Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
1K Hospital Visits
and One Death Later,
Mom Pays for Her Ruse
Feb 10, 2022 10:25 AM CST
1K Hospital Visits and One Death Later, Mom Pays for Her Ruse
Kelly Turner sentenced to 16 years for fatally abusing Olivia Gant
- A Colorado mother who fatally abused her daughter for years while falsely claiming the child was terminally ill has been sentenced to prison to serve more than twice the length of 7-year-old Olivia Gant's short life. Kelly Turner was sentenced to 16 years in prison on Wednesday after pleading...
Man Allegedly Asked
for Bloomberg Daughters
Feb 5, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Man Allegedly Asked for Bloomberg Daughters Before Abduction
Joseph Beecher accused of kidnapping housekeeper at billionaire's ranch in Colo.
- A man who allegedly kidnapped an employee at the Colorado ranch owned by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg at first asked her where the billionaire's daughters were and later went on rants about Bloomberg, saying he wanted to "make an international scene" with him or his...
First, Gunfire at a Colo. Church.
Then, at a Va. Hookah Lounge
Feb 5, 2022 8:15 AM CST
First, Gunfire at a Colo. Church. Then, at a Va. Hookah Lounge
2 are dead, 6 injured after unrelated shootings Friday night
- Two separate shootings 1,500 miles apart, in towns that have already experienced grim mass shootings, have left two dead and at least six injured. The first incident happened earlier in the evening Friday, shortly after 8pm, at the Iglesia Faro De Luz Church in Aurora, Colo., reports Denver7 . When...
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts
Kids Museum for 10 Days
Jan 28, 2022 8:44 AM CST
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts Kids Museum for 10 Days
Anti-mask patrons were 'inappropriately directing their anger' toward museum staff
- If you're a Denverite who'd planned on taking the kids to the local children's museum over the weekend, you'll have to wait. NPR reports the Children's Museum of Denver has closed its doors for 10 days after angry patrons harassed staff over its mask policy....
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Woman Says She
Searched a Week
Told Her Dog Died
Jan 14, 2022 1:13 PM CST
Woman Says She Searched a Week Before Service Told Her Dog Died
Liz Giorgi is warning others away from pet-sitting company Wag after what happened to Fran
- "We're committed to the safety and happiness of all dogs in our care, and peace of mind for pet parents." That's the promise of pet-sitting and -walking service Wag, as seen on its website , but one pet owner says her dog is now dead after being...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
'Make-a-Wish' Mom Enters
Plea in Daughter's Death
Jan 5, 2022 9:45 AM CST
'Make-a-Wish' Mom Enters Plea in Daughter's Death
Colorado's Kelly Turner pleads guilty, could see 16 years for lying about 7-year-old's terminal illness
A Colorado mother has pleaded guilty to child abuse and negligently causing her daughter's death in a case that made national headlines, reports the
. Prosecutors say Kelly Turner lied about her daughter being terminally ill, which led to years of unneeded and life-threatening medical treatments for...
Count 2 People
Missing After Fire
Jan 1, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Officials Now Count 2 People Missing After Fire
Family says 91-year-old woman couldn't escape her burning home
- After wildfires races through two Colorado towns on Thursday, local officials said no one was killed, which the sheriff said would be "our very own New Year’s miracle." Now they're worried that the announcement was premature, the
reports. Local officials had been working through...
'This Is the Kind of Fire
We Can't Fight Head On'
Dec 31, 2021 1:14 AM CST
'This Is the Kind of Fire We Can't Fight Head On'
Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated northwest of Denver
- An estimated 580 homes, a hotel, and a shopping center have burned and tens of thousands of people were evacuated in wind-fueled wildfires outside Denver, officials said Thursday evening. Just a few injuries have been reported so far, but authorities didn’t rule out finding out later about more severe...
Dec 30, 2021 6:15 PM CST
Governor Cuts Truck Driver's 110-Year Sentence
5 million people signed an online petition asking for clemency in Colorado case
: After a public outcry, Colorado Gov. Jared Polis has shortened the prison sentence of a truck driver convicted in a 2019 fatal crash. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos' term was cut from 110 years to 10, the AP reports. The reduction was included among several commutations and pardons issued by the governor...
Had Extremist Views
Dec 28, 2021 6:47 PM CST
Sources Say Denver Shooter Had Extremist Views
5th victim dies after Lyndon McLeod's Monday rampage
- Police have identified the gunman who killed five people in a shooting spree in Denver and nearby Lakewood Monday as Lyndon James McLeod. Police said Tuesday that McLeod, 47, apparently knew many of his victims and was already "on the radar" of law enforcement, the
Denver Shooting Spree
Leaves 5 Dead, Cop Injured
Dec 28, 2021 12:21 AM CST
Denver Shooting Spree Leaves 5 Dead, Cop Injured
Suspect among the dead in Monday tragedy
- A shooting spree through Denver and nearby Lakewood, Colorado, left at least five people dead Monday, including the suspected shooter, KKTV reports. Multiple people were also injured, including a Lakewood police officer who was in stable condition after being hospitalized with a gunshot wound, the AP reports. Three people were...
'Fully Buried' in
Dec 27, 2021 3:39 AM CST
Colorado Skier 'Fully Buried' in Christmas Eve Avalanche
The backcountry skier died
- A Colorado skier died on Christmas Eve after being "fully buried" in an avalanche, officials say. The man was skiing in the backcountry near Cameron Pass in the Rocky Mountains around 2pm when the 250-foot-wide avalanche struck,
reports. "The victim's partner was able to locate...
Prosecutor's Trophy Brings New
'Outrage' in Truck Driver Case
Dec 22, 2021 8:41 AM CST
Prosecutor's Trophy Brings New 'Outrage' in Truck Driver Case
Prosecutor shared photo of trophy made from a semi-truck brake shoe
- Millions of people upset over a 110-year sentence for a truck driver involved in a fiery fatal crash on Colorado's Interstate 70, who said his brakes malfunctioned, have a new reason to fume. Denver's 9 News reports a prosecutor posted a photo of a makeshift trophy she...
Truck Driver Could See His
110-Year Sentence Reduced
Dec 22, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Truck Driver Could See His 110-Year Sentence Reduced
DA has started the process
- The truck driver sentenced to 110 years after a Colorado accident that killed four could see that amount of time reduced. The sentence for Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, who said his brakes malfunctioned, proved to be controversial, with millions signing a petition calling for it to be reduced and even Kim Kardashian...
4.3M People Want
Mercy for Truck Driver
in Accident That Killed 4
Dec 20, 2021 6:52 AM CST
4.3M People Want Mercy for Truck Driver in Accident That Killed 4
Petition calls for clemency in Colorado tragedy
- More than 4 million people so far have signed a Change.org petition seeking clemency for the truck driver sentenced last week to 110 years behind bars for his role in a crash that left four people dead in 2019. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, now 26, says his brakes malfunctioned as he...
Missing Dog Found on
Ledge 50 Yards Above Creek
Dec 14, 2021 9:29 PM CST
Missing Dog Found on Ledge 50 Yards Above Creek
She was reunited with owners after daring rescue
- A dog missing for two weeks in Colorado was rescued from a ledge about 50 yards above a creek and is now back home, the AP reports. The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region says that after it received a call about a dog stuck on a cliff overlooking...
Truck Driver Who Caused
Deadly Crash Gets 110 Years
Dec 14, 2021 6:07 PM CST
Truck Driver Who Caused Deadly Crash Gets 110 Years
Colorado law requires Rogel Aguilera-Mederos to serve 16 sentences consecutively
: A truck driver who slammed into traffic on I-70 in Colorado in 2019, leaving four people dead and six others injured, has been sentenced to 110 years in prison. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, 26, said his brakes failed, but prosecutors said his reckless behavior and bad decisions—especially his failure to...
Denver Without Snow in
December: It's 'Unheard Of'
Dec 1, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Denver Without Snow in December: It's 'Unheard Of'
City could log 2nd-longest period without snow within days
- Never in recorded history has Denver entered December without logging some snowfall—until now. The city, which has yet to receive its first measurable snow (more than a tenth of an inch) of the 2021 winter season, has blown past its previous record for the latest first snowfall set on...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
Boris Johnson Resigns: 'Them's the Breaks'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.