Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Taiwan Map
at White House Summit
Dec 13, 2021 12:56 PM CST
Report: Taiwan Map Caused 'Overreaction' at White House Summit
Audrey Tang's video feed was abruptly cut
- A strange thing happened during President Biden's " Summit for Democracy " last week: Video of Audrey Tang, Taiwan's digital minister, was abruptly cut off during a panel discussion and replaced with an audio-only feed after she presented a map that displayed Taiwan as a different color than...
Murder Suspect Snagged
in Hotel Quarantine
Nov 26, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Murder Suspect Snagged in Hotel Quarantine
Taiwan requests China extradite man
- A murder suspect who fled from Taiwan to China may have made himself an easy target for authorities as he's now under a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine. The few travelers admitted to China must spend at least 14 days in quarantine as part of efforts to combat the spread...
China's Xi to Biden: US
'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Nov 16, 2021 6:50 AM CST
China's Xi to Biden: US 'Playing With Fire' on Taiwan
Warning comes in otherwise cordial 3-hour virtual meeting
- President Biden and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping spoke for more than three hours Monday in a virtual meeting described by both sides afterward as largely cordial. In fact, Xi greeted Biden as his "old friend" at the start, notes the AP . But the BBC highlights at least one area...
China Warns US After
Biden Remarks on Taiwan
Oct 22, 2021 7:48 AM CDT
China Warns US After Biden Remarks on Taiwan
Issue 'allows no foreign intervention,' Beijing official says
- China on Friday said there is "no room" for compromise or concessions on the issue of Taiwan, following a comment by President Biden that the US is committed to defending the island if it is attacked. In his comments at a CNN town hall, Biden said the US doesn'...
40 Feared Dead
in Taiwan Blaze
Oct 14, 2021 3:41 AM CDT
40 Feared Dead in Taiwan Blaze
Fire engulfed 13-story building in Kaohsiung
- A fire in southern Taiwan that engulfed a building overnight has killed 25 people, according to local officials Thursday who said they expected the death toll to rise further. The 13-story building caught fire around 3am Thursday, fire officials in the city of Kaohsiung said. A fire department statement said...
Xi Jinping Warns World to
Butt Out of 'Taiwan Question'
Oct 9, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Xi Jinping Warns World to Butt Out of 'Taiwan Question'
Chinese leader says he hopes to keep things 'peaceful,' but that 'reunification ... must be realized'
- Tensions have been growing of late between China and Taiwan, with an incursion last weekend of Chinese fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone, and Taiwan's defense chief stressing the "urgency" of the situation. On Saturday, Chinese President Xi Jinping noted he wants all remain to peaceful...
Taiwan Defense Chief:
China Could Soon Mount
Oct 6, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Taiwan Defense Chief: China Could Soon Mount 'Full-Scale' Invasion
Chiu Kuo-cheng says tensions are worst in 40 years
- After a weekend incursion of Chinese fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone, relations between the two states are—well, not great. In fact, Taiwan's defense chief on Wednesday said that military tensions with China are the "most serious" they've been in more than four decades,...
China Buzzes Taiwan Zone
With Scores of Military Aircraft
Oct 3, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
China Buzzes Taiwan Zone With Scores of Military Aircraft
US wants an end to the flights it calls concerning and provocative
- Scores of Chinese fighter jets have encroached on Taiwan's air defense zone in the past few days, an action threatening enough to cause the self-ruled island to scramble its own military aircraft. Taiwan reported 16 incursions on Sunday, 39 on Saturday, and 38 on Friday—the most ever, NBC...
Led to Pig's Blood Pizza
Aug 17, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
'Social Listening' Led to Pig's Blood Pizza
It was a big hit for Pizza Hut Taiwain
- Pizza Hut in Taiwan harnessed the power of social media to create a truly unique pizza topped with preserved eggs and a snack cake made with pig's blood. The "Cilantro Century Egg Pig's Blood Cake Pizza" was invented after the company searched social media for the most...
in Judo Class Kill
Jun 30, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Repeated Slams in Judo Class Kill 7-Year-Old Boy
Taiwanese boy had been on life support since April
- A 7-year-old Taiwanese boy has died after being repeatedly slammed by his coach and others at a judo class. It's a case seeing wide media pick-up around the world : The boy, identified only by his surname, Huang, was taken off life support on Tuesday night after being in a...
John Cena Is Sorry
May 26, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
After Enduring China's Wrath, John Cena Is Sorry
He'd referred to Taiwan as a country in an interview
- "Taiwan is the first country to watch
Fast and Furious 9
," John Cena told a Taiwanese broadcaster this month. In doing so, he unleashed the wrath of China, which has threatened to annex the self-governed island it views as its own territory. Cena sought to rectify that on...
Taiwan Fights Worst Outbreak
Since Pandemic Began
May 21, 2021 2:53 AM CDT
Taiwan Fights Worst Outbreak Since Pandemic Began
Country went almost a year without recording a locally transmitted case
- Taiwan, long considered a success story, reported 312 new confirmed cases on Friday as part of its worst outbreak since the beginning of the pandemic. Health Minister Chen Shih-chung says most of the cases have a clear source, but 72 of the new ones were not apparently linked to the...
4 Times, Divorces
3 Times, in 37 Days
Apr 23, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Couple Weds 4 Times, Divorces 3 Times, in 37 Days
Taiwan newlyweds accused of trying to milk nation's policy for paid marriage leave
- A couple in Taiwan stayed quite busy during the early days of the pandemic, getting married four times and filing for three divorces between April 6 and May 12 of last year. The reason, according to public records from the groom's employer, a Taipei bank: The newlyweds were trying...
China Sends 25 Warplanes
Into Taiwan's Airspace
Apr 13, 2021 3:30 AM CDT
China Sends 25 Warplanes Into Taiwan's Airspace
Meanwhile, Taiwan launches amphibious transport ship
- Taiwan launched an amphibious transport ship Tuesday that's the first from its new naval shipbuilding program begun as China escalates its threats to use military force to annex the island it claims is its territory, the AP reports. President Tsai Ing-wen presided over the launching ceremony at a shipyard...
Truck Operator in Devastating
Train Crash Speaks Out
Apr 5, 2021 12:48 AM CDT
Truck Operator in Devastating Train Crash Speaks Out
And more on the Taiwan tragedy
- As authorities investigate whether it was indeed a failure to set the parking brake that caused an unmanned crane truck to slide down a hill in Taiwan, where a train hit it , the operator of the truck is speaking out. "I am deeply remorseful and want to express my...
Nobody Set Truck's Parking
Brake, and Tragedy Ensues
Apr 2, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Nobody Set Truck's Parking Brake, and Tragedy Ensues
Death toll in Taiwan train crash grows to 51
- The cause of the deadliest rail tragedy in decades in Taiwan appears to be distressingly simple. Somebody parked a construction vehicle but neglected to engage the parking brake, say government officials, per the AP . The truck rolled downhill and came to rest at the mouth of a railroad tunnel, where...
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed
on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
Apr 2, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
At least 100 hurt in Taiwan's deadliest rail disaster
- A train partially derailed in eastern Taiwan on Friday after being hit by an unmanned vehicle that had rolled down a hill, killing 48 people. With the train still partly in a tunnel, survivors climbed out of windows and walked along the train's roof to reach safety after the...
Taiwan Asks People to Stop
Changing Names to 'Salmon'
Mar 18, 2021 8:29 AM CDT
Taiwan Asks People to Stop Changing Names to 'Salmon'
Dozens of people have altered their monikers to take advantage of restaurant's sushi promotion
- A restaurant chain promotion has led to what local media is calling "salmon chaos" in Taiwan, where people are now changing their names to get free or discounted sushi. The Central News Agency reports that the two-day offering from Sushiro entitles anyone whose name includes the Chinese characters for...
Country Sees First COVID
Transmission in 8 Months
Dec 22, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Country Sees First COVID Transmission in 8 Months
Contact tracing is underway in Taiwan
- For 253 days, Taiwan avoided any local transmission of COVID-19. But that impressive streak came to an end Tuesday with news that a woman in her 30s had tested positive after close contact with a pilot who’d flown to the US. The pilot, a New Zealand man in his...
He Broke Quarantine for
8 Seconds. Now, a $3.5K Fine
in case you missed it
Dec 12, 2020 2:40 PM CST
He Broke Quarantine for 8 Seconds. Now, a $3.5K Fine
Taiwan isn't messing around when it comes to this safety protocol
- Taiwan has had only about 700 cases and only seven deaths from the coronavirus, per Johns Hopkins University , and it intends to keep it that way. That's why the island nation is so strict with its quarantine protocols, as one man recently found out. The Filipino migrant worker was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Experts Say Anne Frank Bombshell Is 'Full of Errors'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.