Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rare Snowy Owl
Jan 10, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Rare Snowy Owl Captivates DC
Visitor is a 'piece of the Arctic in downtown'
- A snowy owl apparently touring iconic buildings of the nation's capital is captivating birdwatchers who manage to get a glimpse of the rare, resplendent visitor from the Arctic. Far from its summer breeding grounds in Canada, the snowy owl was first seen on January 3, the day a winter...
Weather Briefly Traps
Biden on Air Force One
Jan 3, 2022 3:01 PM CST
Weather Briefly Traps Biden on Air Force One
He returned from Delaware in snowstorm
- President Biden's return to the White House Monday took place in conditions that at times resembled Napoleon's retreat from Moscow. Biden, returning from an eight-day visit to Delaware for the holidays, was stuck on Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base with his staff for around half...
Researchers Follow Zika Babies
Looking for COVID Answers
Dec 27, 2021 1:41 PM CST
Researchers Follow Zika Babies Looking for COVID Answers
Study follows kids whose moms were infected with mosquito-borne disease
- Whatever happened with Zika? The outbreak in 2015 and 2016 was largely over by 2017, but its effects on babies whose moms were infected with the virus are still being felt. Some babies were born with microcephaly —a condition marked by an unusually small head and problems with brain...
These US Cities Have the
Most, Least Holiday Spirit
Dec 15, 2021 9:30 AM CST
These US Cities Have the Most, Least Holiday Spirit
New York City is the most festive of all, while Enterprise, Nev., is a bit of a Grinch
- With 2022 almost upon us, it's the time of year when we wind down and kick back, which often includes a fair bit of festivities. LawnStarter wanted to know which places boast the most spirit of the season, so the site looked at the 200 largest cities in the...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Proud Boys Leader to Stay
in Jail, Despite the Conditions
Nov 24, 2021 1:56 PM CST
Proud Boys Leader to Stay in Jail, Despite the Conditions
Judge rules solution to the problem isn't to release Enrique Tarrio
: Enrique Tarrio has lost his bid to be released from jail early. A judge has ruled that the Proud Boys leader will not be put on house arrest or have his sentence reduced just because he complained about conditions in the District of Columbia Jail, the
'Mike Is a Cheater'
Ends Up on
Nov 18, 2021 1:51 PM CST
'Mike Is a Cheater' Spray-Paint Note Ends Up on Wrong Car
Nedra Brantley doesn't know a Mike, or why someone would vandalize her SUV
- Someone was apparently really upset that Mike cheated on them. So upset, in fact, that they didn't bother to check if the vehicle they vandalized to get back at Mike had any actual connection to Mike. Who's Mike? No one's sure, especially Nedra Brantley, the owner of...
Feds: Radio Host Caught
With Capitol Cop's Stolen Hat
Oct 19, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Feds: Radio Host Caught With Capitol Cop's Stolen Hat
Darrell Neely is facing numerous charges related to Jan. 6
- Federal authorities say a right-wing radio host stole a baseball cap worn by a US Capitol Police officer during the Jan. 6 riot, then wore it during a live airing of his show. Three witnesses at the Global Enlightenment Radio Network , run by Darrell Neely, told the FBI that Neely...
in Climate Protest
Oct 15, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Arrests Mount in Climate Protest
Indigenous, environmental groups push Biden and Congress on fossil fuel projects
- Indigenous groups and other environmental activists marched to the Capitol on Friday as they continued a weeklong protest demanding that Congress and the Biden administration stop new fossil fuel projects and act with greater urgency on climate change. Nearly 80 people were arrested on the fifth day of the "...
Across US, Women
March for Abortion Rights
Oct 2, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Across US, Women March for Abortion Rights
Demonstrators take their message to the Supreme Court
- The first Women's March of the Biden administration headed straight for the steps of the Supreme Court on Saturday, part of nationwide protests demanding continued access to abortion in a year when lawmakers and judges have put it in jeopardy. Thousands filled the streets surrounding the court, shouting "...
Capitol Fencing to Return
Before Pro-Rioter Rally
Sep 13, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Capitol Fencing to Return Before Pro-Rioter Rally
Police increase preparations to prevent another riot
- Security officials have stepped up their preparation for the rally planned for Saturday in support of the rioters who attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6. The temporary fencing around the building that was taken down over the summer will be back up by then, Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said...
Man With Swastika on Truck,
Bayonet Arrested Near DNC
Sep 13, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Man With Swastika on Truck, Bayonet Arrested Near DNC
California man's father: 'He's not well'
- Less than a week before a right-wing rally is scheduled to take place near the Capitol in Washington, DC, a man with a bayonet and machete was arrested near the Democratic National Committee headquarters. Capitol Police spotted a gray Dodge Dakota with swastika on a side mirror and an American...
Aug 28, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Voting Rights Rallies Draw Thousands
Speakers put pressure on Biden as well as Congress for protections
- Thousands of people rallied across the US on Saturday to call for sweeping federal laws to wipe out election legislation advancing in some Republican-controlled states that could make it harder to cast a ballot. Many activists view the fight over voting rules as the civil rights issue of the era....
Bomb Threat Suspect Tells
Judge He's Off His Meds
Aug 20, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Bomb Threat Suspect Tells Judge He's Off His Meds
Mental exam is ordered for Floyd Ray Roseberry
- A man who claimed he had a bomb in a pickup truck near the US Capitol, prompting evacuations and an hourslong standoff with police, told a federal judge Friday he has not taken his "mind medication" and was ordered to undergo a mental competency hearing. Floyd Ray Roseberry appeared...
Details Emerge About Man
Arrested in DC Bomb Threat
Aug 20, 2021 12:41 AM CDT
Details Emerge About Man Arrested in DC Bomb Threat
Wife says he has mental health issues, was upset with results of presidential election
- Details are coming out about the man arrested in Washington, DC, Thursday after a bomb threat resulted in a five-hour-long standoff and caused buildings around the US Capitol to be evacuated. Suspect Floyd Ray Roseberry, 49, of North Carolina, "was dealing with" some issues, among them the recent deaths...
Man Claiming to Have Bomb
Near Capitol Surrenders
Aug 19, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Man Claiming to Have Bomb Near Capitol Surrenders
Floyd Ray Roseberry is taken into custody after standoff
- A man who claimed to have bomb in a pickup truck near the US Capitol has surrendered to law enforcement, ending an hourslong standoff on Thursday, per the AP . The man, identified by law enforcement officials as Floyd Ray Roseberry, 49, of North Carolina, crawled out of the vehicle and...
Pete and Chasten Buttigieg
Reveal They've Become Parents
Aug 17, 2021 3:16 PM CDT
Pete and Chasten Buttigieg Reveal They've Become Parents
The transportation secretary and his teacher husband had been trying to adopt a baby
- Pete and Chasten Buttigieg are dads! And that’s all we know so far. The transportation secretary formerly known as Mayor Pete tweeted the joyful news, accompanied with gratitude for privacy. “We’re overjoyed to share that we’ve become parents! The process isn’t done yet and we’...
Online Sleuths Say They
Found Attacker, Widow Sues
Aug 15, 2021 4:59 PM CDT
Online Sleuths Say They Found Attacker, Widow Sues
DC cop who died by suicide was injured in Jan. 6 attack
- Jeffrey Smith was an officer with the Metropolitan Police in Washington, DC. He was attacked by rioters while defending the US Capitol from attack on Jan. 6, suffered a traumatic brain injury and, the day after he was sent back to work, shot and killed himself. A lawyer representing his...
Married Seattle Cops Who
Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Aug 7, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
Married Seattle Cops Who Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Alexander and Caitlin Everett, who are married, said they didn't know there was an attack
- Two Seattle police officers, a married couple, have been fired for their presence at the US Capitol riot on Jan. 6. Alexander and Caitlin Everett say they were only attending a political event. But photos and video shot that day show them standing in a restricted area, in full view...
Police Officer Killed in
Stabbing Outside Pentagon
Aug 3, 2021 7:49 PM CDT
Police Officer Killed in Stabbing Outside Pentagon
Officials say attacker was shot dead after ambushing officer outside military HQ
- A Pentagon police officer died after being stabbed Tuesday during a burst of violence at a transit station outside the Pentagon, and a suspect in the incident was shot by law enforcement and died at the scene, the Pentagon confirmed Tuesday. The building, the headquarters of the US military, was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
Judge Disagrees With Rioter About Who the Patriots Were
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.