Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Israel Says It Has Resumed Combat in Gaza
Stories 1 - 20 |
GM Recalls All Cruises for
Software Change After Injuries
Nov 8, 2023 5:55 PM CST
GM Recalls All Cruises for Software Change After Injuries
California revoked the vehicle's license
- General Motors' Cruise autonomous vehicle unit is recalling all 950 of its cars to update software after one of them dragged a pedestrian to the side of a San Francisco street in early October. The company said in documents posted by federal safety regulators on Wednesday that with the updated...
Strike a 'Victory
Oct 31, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
Strike a 'Victory for Autoworkers,' Not Necessarily for Consumers
Car prices could jump more than $1K to pay for new labor costs, one auto expert says
- General Motors, the final holdout in the United Auto Workers strike, finally caved this week, reaching a tentative agreement with workers that would bring to an end six weeks of strikes that targeted GM, Ford, and Stellantis—the so-called Big Three of Detroit. Details for all of the automakers' agreements...
GM Also Cuts a Deal,
Ending UAW Strikes
Oct 30, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
GM Also Cuts a Deal, Ending UAW Strikes
General Motors agreement comes after Ford and Stellantis struck deals of their own
- General Motors and the United Auto Workers union have reached a tentative contract agreement, according to multiple reports, including from the AP , the
Wall Street Journal
, and CNBC . The deal follows the pattern set with Ford last week and Jeep maker Stellantis over the weekend, and would bring an end...
UAW Walks Out at GM Plant
Oct 29, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
UAW Walks Out at GM Plant
Automaker is the only company struck without a new deal
- General Motors and the UAW planned to resume negotiations Sunday, hours after the strike was broadened to include the automaker's Spring Hill Assembly plant in Tennessee. The union reached a tentative agreement on terms Saturday with Stellantis , and the
Detroit Free Press
reports that UAW President Shawn Fain planned...
UAW Escalates Strike
After GM Reports Profit
Oct 24, 2023 2:12 PM CDT
UAW Escalates Strike After GM Reports Profit
5K walk off the job at key plant in Texas
- The United Auto Workers union turned up the heat on General Motors as 5,000 workers walked off their jobs Tuesday at a highly profitable SUV factory in Arlington, Texas. The move comes just a day after the union went on strike at a Stellantis pickup truck factory in Sterling...
GM's Cruise Division Under
Scrutiny in Pedestrian Injuries
Oct 17, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
GM's Cruise Division Under Scrutiny in Pedestrian Injuries
NHTSA launches inquiry after pair of reports
- Tesla isn't the only automaker getting bad press over its self-driving vehicles. US regulators are investigating General Motors' Cruise autonomous vehicle division after receiving reports of incidents where vehicles may not have used proper caution around pedestrians in roadways, per the AP . The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says...
Canadian Auto Workers'
Strike Ends After 13 Hours
Oct 10, 2023 5:18 PM CDT
Canadian Auto Workers' Strike Ends After 13 Hours
Union says GM gave in on all the issues it had been fighting it on
- General Motors and the union representing Canadian auto workers reached a tentative contract agreement Tuesday, ending a strike that began just after midnight. About 4,300 striking workers at two GM factories and a parts warehouse returned to work Tuesday afternoon and will vote on the three-year deal later. Lana...
UAW Leader Announces
'Major Breakthrough' With GM
Oct 6, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
UAW Leader Announces 'Major Breakthrough' With GM
Strikes won't expand for now after deal on EV battery plants
- The United Auto Workers said Friday the union will not expand its strikes against Detroit's three automakers after General Motors made a breakthrough concession on unionizing electric vehicle battery plants. The announcement of the pause in adding factories to the strikes came minutes after GM agreed to bring workers...
United Auto Workers
Strike Just Got Bigger
Sep 29, 2023 10:29 AM CDT
United Auto Workers Strike Just Got Bigger
7K more workers will target Ford plant in Chicago, GM factory near Lansing, Michigan
- The United Auto Workers union says its two-week strike against Detroit automakers will spread to 7,000 more workers at a Ford plant in Chicago and a General Motors assembly factory near Lansing, Michigan, reports the AP . Union President Shawn Fain told workers on a video appearance Friday that negotiations...
Workers Hit by Car
Sep 27, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Picketing Auto Workers Hit by Car
5 striking UAW workers received minor injuries
- An employee drove through a picket line in trying to leave a General Motors plant near Flint, Michigan, on Tuesday, and in the process struck five people who were picketing as part of the United Auto Workers strike. Police say the striking UAW workers were blocking a driveway at the...
Biden Makes Big
on UAW Strike
Sep 23, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
President is heading to Michigan on Tuesday to stand with union workers on the picket line
- The United Auto Workers strike expanded on Friday , with union workers walking out of dozens of additional parts-distribution centers across the nation amid sluggish negotiations with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, Detroit's "Big Three" automakers. Now, a big-name boost is heading to the picket line next week: President...
Warning to UAW:
Don't Kill 'the Goose
That Lays the Golden Egg'
Sep 21, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Warning to UAW: Don't Kill 'the Goose That Lays the Golden Egg'
In 'NYT' op-ed, Steven Rattner worries about strike's 'implications for our economy,' and for Biden
- The United Auto Workers union is threatening to expand its targeted strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers if major advances aren't seen in contract negotiations by Friday. But at least one person thinks that the UAW is "overplaying its hand" in taking on Ford, General Motors, and...
Deadline Passes With No Deal,
and UAW Strike Begins
Sep 14, 2023 11:35 PM CDT
Deadline Passes With No Deal, and UAW Strike Begins
13K US auto workers stopped making vehicles Friday
- About 13,000 US auto workers stopped making vehicles and went on strike Friday after their leaders couldn't bridge a giant gap between union demands in contract talks and what Detroit's three automakers are willing to pay, the AP reports. Members of the United Auto Workers union began...
UAW Contract Deadline Nears:
'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
Sep 14, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
UAW Contract Deadline Nears: 'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
United Auto Workers leader Shawn Fain says likely strike will be 'limited and targeted'
- The head of the United Auto Workers union said Wednesday that a strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is imminent, with negotiations ahead of Thursday's 11:59pm contract deadline not making the headway needed to fend off a work stoppage at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, per the...
How a Potential Autoworker
Strike May Affect Car Prices
Sep 11, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
How a Potential Autoworker Strike May Affect Car Prices
If it goes into November, forget about year-end sales for big US automakers
- The nation is on the brink of another massive strike, with about 150,000 US autoworkers threatening to walk off the job when their current contract expires at 11:59pm Thursday. By all accounts, the United Auto Workers union is far from a deal with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis...
On Labor Day,
a Major Strike Looms
Sep 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
On Labor Day, a Major Strike Looms
'More combative' United Auto Workers union makes demands ahead of contract expiration on Sept. 14
- A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour workweek with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. The demands that a more combative United Auto Workers union has pressed on General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford—demands that even the UAW's own president calls "audacious"— are edging it...
Auto Workers Say OK
to a Potential Strike
Aug 25, 2023 11:37 AM CDT
Auto Workers Say OK to a Potential Strike
UAW is currently in contract talks with Ford, Stellantis, and GM
- Auto workers are voting overwhelmingly to give union leaders the authority to call strikes against Detroit car companies if a contract agreement isn't reached. The United Auto Workers union said Friday that results are still being tallied, but so far 97% have voted in favor of authorizing one or...
GM: No More Chevy Bolt
Apr 26, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
GM: No More Chevy Bolt
Automaker is yanking its signature EV at the end of this year, despite high demand
- If you want a cheap electric vehicle, your time is waning quickly to get in on the $24,000 Chevy Bolt (which comes with a federal tax credit of $7,500). It's not often that manufacturers pull the plug on a product that's "clocking record highs,"...
GM Says 5K Workers
Are Leaving Voluntarily
Apr 5, 2023 10:48 AM CDT
GM Says 5K Workers Are Leaving Voluntarily
They were given 2 weeks to decide on 'voluntary separation program' offer
- Instead of "layoffs" and "buyouts," General Motors likes to use the terms "involuntary separations" and "voluntary separations"—and it says it has largely avoided the former by getting 5,000 workers to accept the latter. CFO Paul Jacobson said Tuesday that around 5,000...
So Long, Camaro
Mar 24, 2023 1:19 PM CDT
So Long, Camaro
Automaker will stop making iconic muscle car, but it's possible an electric version will emerge
- The Chevrolet Camaro, for decades the dream car of many teenage American males, is going out of production. General Motors, which sells the brawny muscle car, will stop making the current generation early next year. The future of the car, which is raced on NASCAR and other circuits, is a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.