Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Missing Cruise Passenger
Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
Nov 25, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
28-year-old was last seen some 21 hours before his rescue off Louisiana
- A man was drinking with his sister at a bar aboard Carnival's Valor cruise ship following its departure from New Orleans on Wednesday when he stepped away to use the bathroom around 11pm. He never returned. His sister reported his disappearance to crew members around noon Thursday, some 13...
We May Put
Sep 19, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
NYC Mayor: We May Put Migrants on Cruise Ships
Eric Adams suggests the idea as more flood into city
- As New York City scrambles to handle a deluge of migrants bused in from the southern border, Mayor Eric Adams has raised a controversial idea—putting them on cruise ships. "We're examining everything, from the legality of using any type of cruise ship for temporary housing," Adams...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
Carnival Cruise Ship Brawl
Ends in Coast Guard Escort
Jun 29, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Carnival Cruise Ship Brawl Ends in Coast Guard Escort
Up to 60 people were reportedly fighting on ship's dance floor
- Up to 60 people were involved in a brawl on a Carnival cruise ship, which ultimately required a Coast Guard escort back to New York on Tuesday. The fight erupted on a dance floor on the Carnival Magic around 5:20am Tuesday just before the ship was scheduled to wrap...
New Mega Cruise Ship No One
Wants Is Headed for Scrapyard
Jun 22, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
New Mega Cruise Ship No One Wants Is Headed for Scrapyard
Owner of unfinished Global Dream II files for bankruptcy, without a buyer for vessel
- The Global Dream II's maiden voyage will be one its builders probably didn't anticipate: from the shipyard to the scrapyard. Intended to be "one of the world's largest liners," the cruise ship was designed to transport 9,000 passengers and was nearing completion in a...
After 2 Years, CDC Drops
Cruise Travel Notice
Mar 30, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
After 2 Years, CDC Drops Cruise Travel Notice
'Travelers will make their own risk assessment,' agency says
- Less than four months after it urged Americans to avoid cruises , the CDC has dropped its public health notice warning of the risks of cruise travel. The notice was first issued two years ago amid coronavirus outbreaks on ships worldwide. The agency "is removing the COVID-19 Cruise Ship Travel...
When Creditor Comes Calling,
Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
Jan 24, 2022 6:10 AM CST
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
One passenger says they felt like they were 'abducted by luxurious pirates'
- Passengers aboard the Crystal Symphony cruise ship were supposed to dock in Miami on Saturday. Instead, they ended up in the Bahamas after the US issued an arrest warrant for the ship, meaning it would be seized upon arrival, WSVN Miami reports. The ship, owned by Crystal Cruises, changed course...
Cruise Cancels at Sea,
Jan 15, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Norwegian Gem was nearly halfway through its itinerary when COVID issues hit
- Four days into a 10-day cruise, the trip was canceled because of COVID issues. That leaves the passengers who left New York on Sunday floating, stranded at sea,
reports. Any hopes Aimee Focaraccio, who spent the day in St. Maarten, had for an early return were dashed by...
CDC: Don't Take
a Cruise Right Now
Jan 8, 2022 6:30 AM CST
CDC: Don't Take a Cruise Right Now
Royal Caribbean, Norwegian cancel sailings among new COVID surge
- If you've got tickets for an upcoming cruise, better check with your cruise line. This week, two major operators canceled near-future sailings amid the latest COVID surge, starting with Norwegian on Wednesday, reports
. "Our first priority is the health and safety of our guests, crew, and...
Teen Dies After Falling
Overboard on Cruise Ship
Dec 27, 2021 9:03 AM CST
Teen Dies After Falling Overboard on Cruise Ship
Incident happened as MSC Seashore was returning to Miami
- Tragedy about a cruise ship returning to Miami: A 15-year-old boy fell overboard to his death aboard a ship from MSC Cruises on Wednesday evening, reports Fox35 Orlando . The unidentified teen fell from the 16th deck of the MSC Seashore, according to a post at Crew Center . The ship sounded...
Third Florida-Based Cruise
Sees COVID Outbreak
Dec 26, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Third Florida-Based Cruise Sees COVID Outbreak
Carnival Freedom denied entry to Aruba and Bonaire
- For the third time in recent days, a COVID outbreak has been reported on a cruise ship that set sail from Florida, where health officials have reported the highest cases in a single day since the start of the pandemic in 2020. Per CNN , the Carnival Freedom was denied entry...
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship:
'They Were So Overwhelmed'
Dec 20, 2021 11:35 AM CST
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship: 'They Were So Overwhelmed'
4 dozen passengers, crew on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive
- About four dozen passengers and crew on a Dec. 11 sailing on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive for COVID before the ship made it back to Miami on Saturday, the cruise line announced.
reports the number as 44 infected, while NBC Miami puts it...
Woman Falls From Carnival
Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Dec 12, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Woman Falls From Carnival Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Officials say the woman in her 20s fell from her balcony
- The U.S. Coast Guard has stopped looking for a woman who reportedly fell from a cruise ship into the Pacific Ocean near Ensenada, Mexico. Authorities searched for 31 hours, but decided Sunday morning to pause the operation until they have additional information, Petty Officer First Class Adam Stanton told...
Cruise Ship With Infected
in New Orleans
Dec 6, 2021 12:33 AM CST
Cruise Ship With Infected Passengers Docks in New Orleans
At least 17 people on board tested positive for COVID
- A Norwegian Cruise Line ship with at least 17 passengers and crew members infected with COVID-19 docked Sunday in New Orleans, where health officials said they were trying to disembark people without worsening the spread of the coronavirus illness, the AP reports. Local news outlets in New Orleans confirmed the...
Royal Caribbean Wants You
to Come Aboard for 274 Nights
Oct 20, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Royal Caribbean Wants You to Come Aboard for 274 Nights
Its world cruise will hit all 7 continents
- They're dubbing it the "Ultimate World Cruise," and it's easy to see why: Royal Caribbean International on Wednesday announced that in late 2023 its Serenade of the Seas ship will set off on a 274-night voyage that will hit more than 150 destinations in 65 countries...
They Bought a Cruise Ship and
Planned a Utopia. It Didn't Work
Sep 12, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
They Bought a Cruise Ship and Planned a Utopia. It Didn't Work
Inside the short life of the cruise ship Satoshi
- To understand why three men bought themselves a cruise ship last fall, you need to know a little bit about "seasteading." It's the idea of moving to the sea, where, unbound by the land and the governments and regulations tied to it, people could experiment with new...
Woman Tests Positive
for COVID on Cruise,
Dies Days Later
Aug 24, 2021 1:06 AM CDT
Woman Tests Positive for COVID on Cruise, Dies Days Later
Carnival says the 77-year-old 'almost certainly' didn't get COVID on the ship
- Marilyn Tackett was excited to go on her first trip outside the US when she boarded the Carnival Vista cruise ship before it disembarked from Texas on July 31, according to a GoFundMe set up for the 77-year-old Oklahoma woman's family. She went on an excursion with her family...
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to
Travel in Canada You'll Need
Aug 14, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to Travel in Canada You'll Need
Nation announces air travelers, cruise ship passengers will soon need the jab
- Canada opened its doors to fully vaccinated Americans on Monday, causing cars to back up at the border for hours. On Friday, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra made a new travel-related announcement: By sometime this autumn, air travelers, cruise ship passengers, and those taking the train from province to province in...
Carnival Cruise Reports
COVID Cases on Ship
Aug 5, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Carnival Cruise Reports COVID Cases on Ship
Line is tightening its policies as a result
- The COVID pandemic closed down the cruise industry for months. Carnival says the shutdown cost them billions . When the cruise line started sailing again this summer , things were smooth for a while. But some positive coronavirus tests are changing things, and the mask policy is changing on Saturday. A ship...
Lethal Coral Disease
Linked to Cruise Ships
Jul 22, 2021 2:37 PM CDT
Lethal Coral Disease Linked to Cruise Ships
Study suggests wastewater from ships is responsible for SCTLD
- A dangerous new threat to coral reefs might be the fault of cruise ships. A peer-reviewed study suggests ships that improperly dispose of wastewater are causing outbreaks of an unusually lethal and fast-spreading disease known as stony coral tissue loss disease, reports the
. SCTLD first turned up in Florida...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.