Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She's Been Dubbed the
'Esperanza Patient,' Fittingly
Nov 16, 2021 9:03 AM CST
She's Been Dubbed the 'Esperanza Patient,' Fittingly
Woman's own immune system may have cured her of HIV
- She couldn't come from a more fitting place: A woman now dubbed the "Esperanza patient" after her hometown of Esperanza, Argentina, has become the second in the world to seemingly be cured of HIV by her own immune system; "esperanza" translates to hope. More on the discovery,...
J&J Shuts Down
HIV Vaccine Trial
Aug 31, 2021 2:39 PM CDT
J&J Shuts Down HIV Vaccine Trial
Study in five African countries found that it only provided 25% protection
- Scientists searching for an HIV vaccine have been disappointed yet again. Johnson & Johnson says it has shut down a vaccine trial in Africa that started in 2017 after finding that it only provided 25% protection, the
New York Times
reports. The trial involved young women at high risk of...
on the HIV Front
Jul 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Good News on the HIV Front
Those with virus who receive treatment have same life expectancy as those without: researchers
- Patients who tested positive for HIV used to fear a "certain death sentence," as there's no cure for the virus, per HealthDay News . New research puts those fears to rest, with scientists saying that those with HIV in the US can now expect a similar life expectancy...
Billy Porter: 'This Is What
HIV-Positive Looks Like Now'
May 19, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Billy Porter: 'This Is What HIV-Positive Looks Like Now'
He says he was diagnosed 14 years ago
, set during the late '80s and early '90s AIDS crisis in New York City, Billy Porter plays Pray Tell, a HIV-positive ballroom MC. In real life, he has stayed quiet about his own diagnosis for 14 years. In an interview with the
The First Person Cured
of HIV Is Dead at 54
Sep 30, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
The First Person Cured of HIV Is Dead at 54
Timothy Ray Brown was known as the 'Berlin patient'
- The first person cured of HIV—a feat Timothy Ray Brown managed more than a decade ago—has died from cancer. He was 54. The BBC reports Brown, known as the "Berlin patient," learned he had HIV in 1995 while living in the German city. In 2007 he...
May Have Rid Man of HIV
Jul 8, 2020 3:11 AM CDT
Experimental Treatment May Have Rid Man of HIV
He has shown no sign of the virus for more than a year after stopping HIV medications
- A Brazilian man infected with the AIDS virus has shown no sign of it for more than a year since he stopped HIV medicines after an intense experimental drug therapy aimed at purging hidden, dormant virus from his body, doctors reported Tuesday. The case needs independent verification and it’s...
NZ Vanquished Coronavirus.
It's Setting Its Sights on HIV
May 29, 2020 4:17 AM CDT
NZ Vanquished Coronavirus. It's Setting Its Sights on HIV
There have been no new cases for a week
- New Zealand on Friday had all but eradicated the coronavirus from its shores with just one person in the nation of 5 million known to be still infected. The country's health authorities have not found any new virus cases for a week. Of the 1,504 people who were...
Agency Calls Off
HIV Vaccine Trial
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 8, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Agency Calls Off HIV Vaccine Trial
Results from South Africa show vaccine wasn't effective
- "An HIV vaccine is essential to end the global pandemic, and we hoped this vaccine candidate would work," a US health agency said Monday. "Regrettably, it does not." With that, the clinical trial in South Africa was shut down, CNN reports; the vaccine was not found...
Governor Not OK With
State's Utah-Themed Condoms
Jan 16, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Governor Not OK With State's Utah-Themed Condoms
Gary Herbert cancels distribution of condoms in packaging with 'sexual innuendo'
- As part of its awareness-raising HIVandMe campaign , the state of Utah offers prevention and treatment resources, a clinic finder—and, to the governor's irritation, provocatively packaged prophylactics that have now been canceled. Per the
Salt Lake Tribune
, Gov. Gary Herbert has nixed the distribution of a stockpile of 100,...
This Was David Stern's
'Most Humane' Act
Jan 2, 2020 11:21 AM CST
This Was David Stern's 'Most Humane' Act
NBA commissioner embraced Magic Johnson after HIV diagnosis, 'figuratively and literally'
- The current NBA commissioner says his predecessor , David Stern, turned the basketball league into "a truly global brand." But the legacy that Stern, who died Wednesday at age 77, should be most hailed for is his support of Magic Johnson after the basketball great was diagnosed with HIV,...
Plan to Edit
Dec 8, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Plan to Edit Baby Genes May Have 'Created New Mutations'
MIT Technology Review is far from impressed
- Looks like a highly controversial attempt to create HIV-immune babies didn't work out and may have even gone wrong, the
reports. This according to an
MIT Technology Review
report on the work of Chinese scientist He Jiankui, who sparked outcry with his plan to edit the embryonic genes...
Rural America Has Big New
Problem, and It's Not Ready
Dec 2, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Rural America Has Big New Problem, and It's Not Ready
Op-ed warns that HIV cases are going to swamp small communities
- In big cities around the US, the numbers are encouraging when it comes to HIV. New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, and other huge urban centers have reported falling numbers, writes professor Steven W. Thrasher of Northwestern University in a
New York Times
op-ed. But his isn't a celebratory...
Sep 22, 2019 12:52 PM CDT
Star Reveals His Private Pain
Jonathan Van Ness talks about his upcoming memoir, 'Over the Top'
star Jonathan Van Ness is baring his soul a few days before the release of his new memoir,
e reports. The fabulous 32-year-old opened up about his history of sexual assault, drug addiction, HIV—and now, nightmares. "I've had nightmares every night for the past three...
Despite 10 Years
People Still Drink
Aug 14, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Despite 10 Years of Warnings, People Still Drink Dangerous 'Cure'
FDA: Taking sodium chlorite products like Miracle Mineral Solution is basically drinking bleach
- It's OK to believe in miracles, but drinking bleach for your ailments isn't going to lead to one. That's effectively what people are doing when they quaff a product known as Miracle Mineral Solution, and other products like it that promise a cure for autism, cancer, HIV,...
Results of Mice Study
Bring Big HIV News
Jul 3, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
Results of Mice Study Bring Big HIV News
Researchers eradicated HIV from the DNA of 9 infected mice
- Researchers tell CNBC they have for the first time shown "that the HIV disease is a curable disease" A study published Tuesday in
details how they got to such a statement: essentially by putting the brakes on HIV's spread in mice and then editing it out...
Blamed for Hundreds
of HIV Infections
May 27, 2019 2:26 AM CDT
Pakistan Doctor Blamed for Hundreds of HIV Infections
More than 500 children have tested positive in district
- More than 600 people, including at least 500 children between 2 months and 12 years old, have tested positive for HIV in a rural district in southern Pakistan—and authorities suspect a single doctor is to blame for most of the infections. Authorities say most of the infected children in...
He Thought He'd Die, So He
Began a Con. He Didn't Die
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 26, 2019 2:03 PM CDT
He Thought He'd Die, So He Began a Con. He Didn't Die
Mark Olmsted, who was HIV-positive, assumed identity of his dead brother Luke
- It seemed like it would be quite a way to go after getting diagnosed with a likely fatal illness: become a con man and live your remaining days out like a king. Except, as Nathaniel Penn notes in a fascinating profile for GQ : "What the hell happens if you...
A Big Donation Meant to Fight
HIV, With 'Mixed' Reaction
May 10, 2019 11:24 AM CDT
A Big Donation Meant to Fight HIV, With 'Mixed' Reaction
Gilead Sciences will donate Truvada, but critics say they should cut price for everyone instead
- On Thursday, President Trump tweeted the news: An announcement from Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar that Gilead Sciences, manufacturer of the only approved HIV-preventing drug, would donate enough Truvada to treat 200,000 patients each year through at least 2025, and possibly though 2030. Azar noted the...
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial,
a Frightening Diagnosis
May 1, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial, a Frightening Diagnosis
Health officials: 2 customers of NM day spa are HIV-positive after 'injection-related procedures'
- In September, a day spa in Albuquerque, NM, suddenly shuttered , along with an explainer from state health officials that they'd identified practices at the spa "that could potentially spread blood-borne infections." Now, the New Mexico Department of Health says two former customers of VIP Spa who received...
It's a First: Someone Living
With HIV Donates Organ
Mar 28, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
It's a First: Someone Living With HIV Donates Organ
Atlanta's Nina Martinez is a kidney donor to HIV-positive recipient
- She donated a kidney to a stranger, but that's not the reason Nina Martinez's decision is making international headlines. The 36-year-old Atlanta resident is HIV-positive, and the surgery at Johns Hopkins is the first time anywhere that someone living with the virus has donated an organ, reports FOX...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Model Died After an LA Party. Now Her Friend Is Brain-Dead
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
61 People Have Been Stuck in a Pub Since Friday
Jack Dorsey: Yes, I'm Leaving Twitter
Omicron Variant Detected in North America
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.