Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report Describes Mistakes
That Caused New Mexico Fire
Jun 22, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Report Describes Mistakes That Caused New Mexico Fire
The report may help prevent future disasters, but NM is still burning
- It started as two prescribed fires that merged, and now the Calf Canyon/Hermit Peak fire is the largest in New Mexico’s recorded history
In late May, officials with the US Forest Service admitted that the fire was their fault, and on Tuesday, "the agency quietly posted" a report...
Culprit in NM's Biggest-Ever
Fire: US Forest Service
May 30, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Culprit in NM's Biggest-Ever Fire: US Forest Service
Planned burns combined into massive forest fire
- A massive New Mexico wildfire that has stampeded through more than 330 homes and nearly 500 acres wasn't the result of a carelessly tossed cigarette ( or firework ), but rather the deliberate machinations of the United States Forest Service in an effort to, well, to avoid massive wildfires....
Newborn Elk Calf
Ashes of Wildfire
May 26, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Newborn Elk Calf Rescued From Ashes of Wildfire
Firefighter deployed to New Mexico spotted Cinder in a burned forest
- Firefighters have rescued an abandoned newborn elk calf found amid the ashes of the nation's largest wildfire as calving season approaches its peak in New Mexico and fires rage across the American West. Missoula, Montana-based firefighter Nate Sink said Tuesday that he happened upon the motionless elk calf on...
New Mexico Tells
Biden It Needs More Help
May 14, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
New Mexico Tells Biden It Needs More Help
Prescribed burn in national forest is part of the problem, governor says
- New Mexico's governor is asking for additional federal assistance to respond to wildfires burning across the state's north, including one that is the second-largest in state history and that officials estimate has destroyed hundreds of homes. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said Friday in a letter to President Biden...
As 'Heartbreaking' Blaze Burns,
Thousands Just Won't Leave
May 6, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
As 'Heartbreaking' Blaze Burns, Thousands Just Won't Leave
Residents in Mora County, NM, refuse to evacuate amid largest US wildfire
- In the mountains north of Santa Fe, NM, residents are known for being able to tough things out. Which helps explain why thousands are now refusing to flee in Mora and San Miguel counties, where the nation's largest current wildfire is still raging, reports Reuters . It has scorched more...
With Maximum Fine
Apr 20, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Production Hit With Maximum Fine
New Mexico agency says there was 'plain indifference to employee safety'
- The production company behind
has been hit with the highest fine possible from a New Mexico government agency after a six-month investigation of the on-set accident that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. The New Mexico Environment Department’s Occupational Health and Safety Bureau, which concluded there had been "plain...
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers
Block Bridges in Protest
Apr 13, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers Block Bridges in Protest
This time it's Mexican truckers, upset over Texas governor's inspections order that's slowing traffic
- There's a new trucker protest underway, this time along the US southern border. Reuters reports that big-rig drivers from Mexico have been blocking bridges leading in and out of Texas for days, a protest against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's recent mandate that officials carry out vehicle safety inspections...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
'Tragic' Crash in Texas Kills
College Golfers, Coach
Mar 16, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
'Tragic' Crash in Texas Kills College Golfers, Coach
Van carrying men's and women's golf teams collided with a truck late Tuesday
- College students and their coach are among several people who have died following a collision between a truck and a vehicle carrying the University of the Southwest men's and women's golf teams. The teams were returning from a tournament at West Texas' Midland College, about 100 miles southeast...
Woman Caused Fatal Crash,
Lied About Carjacking: Police
Mar 6, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Woman Caused Fatal Crash, Lied About Carjacking: Police
Officer and retired firefighter were killed in chase
- A New Mexico woman was arrested after authorities say she caused a crash that killed an officer and retired firefighter and then lied about having been kidnapped. Jeannine Jaramillo, 46, faces charges including two counts of first-degree murder, authorities said Saturday. After a pursuit, the crash Wednesday on Interstate 25...
Cops: Bicycle Rider Randomly
Stabbed 11 in Albuquerque
Feb 14, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Cops: Bicycle Rider Randomly Stabbed 11 in Albuquerque
Suspect arrested, and 2 people are in critical condition
- Police in Albuquerque arrested a man suspected of stabbing 11 people as he rode a bicycle around the city over the weekend, leaving two victims critically injured, authorities said. He was identified as 42-year-old Tobias Gutierrez and booked into jail overnight on charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon,...
Feb 4, 2022 9:41 AM CST
'Extremely Embarrassed' Burglar Gives Homeowners $200
Caught in the act, cops say man left behind 'reimbursement' for residents
- An alleged burglar who apparently had his finger on the pulse of how much residential windows cost left a surprise payment behind after breaking into a home in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The
reports that a couple there came home Sunday afternoon after a weekend away and found...
'Stealth Omicron' Has
Arrived in the US
Jan 26, 2022 10:05 AM CST
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
BA.2, now in 40 nations, may be more contagious than original omicron, though data is limited
- Cases of an omicron subvariant have popped up in at least 40 countries, including the US. Health officials in California's Santa Clara County confirmed two cases of "stealth omicron," or BA.2, on Tuesday, adding to 11 existing cases in the state as of Monday, reports the...
New Mexico Asks
National Guard to
Fill in for Teachers
Jan 20, 2022 6:33 AM CST
New Mexico Asks National Guard to Fill in for Teachers
Governor says she is volunteering as well
- National Guard members in New Mexico are being asked to volunteer for an unprecedented role: serving as substitute teachers and child care workers as the state struggles with staff shortages caused by surging COVID infections. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said Wednesday that Guard members and state government employees—including herself—...
Jan 15, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Baldwin Gives Phone to Deputies in New York
Search warrant was issued in December in investigation of killing on film set
- Four weeks after a search warrant was issued, Alec Baldwin has complied with it by turning his cellphone over to sheriff's deputies. New Mexico authorities had sought the phone for their investigation of the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on a film set there on Oct. 21. Santa...
'I Didn't Pull the Trigger,'
Baldwin Says About Shooting
Dec 1, 2021 4:33 PM CST
'I Didn't Pull the Trigger,' Baldwin Says About Shooting
Actor gives interview about the on-set death of cinematographer
- "I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them, never," Alec Baldwin has said about the fatal shooting on a film set. Halyna Hutchins, the film's cinematographer, was killed, and director Joel Souza was wounded during a rehearsal last month. Baldwin was...
One State Is
the Stingiest of All
Nov 9, 2021 5:00 PM CST
One State Is the Stingiest of All
New Mexico ranks last in the ranking of generous states
- Some locales are more generous than others, and WalletHub has ranked the states with metrics that include not just monetary donations but the volunteer rate and number of food banks. Here are the 10 most generous states (congrats, Utah), followed by the least generous (sorry, New Mexico):
Utah, with an
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
Film Set: Baldwin
Was 'Very Careful'
Oct 25, 2021 7:34 AM CDT
Cameraman on Film Set: Baldwin Was 'Very Careful' With Guns
Director, crew speak out, while new clues emerge on how live round may have ended up in gun
- An affidavit released Sunday details more on what went down on the New Mexico set of
, where a supposed prop gun being used by Alec Baldwin went off, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. "Joel stated that they had Alec sitting in a pew in...
Cinematographer Killed on Set
Was 'Building a Reputation'
Oct 22, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Cinematographer Killed on Set Was 'Building a Reputation'
Halyna Hutchins, 42, described as a rising star
- The cinematographer tragically killed Thursday when Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of the movie
was about to get her big break, according to friends. Halyna Hutchins, named one of
's Rising Stars of 2019 , was shot around 1:50pm local time while working...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.