the country is still being battered by the slow-moving storm and many other people are in danger. The storm was just north of Grand Bahama Island early Tuesday, having only moved around 12 miles in...
Dorian Kills at Least 5
as It Floods Bahamas
Sep 2, 2019 5:06 PM CDT
Dorian Kills at Least 5 as It Floods Bahamas
More than 13,000 houses are damaged or destroyed
- At least five people were killed as Hurricane Dorian unleashed massive flooding across the Bahamas on Monday, pummeling the islands with so much wind and water that authorities urged people to find flotation devices and grab hammers to break out of their attics if necessary, the AP reports. "We...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.