Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For 2 Internet Giants of Old,
Another Change of Hands
May 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
For 2 Internet Giants of Old, Another Change of Hands
Verizon sells Yahoo and AOL
- AOL and Yahoo are being sold again, this time to a private equity firm. Verizon will sell Verizon Media, which consists of the pioneering tech platforms, to Apollo Global Management in a $5 billion deal, per the AP . Verizon said Monday that it will keep a 10% stake in the...
Verizon's Advice on Saving
Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Mar 1, 2021 8:39 AM CST
Verizon's Advice on Saving Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Tweet indirectly suggested turning off 5G, which the company has been heavily promoting
- Just last week, MarketWatch asked: "Will 5G ever live up to the hype?" According to those who spotted now-deleted tweets from Verizon about the much-promoted cellular technology, it looks like the answer, at least for now, is somewhat of a no. The Verge first spotted the company's Sunday...
One Digital Media Giant
Nov 19, 2020 1:54 PM CST
One Digital Media Giant Acquires Another
BuzzFeed to buy HuffPost
- BuzzFeed is buying HuffPost from Verizon as part of a bigger deal that has the wireless giant investing in the digital-media company, per the AP . BuzzFeed and Verizon did not disclose terms of the deal. Verizon will be a minority shareholder in BuzzFeed, and the two companies will partner on...
Nov 14, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Razr Returns, Only Different
Motorola includes a functioning retro mode for reliving the original
- Motorola is bracing for the future by returning to the past . The company is adapting its historical flip-phone design for a smartphone with a foldable screen. Samsung, Huawei, and others have phones that fold like a book and offer a double-size display when unfolded. Motorola’s new Razr phone, on...
Did You Get a
Weird Text This
May Be Why
Nov 8, 2019 9:55 AM CST
Did You Get a Weird Text This Week? This May Be Why
Telecom glitch caused people to get 'ghost' texts from people who didn't send them
- If you recently received a strange text that doesn't make any sense from someone you know, you're not alone—and a Maine radio station appears to have helped solve the mystery. Per
, lots of head-scratching has been happening over the past couple of days, with people...
Tumblr Sells for a Song
Aug 12, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Tumblr Sells for a Song
New owner is parent of WordPress
- Buying Tumblr in 2013 required a check for more than $1 billion. It's selling again, but this time for not much of anything, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Automattic—which owns WordPress, an online publishing tool—will absorb about 200 Tumblr employees. Yahoo, which wrote that check in 2013,...
Now, a 'Disruptive
Force in Wireless'
Jul 26, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
DOJ Approves $26.5B Deal. Now, a 'Disruptive Force in Wireless'
T-Mobile greenlit to take over Sprint, while Dish now enters the arena as 4th big wireless company
- US regulators are approving T-Mobile's $26.5 billion takeover of rival Sprint, despite fears of higher prices and job cuts. Friday's approval by the Justice Department and five state attorneys general comes after Sprint and T-Mobile agreed to conditions that would set up satellite-TV provider Dish as a...
Muddy the Race to 5G
Apr 6, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
Conflicting Claims Muddy the Race to 5G
South Korea, AT&T, and Verizon Say They're First
- Determining a winner in the 5G race just gets murkier. On Wednesday, South Korean officials said they had topped the US and China, achieving the first commercial launch of a fifth-generation telecoms network after connecting to a 5G phone. AT&T and Verizon didn't take that well, Reuters reports....
Mar 26, 2019 4:40 AM CDT
Worker Rescues Stranded Cat, Gets Suspended
Verizon says he violated safety rules
- A Verizon worker who rescued a stranded cat from a utility pole in Philadelphia has discovered that there's some truth in the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." The company suspended Maurice German for three weeks without pay after he used his bucket truck to rescue "...
Verizon Comes Close to
Dumping Disney Channels
Dec 30, 2018 3:15 PM CST
Verizon Comes Close to Dumping Disney Channels
But the two companies hash out a deal
- Verizon customers can continue to watch ESPN, ABC, and other channels owned by Disney after the two companies announced a deal over programming fees, the AP reports. The telecommunications giant and the entertainment company say in a joint statement Sunday: "Verizon and The Walt Disney Company have reached a...
Calif. Fire Chief: Verizon Slowed
Our Data as We Fought Blaze
Aug 22, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
Calif. Fire Chief: Verizon Slowed Our Data as We Fought Blaze
Led to 'significant impact on our ability to provide emergency services,' lawsuit declaration says
- Anxiety over how the absence of net neutrality rules could affect things has manifested itself in California. Ars Technica reports on a new lawsuit that includes a statement from Santa Clara County Fire Chief Anthony Bowden alleging Verizon throttled the fire department's data services (specifically tied to its vehicle...
Pruitt Placed Single Call
From His $43K Phone Booth
Aug 21, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Pruitt Placed Single Call From His $43K Phone Booth
How many incoming calls the former EPA head received is unknown
- Scott Pruitt is no longer head of the Environmental Protection Agency, but the saga of his $43,000 phone booth isn't quite over. The
is out with one last financial tidbit courtesy of the Sierra Club, which sued the EPA to access records related to Pruitt. It...
Here Is What You Shouldn't
Do When Your Phone Is Broken
Jul 27, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Here Is What You Shouldn't Do When Your Phone Is Broken
Police say NC man, 74, deliberately drove his car through a Verizon Wireless front window
- A 74-year-old man ranting about a broken phone drove his car through the glass storefront of a Verizon Wireless store in North Carolina, authorities said Friday, stunning shoppers during the dinner hour at an upscale mall. Charles Michael Hager was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and damaging property...
Collusion Accusations Hit
Telecom's 2 Biggest Firms
Apr 21, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Collusion Accusations Hit Telecom's 2 Biggest Firms
Verizon, AT&T being investigated by DOJ for possibly suppressing SIM card technology
- The word "collusion" is being bandied about again, but this time it involves the world of telecommunications, not DC . Verizon, AT&T, and standards group GSMA tell the AP the Justice Department has opened up an antitrust probe to see if they worked together to make it more difficult...
Yahoo Is No More
Jun 13, 2017 1:18 PM CDT
It's Official: Yahoo Is No More
CEO Marissa Mayer posts a goodbye letter
- It's official: Verizon has snatched up Yahoo in a long-anticipated $4.48 billion deal completed Tuesday that will see Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer exit with a healthy payout. Mayer will walk away with $23 million, plus stock holdings worth $200 million, report
and CNBC . In a "goodbye...
Marissa Mayer Could
Walk With $186M
Apr 25, 2017 12:47 AM CDT
Marissa Mayer Could Walk With $186M
Filings suggest she will make at least that much
- Her years in charge of Yahoo haven't been what you would call an unqualified success, but Marissa Mayer still stands to make $186 million if the company's sale to Verizon goes ahead June 8. That figure includes the CEO's Yahoo stock, stock options, and restricted stock units...
Internet Pokes Fun at Name
for Combined AOL-Yahoo
Apr 4, 2017 6:25 AM CDT
Internet Pokes Fun at Name for Combined AOL-Yahoo
It's a 'special kind of bad'
- If you merge the letters from AOL and Yahoo, take a few away, and add a "t," you have Oath, which is what Verizon is planning to call a new entity combining the two companies after its acquisition of Yahoo is complete. "Billion+ Consumers, 20+ Brands, Unstoppable...
Verizon Getting 7% Discount
on Yahoo After Massive Hacks
Feb 21, 2017 1:48 PM CST
Verizon Getting 7% Discount on Yahoo After Massive Hacks
The deal, now worth $4.48B, is still on
- Seven months ago, Verizon agreed to buy Yahoo for $4.83 billion, the AP reports. Since then, Yahoo has revealed itself to have been the victim of the two biggest data breaches ever, resulting in information from more than a billion users being stolen. According to the
AT&T Joins All Its Rivals
With an Unlimited Plan
Feb 17, 2017 8:53 AM CST
AT&T Joins All Its Rivals With an Unlimited Plan
For an individual, it's pricier than the others
- AT&T says any cellphone customer can sign up for unlimited data plans starting Friday, a change that comes just days after Verizon announced a similar move and Sprint and T-Mobile beefed up their offerings. All four major cellphone providers now offer unlimited plans, a major reversal from a few...
Verizon Does U-Turn
on Unlimited Data
Feb 13, 2017 4:36 AM CST
Verizon Does U-Turn on Unlimited Data
Firm offers new package for $80 per month
- Unlimited data plans are back in style: Verizon, which scrapped its unlimited plans in 2011, is rolling out a new unlimited plan Monday, with data, calls, and texting starting at $80 per month or $45 for each line in a four-line family plan. As with many of today's "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.