Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 402,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Virus-Stricken Cruise Ship Limps Into Miami
Coral Princess docks after weeks of delays with 2 dead, 12 confirmed cases aboard
- Another cruise ship with coronavirus victims on board, including two fatalities, docked in Florida on Saturday. Princess Cruises spokeswoman Negin Kamali said that the Coral Princess ship was docking in Miami. The ship with 1,020 passengers and 878 crew had been in limbo for days awaiting permission to dock....
Florida Lets Ill Passengers Leave Cruise Ships
Hospital agrees to take in 10 patients
- Passengers aboard two cruise ships that have had coronavirus cases and deaths have been given the green light to disembark at a Florida port, an official said Thursday. An agreement was reached among local, state and federal officials and Carnival Corp., which owns the Zaandam and the Rotterdam, said Broward...
4 Die on Cruise Ship Isolated Off Panama
Crews try to move healthy passengers to another ship
- Four passengers have died aboard a cruise ship now anchored off the coast of Panama, and two people aboard the ship have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the cruise line said Friday. Holland America Line said in a post on its Facebook page that more than 130 people aboard...
CDC Finds Clue to Rapid Spread of Virus on Ships
Nearly half of COVID-19 patients on Diamond Princess were asymptomatic
- If you've been wondering how long the coronavirus can live on surfaces after it's been left behind, new data from the Centers for Disease Control reveals that information—and it's a concerning development. In the CDC's weekly "Morbidity and Mortality" report released Monday and cited...
Major Cruise Lines Take 'Bold Action' Amid Virus Outbreak
Viking, Princess Cruises suspend global operations following travel advisory
- With the State Department warning Americans not to travel by cruise ship , two cruise lines are temporarily shutting down. Viking Cruises announced Thursday that it would suspend all operations in response to the coronavirus outbreak. It's "what is best for our guests and our employees," Chairman Torstein...
Lawsuit Filed as Passengers Leave Virus-Stricken Ship
Couple accuses operator of gross negligence
- Passengers on the coronavirus-stricken Grand Princess cruise ship began disembarking in Oakland on Monday—but two passengers didn't wait to leave before they filed a lawsuit. Florida residents Ronald and Eva Weissberger are suing ship operator Princess Cruise Lines for allowing them to be exposed to the virus, CNN...
State Department Warns Americans to Skip Cruises
Warning comes as cruise ship will unload passengers in Oakland
- For more than 2,000 passengers aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship, Monday will be a good day. For residents of Oakland worried about the coronavirus, maybe not as good. The ship has been in limbo off the California coast , but authorities have finally given it the green light to...
Bad News for Cruise Ship Stuck Off Calif. Coast
Looks like the Grand Princess will have to wait at least another day
- A cruise ship hit by the new coronavirus and headed to the port of Oakland, Calif., will remain in international waters for at least another day as officials worked on plans to transport passengers to federal facilities around the country, the AP reports. Local officials in California began ordering the...
Cruise Ship Held Off California After Coronavirus Death
State's first fatality was former Grand Princess passenger
- A cruise ship with more than 2,500 passengers on board is being held off the coast of California after the state's first confirmed death in the coronavirus outbreak. Authorities say the 71-year-old man, who had underlying health issues, is one of three people who were on a round...
Grandfather Will Plead Guilty in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Sam Anello won't face jail time, lawyer says
- An Indiana grandfather has decided to take a plea deal instead of trying to clear his name after the fatal fall that killed 18-month-old Chloe Weigand last year. Attorney Michael Winkleman tells NBC that Sam Anello has decided to plead guilty to a charge of negligent homicide brought by authorities...
Health Expert Visits Ship, Raises Alarm
Kentaro Iwata says controls were so light he feared he would contract disease himself
- The 621 coronavirus cases confirmed on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan represent the most anywhere outside of China. And an infectious diseases expert at Japan's Kobe University has a good idea why. Kentaro Iwata, who worked to combat the spread of Ebola and SARS, spent a...
2 Passengers From Virus-Stricken Ship Die
Both were Japanese citizens in their 80s
- Two elderly passengers taken off the Diamond Princess cruise ship because they were infected with the coronavirus have become the first fatalities from the virus-stricken vessel, Japan's Health Ministry said Thursday.Japan now has three deaths linked to the COVID-19 illness. Japan's NHK public television said both were...
Passengers Finally Let Off Ship Just Want to Go Home
Kept Aboard Over Virus Fears, Hundreds Await Tickets Out of Cambodia
- The cheers of celebration have faded. The waving of roses has ceased. Having finally reached a friendly port in Cambodia willing to accept them after nearly two weeks of uncertainty at sea, hundreds of cruise ship passengers eyed warily over fears of a new virus are now simply trying to...
Diamond Princess Quarantine: an Epic Failure?
Experts suggest the coronavirus quarantine on cruise ship may have been less than rigorous
- As an extraordinary two-week quarantine of a cruise ship ends Wednesday in Japan, many scientists say it was a failed experiment: The ship seemed to serve as an incubator for the new virus from China instead of an isolation facility meant to prevent the worsening of an outbreak. Since the...
After Letting Passengers Go, a Nasty Surprise
An American woman who left quarantined cruise ship in Cambodia is diagnosed with coronavirus
- It might have been a catastrophically bad call. Authorities let passengers on a cruise ship docked in Cambodia disembark, insisting none of them had the coronavirus. Not so much. An American woman who was among several hundred passengers allowed to get off the MS Westerdam over the weekend set off...
US Evacuates Americans From Ship, But Some Aren't Happy
14 passengers on evacuation flights tested positive for coronavirus
- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US almost doubled overnight with the arrival of two planes carrying American citizens evacuated from a cruise ship in Japan. Officials say they were notified during the evacuation process that 14 of the passengers had tested positive for COVID-19, reports CNBC . The...
Ship Rejected by 5 Countries Anchors Off Cambodia
Passengers will be allowed to disembark after health checks
- A cruise ship turned away by other Asian and Pacific governments due to virus fears anchored Thursday off Cambodia, which is checking the health of its 2,200 passengers and crew. The Westerdam was unwelcome elsewhere even though operator Holland America Line said no cases of the COVID-19 viral illness...
It's the Misery Cruise That Won't End
What life is like about quarantined cruise ship
- A dozen people have the new coronavirus inside the US, according to the CDC . But twice that many Americans have fallen ill abroad from one cruise ship alone. These were the people who had the misfortune to board the Diamond Princess, which is now docked in Japan and under quarantine....
She Said She Wanted a Divorce. Then, a Cruise Ship Nightmare
Kenneth Ray Manzanares pleads guilty to brutal killing of his wife on Emerald Princess
- A family vacation took a terrible turn aboard a Princess Cruises ship, and now the legal repercussions continue for one of the vacationers. Fox 13 reports that 42-year-old Kenneth Ray Manzanares has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the killing of his wife, Kristy Manzanares, during a cruise to Alaska...
41 New Coronavirus Cases Found on Quarantined Ship
Death toll in China rises to 636
- Japan on Friday reported 41 new cases of a virus on a cruise ship that's been quarantined in Yokohama harbor while the death toll in mainland China rose to 636, including a doctor who got in trouble with authorities for sounding an early warning about the disease threat. Two...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Accused Astronaut of a Space Crime. Now, a Twist
Amazon Pulls Plug on Amazon Shipping
A Lot of New Yorkers Are Dying at Home. That's a Big Deal
Coronavirus Is Hitting One Community Particularly Hard
The Ominous Day in the US Just Changed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.