Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Where America's Pension
System Ranks in the World
Oct 19, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Where America's Pension System Ranks in the World
Not so great: It's No. 22 out of 47 nations ranked
- An annual assessment of the world's pension systems finds the US to be in "meh" territory. America ranked No. 22 out of 47 nations in the Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index , with an overall grade out of 63 out of 100, or C+. "In the US,...
Retirement Plan Is a Go
Apr 14, 2023 1:16 PM CDT
Macron's Despised Retirement Plan Is a Go
Top court signed off on plan on Friday
- There have been 12 days of protests organized over the past three months against French President Emmanuel Macron's decision to up the retirement age from 62 to 64, and a 13th—and more beyond that—are looking likely. France's top court on Friday approved the unpopular plan and...
The French Are Really Mad
Mar 24, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
The French Are Really Mad
City Hall set ablaze in Bordeaux, cops clash with protesters in Paris over changes to pension system
- Last week, French President Emmanuel Macron bypassed Parliament and raised the age of retirement from 62 to 64, an unpopular move that left citizens "seething." Anger over the proposal has been bubbling up into strikes and protests since January, but the mostly peaceful demonstrations have also made way...
Despite Protests Ahead, France
Won't Budge on Retirement Age
Jan 29, 2023 1:05 PM CST
Despite Protests Ahead, France Won't Budge on Retirement Age
Prime minister calls change to 64 'nonnegotiable'
- After more than a million people poured into the streets earlier this month to protest President Emmanuel Macron's planned changes to France's pension system, government officials suggested there might be room for compromise. On Sunday, they made clear that doesn't include a reconsideration of raising the retirement...
Who Lost Full
Jul 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
GM Retirees Who Lost Full Pensions Turn to Congress
Bankruptcy deal cut payments and benefits for 20K Delphi workers
- Dave Muffley thought he had it made when it came to a solid retirement. The Indiana man spent roughly 30 years as a salaried maintenance technician for Delphi Corp., a subsidiary of General Motors, and expected to retire with a comfortable income by the time he hit 62. But when...
Civil War Widow Kept
Her Secret for Decades
Jan 8, 2021 12:30 AM CST
Civil War Widow Kept Her Secret for Decades
As a teenager, Helen Viola Jackson married a 93-year-old veteran
- Helen Viola Jackson's 1936 marriage to James Bolin was unusual, to say the least: He was 93 and in declining health, and she was a 17-year-old schoolgirl. Bolin was also a Civil War veteran who fought for the Union in the border state of Missouri. Jackson was almost certainly...
Report: If Convicted, Chauvin
Still Stands to Collect Pension
Jun 12, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Report: If Convicted, Chauvin Still Stands to Collect Pension
CNN reports he could receive $1.5M in benefits over 30 years
- Derek Chauvin, the Minnesota police officer charged with killing George Floyd, stands to receive a pension whose value could end up topping $1 million—even if convicted. That's according to CNN , which reports Minnesota does not have a law ordering the forfeiture of pensions for employees convicted of felonies...
Tied to Civil War
Has Been Paid Out
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Irene Triplett, last child of Civil War veteran getting a pension, has died at 90
- The word "mind-bending" features in the
Wall Street Journal
's obituary on Irene Triplett and her place in history, with good reason. The 90-year-old died Sunday in a Wilkesboro, NC, nursing home, bringing an end to the final pension that had been paid out in connection with the...
Finance Bigwig at
Summit: 'I Want to
Talk About What's
in Your Pants'
Oct 17, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Finance Bigwig at Summit: 'I Want to Talk About What's in Your Pants'
Fisher Investments has now lost nearly $1B after sexist remarks at CEO conference
- Cities across the US have entrusted Fisher Investments with shepherding their pension investments, but several have now bailed after the firm's founder made sexist comments at a conference in San Francisco last week. CNBC reports the city of Boston is the latest to drop Fisher, withdrawing nearly $250 million...
Cop Shocks Wife With New
Will After Killing Himself
Jul 8, 2018 11:30 AM CDT
Cop Shocks Wife With New Will After Killing Himself
Mike Smith wanted his Russian-born girlfriend to have everything
- On the one hand, there's his wife. On the other, his blonde, Russian-born, NYPD lieutenant girlfriend. Who will receive the $810,000 pension benefits of Brooklyn cop Mike Smith after he shot himself in the head in his apartment in 2017? Complicating matters is the fact that Smith died...
He Didn't Enter School During
Shooting, Gets Huge Pension
May 16, 2018 8:23 AM CDT
He Didn't Enter School During Shooting, Gets Huge Pension
'This infuriates me,' parent of Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting victim says
- The school resource officer widely criticized for his response to the Feb. 14 Parkland shooting is now the target of abuse over his six-figure pension. Scot Peterson, 55, who retired a week after 17 people died in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as he stood outside, began...
Obama's Pension Now Under
May 4, 2017 10:06 AM CDT
Obama's Pension Now Under Congressional Microscope
Jason Chaffetz wants to re-up vetoed bill that would cap, limit ex-presidents' allowances
- Jason Chaffetz had a concise response to a Wednesday
headline, which read "Obama's $400,000 speech could prompt Congress to go after his pension": "Yes, it will." That speech, one Obama will make at a Cantor Fitzgerald conference, is earning him some heat , prompting...
Early Cheerleaders of 401(k)
Plans Are Now Changing Tune
Jan 3, 2017 12:16 PM CST
Early Cheerleaders of 401(k) Plans Are Now Changing Tune
They point to major issues, such as dependence on stock market, high fees
- When 401(k) plans emerged in the '80s, they were supposed to complement pensions, not replace them. But as the
Wall Street Journal
reports, only 13% of workers in the private sector today hold pensions thanks to the 401(k) revolution—and original proponents of the tax-deferred savings plans are now...
Nov 28, 2016 5:57 PM CST
Hastert Fights for $17K-a-Year Teacher's Pension
It's $17K a year, and disgraced ex-House speaker says he's entitled to it
- Dennis Hastert is serving a 15-month prison term in a hush-money case that stemmed from his sexual abuse of students when he taught at an Illinois public school over 35 years ago—and the ex-US House speaker is now pointing to a technicality to argue that a state body should...
May Lose Pension
Under Law He Signed
Sep 6, 2014 11:33 AM CDT
Bob McDonnell May Lose Pension Under Law He Signed
Former Virginia governor is now a felon
- New felon Bob McDonnell might have a much lighter wallet thanks to a bill that he signed into law in his former life as a governor. As CBS 6 explains, the 2011 Virginia law prohibits state employees from collecting their pensions if convicted of a felony. The misdeed must...
on Debt Ceiling
Feb 11, 2014 9:30 AM CST
Boehner Calls No-Strings Vote on Debt Ceiling
Boehner drops plan for military pension rider
- With the clock ticking, House Republicans ditched their last attempt to tie a policy rider to the debt ceiling today. John Boehner told fellow Republicans that he would instead bring a "clean" bill to the floor, raising the debt ceiling without conditions, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Yesterday, Boehner...
Detroit Went Way
Sep 26, 2013 7:52 AM CDT
Detroit Went Way Overboard Paying Pensions: Report
Money went to workers who hadn't retired
- In its path to declaring bankruptcy , Detroit didn't help itself on the pension front: The city, it seems, was overly generous with its pension payments to the tune of billions of dollars. The city offered extra cash to workers still on the job, while retirees got bonuses and families...
We've Got a Choice:
Schools or Nursing Homes?
Aug 5, 2013 1:43 PM CDT
We've Got a Choice: Schools or Nursing Homes?
Robert Samuelson doesn't think our economy is strong enough to pay pensions
- If anyone tries to tell you that Detroit's bankruptcy is an isolated incident, "don't be fooled," writes Robert Samuelson at the
. The truth is that for governments across the country, "the scramble for scarce resources is intensifying. Schools compete with nursing homes."...
Welcome to 'Unsteady
States of America'
Jul 26, 2013 11:25 AM CDT
Welcome to 'Unsteady States of America'
'Economist' magazine sees Detroit as warning signal to nation
has a cheery new nickname for the US: "the Unsteady States of America." In an editorial that accompanies a cover story on Detroit's bankruptcy , the editors argue that other cities and states will make a huge mistake if they dismiss this warning. Yes, Detroit is...
NJ Sent $24M
May 30, 2013 11:32 AM CDT
NJ Sent $24M in Benefits— to Prisoners
Agencies didn't check databases to see if recipients were in prison
- New Jersey sent nearly $24 million in taxpayer money to prisoners in the form of unemployment, welfare, pension, and other benefits, reports the
New York Times
. An audit released yesterday uncovered 20,000 prisoners who received benefit money between July 2009 and April 2011, including tales such as one man...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.