Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
In Photos, Soldiers Drink From
Dead Man's Prosthetic Leg
Jun 2, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
In Photos, Soldiers Drink From Dead Man's Prosthetic Leg
Lawyers say hundreds of photos exist
- Images of of Australian soldiers drinking from what was allegedly a dead Afghan's prosthetic leg in an unauthorized bar called the Fat Lady's Arms may play a big role in an upcoming trial. Lawyers for former soldier Ben Roberts-Smith say they are still working to process hundreds of...
Feb 4, 2021 12:37 PM CST
Former Child Soldier Learns His Fate
Uganda's Dominic Ongwen is convicted of war crimes, but says he was a victim, too
- This war crimes conviction came with a unique defense. Former warlord Dominic Ongwen says he should be considered a victim, too, because he was abducted as a boy and turned into a child soldier, reports the
. However, the argument didn't wash with the International Criminal Court at the...
War Criminals Set to Leave
Embassy After 29 Years
Jan 4, 2021 1:31 PM CST
War Criminals Set to Leave Embassy After 29 Years
Regime officials fled to Italian embassy as rebels seized Ethiopian capital
- As rebels entered Addis Ababa on May 27, 1991, ending 17 years of Marxist rule in Ethiopia, four senior officials in the Communist regime fled to the Italian embassy. The two surviving ones might finally be leaving soon. Berhanu Bayeh and Addis Tedla, who were sentenced to death for war...
Report: Elite Australian Troops
Killed Dozens of Civilians
Nov 19, 2020 4:22 AM CST
Report: Elite Australian Troops Killed Dozens of Civilians
19 soldiers could face charges in Afghanistan killings
- A shocking Australian military report into war crimes has found evidence that elite Australian troops unlawfully killed 39 Afghan prisoners, farmers, and civilians. Australian Defence Force Chief Gen. Angus Campbell said Thursday the shameful record included alleged instances in which new patrol members would shoot a prisoner in order to...
Deserters Say They Were
Told to 'Shoot All You See'
Sep 8, 2020 2:43 PM CDT
Deserters Say They Were Told to 'Shoot All You See'
Myanmar soldiers admit taking part in atroccities against Rohingya
- Two soldiers who deserted from Myanmar’s army have testified on video that they were instructed by commanding officers to "shoot all that you see and that you hear" in villages where minority Rohingya Muslims lived, a human rights group said Tuesday. The comments appear to be the first...
Dead at 77
Sep 2, 2020 12:08 AM CDT
Khmer Rouge Executioner Dead at 77
Kaing Guek Eav had been hospitalized after having difficulty breathing
- The Khmer Rouge’s chief jailer, who admitted overseeing the torture and killings of as many as 16,000 Cambodians while running the regime’s most notorious prison, has died. Kaing Guek Eav, known as Duch, was 77 and had been serving a life prison term for war crimes and...
Charged With War Crimes
Jun 24, 2020 6:05 PM CDT
Country's President Charged With War Crimes
Kosovo leader calls off White House trip
- Kosovo President Hashim Thaci and nine other former separatist fighters were indicted Wednesday on a range of crimes against humanity and war crimes charges, including murder, by an international prosecutor probing their actions against ethnic Serbs and others during and after Kosovo’s 1998-99 independence war with Serbia. The charges...
Trump Orders Sanctions on
War Crimes Court Officials
Jun 12, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
Trump Orders Sanctions on War Crimes Court Officials
Pompeo slams ICC as 'kangaroo court'
- The Trump administration is hitting back hard against the International Criminal Court over its plans to investigate alleged war crimes in Afghanistan. An executive order announced Thursday imposes sanctions on ICC officials and bars them—and their families—from visiting the US, the
reports. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo...
Surprise Deal Is Bad News
for a Brutal Former Dictator
Feb 11, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Surprise Deal Is Bad News for a Brutal Former Dictator
Omar al-Bashir of Sudan may be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges
- A surprise development in Africa means an autocrat who ruled for decades might be handed over to a world court to face war crimes charges. Coverage:
Omar al-Bashir, 76, ruled Sudan from 1989 until his ouster last year , and he did so with an "iron fist," per
for Navy SEAL Who
Posed With Corpse
Oct 30, 2019 4:04 AM CDT
Punishment Eased for Navy SEAL Who Posed With Corpse
Edward Gallagher was not demoted to seaman recruit
- A Navy SEAL acquitted of murdering an ISIS captive but convicted of posing for photos with the man's corpse has had his sentence upheld—but with a much smaller punishment. Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher has been bumped down a rank, to petty officer first class, though since his...
Trump's Syria Envoy Points
to Alleged 'War Crimes'
Oct 23, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Trump's Syria Envoy Points to Alleged 'War Crimes'
James Jeffrey talks to Capitol Hill lawmakers
- President Trump hailed a "big success" in Syria and lifted sanctions against Turkey on Wednesday as his Syria envoy said war crimes had likely been committed there,
reports. "We haven't seen widespread evidence of ethnic cleansing," said the Syria representative, James Jeffrey, per Reuters...
Justice Years After
Found in Field
Jul 8, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Justice Years After Disemboweled Bodies Found in Field
ICC finds Bosco Ntaganda guilty of war crimes committed in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- The International Criminal Court came into being in 2002. Seventeen years later, it notched its fourth conviction. Former Congolese rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda, known as the "Terminator," was convicted on Monday of war crimes and crimes against humanity, among them, sexual slavery—the first time the ICC has...
Navy SEAL With Immunity in
Murder Case May Be Charged
Jun 27, 2019 7:01 AM CDT
Navy SEAL With Immunity in Murder Case May Be Charged
Corey Scott may face perjury charges after claiming he killed an ISIS fighter
- At the court martial of Navy Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher last week, Special Operator First Class Corey Scott stunned a courtroom when, out of the blue, he announced he, not Gallagher, was the one who'd killed a captured young ISIS fighter in Iraq in 2017. Now, Scott may...
Trial Witness: Navy SEAL
Chief Didn't Kill Captive—I Did
Jun 21, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
Trial Witness: Navy SEAL Chief Didn't Kill Captive—I Did
Prosecutors don't buy argument from medic
- A Navy SEAL medic said at a court martial Thursday that it was he who killed a captured ISIS fighter in Iraq in 2017—not Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher, who is accused of the murder . After Gallagher stabbed the teen, causing what Special Operator First Class Corey Scott testified...
Prosecutor Abruptly Pulled
From Navy SEAL's Murder Case
Jun 4, 2019 3:16 AM CDT
Prosecutor Abruptly Pulled From Navy SEAL's Murder Case
He was accused of spying on defense lawyers
- A military judge took the rare step Monday to remove a prosecutor accused of misconduct from the war crimes case of a decorated Navy SEAL. Capt. Aaron Rugh ordered the lead prosecutor removed from the case of Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher after defense lawyers accused the prosecution of spying...
He Also Did
the 'Bad Thing'
May 27, 2019 2:33 PM CDT
Lawmaker Says He Also Did the 'Bad Thing' Gallagher Did
Duncan Hunter was deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan
- Rep. Duncan Hunter has argued for pardoning Navy SEAL chief Edward Gallagher, who faces charges including murder for a stabbing death in Iraq in 2017. Hunter added a new defense of Gallagher at an event Saturday in California. "Eddie did one bad thing that I’m guilty of too—...
Uber Driver Ordered to
Pay $500K to Torture Victim
May 22, 2019 3:59 AM CDT
Uber Driver Ordered to Pay $500K to Torture Victim
Yusuf Abdi Ali was commander in Somali military
- Uber and Lyft say they have permanently removed accused war criminal Yusuf Abdi Ali from their apps. The Somali ex-colonel, who drove for the rideshare apps in northern Virginia, was ordered to pay torture victim Farhan Tani Warfaa $500,000 by a jury in the state Tuesday, the
at Pardons for
May 19, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
Trump Looks at Pardons for War Criminals
White House prepares for announcement around Memorial Day
- White House officials have begun the process for issuing presidential pardons for several members of the military accused or convicted of war crimes. Among them is Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL charged with shooting unarmed civilians and killing a captive while deployed in Iraq, the
New York Times
Lone Survivor of
in case you missed it
Apr 13, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Lone Survivor of WWII Massacre Kept Another Dark Secret
'History detective' reveals Aussie nurses were raped before being killed by Japanese troops
- Vivian Bullwinkel was the sole survivor of a horrific World War II massacre, in which 21 of her fellow Australian army nurses were forced into the ocean and machine-gunned by Japanese troops on Indonesia's Bangka Island. Now, "history detective" Lynette Silver has added another terrible piece to the...
Krispy Kreme Owners
Discover Nazi Past
Mar 25, 2019 2:09 AM CDT
Krispy Kreme Owners Discover Nazi Past
German family will donate $11M to charity
- One of Germany's richest families, whose company owns a controlling interest in Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Panera Bread, Pret a Manger, and other well-known businesses, plans to donate millions to charity after learning about their ancestors' enthusiastic support of Adolf Hitler and use of forced laborers under the Nazis, according...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
Now in San Francisco: $20K Trash Cans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.