Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
College Valedictorian Hasn't
Spoken Since She Was a Baby
May 13, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
College Valedictorian Hasn't Spoken Since She Was a Baby
Graduate with nonspeaking autism delivers inspiring address at Rollins College
- "God gave you a voice. Use it," valedictorian Elizabeth Bonker told classmates at her Florida college in a commencement address Sunday. "And no, the irony of a nonspeaking autistic encouraging you to use your voice is not lost on me. Because if you can see the worth...
CDC Reports Uptick in
Kids Diagnosed With Autism
Dec 3, 2021 9:28 AM CST
CDC Reports Uptick in Kids Diagnosed With Autism
2018 data suggests 1 in 44 kids in US have condition; in 2016, it was 1 in 54
- New autism numbers released Thursday suggest more US children are being diagnosed with the developmental condition—and at younger ages. In an analysis of 2018 data from nearly a dozen states, researchers at the CDC found that among 8-year-olds, 1 in 44 had been diagnosed with autism. That rate compares...
as an Adult
Jul 28, 2021 3:00 AM CDT
Star Diagnosed With Autism as an Adult
Wentworth Miller reveals his recent journey
star Wentworth Miller revealed Sunday that last fall, he was diagnosed with autism. "Let's just say it was a shock. But not a surprise," he writes on Instagram . But for anyone expecting him to immediately become outspoken about autism, think again. "Right now my...
Cover Letter Is So Popular That
LinkedIn Had to Shut It Down
in case you missed it
Mar 21, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Cover Letter Is So Popular That LinkedIn Had to Shut It Down
Ryan Lowry, 20, has autism, but his viral open letter on job site has opened floodgates of support
- Making your cover letter stand out can be a tough task, but Ryan Lowry managed to do just that during his job search. Per CNN , the 20-year-old from Leesburg, Va., recently posted a handwritten open letter on LinkedIn seeking an opportunity in IT or animation, noting his "unique sense...
What Critics Are
Saying About Sia's
Feb 11, 2021 7:24 AM CST
What Critics Are Saying About Sia's Controversial New Film
'Music,' about a teen girl on the autism spectrum, is getting widely panned
- It's been a tumultuous few months for Sia Furler, whose new film,
, officially comes out Friday amid a good amount of controversy. Furler's directorial debut—about a newly sober drug dealer named Zu (played by Kate Hudson) who suddenly finds herself the caretaker of her teen half-sister...
After Second Wave
of Movie Criticism,
Sia Quits Twitter
Feb 5, 2021 6:42 AM CST
After Second Wave of Movie Criticism, Sia Quits Twitter
Singer-director first apologized to autism community over criticism of 'Music'
- Controversy over pop star Sia's directorial debut came to a head Tuesday as
was nominated for two Golden Globes , including best musical or comedy. Hours later, Sia apologized to the autism community, which has been openly critical of the film's portrayal of the titular nonverbal autistic character...
Police: Mom Drowned Her
'Voiceless' Son in a Canal
May 23, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Police: Mom Drowned Her 'Voiceless' Son in a Canal
Patricia Ripley, 45, has been charged in Florida
- A Miami woman faked her son's abduction after trying to drown him twice, with witnesses rescuing the boy from a canal the first time, and the second attempt ending in the boy's death, officials said Saturday. Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Patricia Ripley, 45, is facing...
Autistic Son 'Is
Feb 28, 2020 9:21 AM CST
Parents: Our Autistic Son 'Is Being Shunned' by Church
NJ couple says 8-year-old was turned down for first Holy Communion because he's nonverbal
- A New Jersey couple is railing against their church for a "disgraceful and disheartening" act against their 8-year-old son, which they say is due to his disability. Per NBC News , Anthony LaCugna is autistic and nonverbal, and because of that, his parents say, Saint Aloysius Church in Jackson refused...
Could Get Me
Nov 23, 2019 1:35 PM CST
Teacher: Act of Kindness Could Get Me 15 Years
Amy Martz says she only wanted to help a little girl
- A Utah teacher says she was just trying to help a little girl find her parents. The result: a first-degree kidnapping charge. Amy Martz, who teaches sixth grade at Fox Hollow Elementary in West Jordan, calls the felony charge "life-altering." "I've dedicated my life to helping...
After Autistic Boy's Death,
Felony Charges for School
Nov 14, 2019 9:19 AM CST
After Autistic Boy's Death, Felony Charges for School
Max Benson died after employees held him down
- Three employees of a now-shuttered California school for students with special needs have been charged with manslaughter in the death of a boy with autism. Max Benson, 13, died last November after he was physically restrained for nearly two hours at the Guiding Hands School in El Dorado Hills, east...
Cops Couldn't Find
Missing Boy. They
Went to Plan B
Sep 18, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Cops Couldn't Find Missing Boy. They Went to Plan B
K9 team tracks down 3-year-old with autism in 28 minutes in Florida
- For two hours on Sunday, sheriff's deputies methodically scoured the woods in a Pensacola suburb, frantically searching for a 3-year-old boy with autism who'd vanished. They came up empty, so they decided to pull out the big guns: the K9 team. "Once the [dogs] hit the ground,...
Despite 10 Years
People Still Drink
Aug 14, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Despite 10 Years of Warnings, People Still Drink Dangerous 'Cure'
FDA: Taking sodium chlorite products like Miracle Mineral Solution is basically drinking bleach
- It's OK to believe in miracles, but drinking bleach for your ailments isn't going to lead to one. That's effectively what people are doing when they quaff a product known as Miracle Mineral Solution, and other products like it that promise a cure for autism, cancer, HIV,...
Man's Kindness Toward Scared
Young Seatmate Goes Viral
in case you missed it
Jul 6, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Man's Kindness Toward Scared Young Seatmate Goes Viral
Ben Pedraza made sure 7-year-old autistic boy had fun and felt safe during his flight
- Alexa Bjornson was anxious about sending her 7-year-old son, Landon, on a plane by himself to see his dad in Oregon—not just because of Landon's age, but because he has high-functioning autism and was nervous about flying alone, per KATU . And so Bjornson penned a note to whoever...
They Stole a
Then Found Out
What It Was
Jun 30, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
They Stole a Porch Package, Then Found Out What It Was
Thieves apologize, return replica belt meant for sick 5-year-old with brain tumor, autism
- Thieves swiped a wrestling belt replica that belonged to a sick 5-year-old Delaware boy—but this story has a somewhat happy ending. Timothy Vick Sr. tells WBOC that little Timmy Vick was diagnosed with autism when he was just a toddler, but then, another development in October: Timmy had a...
How 'Old Town Road'
Sparked a Boy's 'Miracle'
Jun 9, 2019 4:35 PM CDT
How 'Old Town Road' Sparked a Boy's 'Miracle'
Minnesota mom Sheletta Brundidge couldn't believe it
- "I was crying so hard that tears were dropping on his head. I was like, 'This is the beginning. This is the light!'" So says a Minnesota mom after the hit song "Old Town Road" appeared to transform the life of her autistic son Daniel,...
She Was Told
She'd Never Have
Friends. Now, a
Beauty Pageant First
Jun 8, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
She Was Told She'd Never Have Friends. Now, a Beauty Pageant First
Rachel Barcellona will be first contestant with autism to compete for Miss Florida title
- When Rachel Barcellona was young, she received a devastating diagnosis: She had autism, and her family was told she would likely never graduate from any school, nor make friends. Now, WFLA details a big event coming up for the 22-year-old University of South Florida student: the Miss Florida beauty pageant,...
Boy With Autism
Wins School Award
Jun 6, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Boy With Autism Wins School Award —Then, Outrage
'Most annoying' was no compliment, say parents
- Indiana's Akalis Castejon was proud to receive a trophy topped with a gold star at a fifth grade awards luncheon at Bailly Preparatory Academy in Gary last month. His parents, however, were peeved. While other students received awards for "best student," "most improved," and "...
RFK Jr. Is
May 8, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
We're All Family. But RFK Jr. Is So Wrong
Three Kennedys resist his anti-vaccination claims
- With measles on the rise again, three voices are standing up to Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s claims about vaccines—and they're all Kennedys. "We love Bobby," write siblings Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and Joseph Kennedy II, and niece Maeve Kennedy McKean, at Politico . "...However, on...
Amy Schumer: Hubby
Is 'On the Spectrum'
Mar 19, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
Amy Schumer: Hubby Is 'On the Spectrum'
Comedian says she 'knew from the beginning that my husband's brain was a little different than mine'
- Amy Schumer loves her husband because of his autism, not in spite of it. Chef Chris Fischer, whom Schumer married last year , "has autism spectrum disorder. He's on the spectrum," Schumer says in her Netflix special
, which was filmed in Chicago in December and began streaming...
With New Vaccine
Study, 'a Truth Has
Emerged' on Autism
Mar 5, 2019 1:03 AM CST
With New Vaccine Study, 'a Truth Has Emerged' on Autism
Namely, as other studies have noted, that MMR vaccine isn't linked to the developmental disorder
- The Centers for Disease Control and many others have long noted there's no proven link between vaccines and autism, and now the agency has yet another study to back those claims. CNN reports that the research published in the
Annals of Internal Medicine
journal looked to see if there...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
20-Year Search for One of 'World's Most Brutal Killers' Ends
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.