Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Lawsuit at
One of World's
Sep 24, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
A Lawsuit at One of World's 'Wealthiest Addresses'
432 Park Avenue residents describe floods, elevator breakdowns, excessive noise
Residents of one of the most expensive addresses in the world are suing the developers for $250 million. The complaint filed Thursday by the condo board at 432 Park Avenue in New York City claims the funds are needed to repair some 1,500 construction and design defects in...
8-Story Miami Condo
Aug 10, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
8-Story Miami Condo Deemed Unsafe
All residents ordered to evacuate in wake of deadly collapse in Surfside
- Residents of an eight-story condo building in Miami were ordered to evacuate after the building was deemed unsafe by city officials, per the AP . On Monday night, some six weeks after 98 people died in the collapse of the Champlain Towers South in nearby Surfside, residents of the 138-unit building...
Florida's Waterfront May
Change After Condo Collapse
Jul 9, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
Florida's Waterfront May Change After Condo Collapse
Developers may buy up older buildings and put up new ones for richer residents
- It could take some time to play out, but the collapse of the Surfside condo could fundamentally change the waterfront real estate market not only in the Miami area but throughout Florida and perhaps elsewhere in the country. This is a "real come to Jesus moment," Ana Bozovic,...
Condo Searchers Carry On
Through Rain, Wind
Jul 6, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Condo Searchers Carry On Through Rain, Wind
4 more bodies found, bringing total to 32
- The discovery of four more victims in the rubble of a collapsed Florida condominium building raised the death toll to 32, officials said Tuesday as a ramped-up search effort faced new threats from severe weather with Tropical Storm Elsa. Lightning forced rescuers to pause their work for two hours early...
Condo Tower 5 Miles From
Surfside Collapse Is Evacuated
Jul 3, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Condo Tower 5 Miles From Surfside Collapse Is Evacuated
Unsafe conditions found at 156-unit Crestview Towers Condominium in N. Miami Beach
- As investigations continue into why and how the Champlain Towers South condo crumbled in Surfside last week, officials are turning an eye toward other older high-rises in South Florida and around the state. Now, after a suggested audit by the Miami-Dade County mayor of all buildings 40 years or older,...
Before Collapse, Condo
Had 'Major Structural Damage'
Jun 26, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Before Collapse, Condo Had 'Major Structural Damage'
Concrete structural slab below building's pool deck was said to need extensive repairs
- The oceanfront condominium building that collapsed near Miami had "major structural damage" to a concrete structural slab below its pool deck that needed to be extensively repaired, according to a 2018 engineering report on the building. The report was among a series of documents released by the city of...
Condo Owner in Trouble
for Creating 4th 1/2 Floor
Aug 17, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Condo Owner in Trouble for Creating 4th 1/2 Floor
Xue Ping Ni allegedly turned his condo into a bustling, if cramped, multi-unit rental
- A New York condo owner is in hot water after allegedly making
Being John Malkovich
a reality, the
New York Post
reports. Officials say Xue Ping Ni turned his Lower East Side Condo into a bustling village of 11 sub-units, some of which have 4 1/2-foot-high ceilings—not unlike the...
$100M Fix May
Be Coming for
SF's Leaning Tower
Dec 4, 2018 9:45 AM CST
$100M Fix May Be Coming for SF's Leaning Tower
Residents, developer appear to agree on pending retrofit for the Millennium Tower
- Residents of San Francisco's leaning luxury condo tower have come up with a $100 million solution to be put in place as soon as this winter. Homeowners at the 58-story Millennium Tower, which has sunk 18 inches and tilted 14 inches since its construction, plan to submit a permit...
Video Shows Entire
Dance Floor Caving In
Oct 21, 2018 1:03 PM CDT
Video Shows Entire Dance Floor Caving In
30 are injured in shocking collapse
- The floor of a condominium clubhouse near Clemson University collapsed during a large private party early Sunday, hurtling dozens of people into the basement, authorities said. About 30 people were taken to local hospitals after the center of the floor caved in at the clubhouse near the South Carolina university....
The Summit Over, Trump Made
a 'Classic Alpha Male Move'
Jun 12, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
The Summit Over, Trump Made a 'Classic Alpha Male Move'
President gives Kim a peek into his limo; Trump also talked hotels on North Korea's beaches
- You can temporarily take Donald Trump out of real estate, but you can't take the real estate out of Donald Trump. That much was clear at a Singapore press conference Tuesday, which took place after the president's meeting with Kim Jong Un and in which he touched upon...
Mar 31, 2018 11:12 AM CDT
White House Stewing Over Scott Pruitt's Condo Rental
'His goose is cooked,' says EPA source
- Scott Pruitt may be in hot water again—now for renting an apartment from the wife of an energy lobbyist who's had business with the Environmental Protection Agency, CNN reports. Pruitt, who heads the EPA, leased a room in the Washington, DC, condo for just $50 a night on...
Aging Condos in a Financial
Bind That Could Doom Them
Sep 19, 2016 12:40 PM CDT
Aging Condos in a Financial Bind That Could Doom Them
'Washington Post' looks at growing problem
- For the fifth straight summer, children could only gaze at the expansive pool at their condo complex in Maryland through a chain-link fence. A dirty tarp covers the in-ground pool at the 60-year-old Grand Bel II complex in Silver Spring, which has no money to run it or fix the...
Nov 22, 2015 4:30 PM CST
Pet Owners Fuming Over Doggie DNA Request
Florida condo association aims to curb pet poop
- Some Florida condo owners are steaming after their homeowners association asked them to submit their dog's DNA in order to fine owners who don't pick up after their pets. Residents of Harbor Landing in Destin, Fla., said they received a letter last week and some feel it's...
Manhattan Condo Sells
for Record $100M
Jan 17, 2015 8:49 AM CST
Manhattan Condo Sells for Record $100M
It's the priciest place ever sold in New York City
- The decimal points alone could buy a posh residence: An unknown buyer has paid $100.47 million for a Manhattan condo overlooking Central Park. The 11,000-square-foot penthouse is in the luxe One57 apartment tower, reports the Real Deal . It's not only the highest price ever paid for a...
Was Once a 'Condo'
Jul 3, 2014 8:09 AM CDT
Rome's Colosseum Was Once a 'Condo'
Amphitheater functioned as a 'condo' for centuries
- If only these walls could talk. Rome's iconic Colosseum, built nearly 20 centuries ago in 72 AD, has long been known as the site of gory gladiator battles and animal slaughter. Now, archaeologists who spent three weeks studying an excavated area beneath some 80 arched entrances that opened up...
in case you missed it
Mar 24, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
NH Woman Plants Flowers, Gets Sued
Kimberly Bois battles her condo board
- The grounds around Kimberly Bois' condo are filled with daisies, bearded irises, lavender, and hydrangeas … a piece of floral serenity that's getting Bois sued. The Atlantic Pointe condo association wants her to pull up the perennials, and since Oct. 24 has been fining her first $25 per day...
Condo Spends $100K Trying to Evict Dog ... and Loses
Nov 11, 2010 1:30 PM CST
Condo Spends $100K Trying to Evict Dog ... and Loses
Court says dog rule needs to be cleared by owners
- Donata Forman really loves her dog. So when her condo board told her little Charlie—a four-pound Yorkshire terrier— had to go, “I said, I’m going all the way" with the case, Forman tells the
New York Daily News
. “I need him because he’s part of...
Condo With Poop
Problem Wants to
May 19, 2010 1:14 PM CDT
Condo With Poop Problem Wants to DNA-Test Dogs
'I feel like I'm living in a "Seinfeld " episode,' says one owner
- A luxury condo in Baltimore has gone to the dogs, its owners complain, and the solution is obvious: have all the resident canines' DNA tested to identify the miscreant who's been leaving droppings around the place. The plan, to be voted on tonight, will cost owners of dogs—including guests—...
Condos Under SF Bridge?
Blogosphere Loves It
Oct 31, 2009 5:44 AM CDT
Condos Under SF Bridge? Blogosphere Loves It
The Bay Line, aka Bay Bridge to Nowhere, is catching on
- With the eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge due to go out of commission when its replacement is completed (current ETA: 2013), a campaign is amping up in the blogosphere to keep it around as a pimped-out version of New York’s popular High Line. The Bay Line—...
CityCenter: Las Vegas'
$8.5B Stimulus Bet
Sep 23, 2009 6:54 PM CDT
CityCenter: Las Vegas' $8.5B Stimulus Bet
Hotel-casino-condo-shopping behemoth brings 12K jobs, optimism to battered state
- A gigantic addition to the Las Vegas Strip is a one-stop stimulus package for a city and state walloped by the recession and an $8.5 billion bet that happy days are near again. With 12,000 jobs, the CityCenter project—a kaleidoscope of condominiums, boutique hotels, shopping, and, of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2nd Woman Dumped at LA Hospital Dies
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
You Know About Foster Care, Maybe Not Its 'Shadow' System
He Stuck Out His Arm to Get Vaxxed. It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
Shellshocked Docs Call Bomb Squad for Man With Ordnance in Rectum
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.