Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Will Smith Gives
Night' at Oscars
Nov 29, 2022 6:54 AM CST
Will Smith Gives First Interview on 'Horrific Night' at Oscars
Actor talks about 'the slap' with Trevor Noah: 'I just, I lost it'
- Chris Rock hasn't spoken much, other than a few jokes , on "the slap" —the moment at the Oscars ceremony earlier this year when Will Smith attacked the comedian. Smith, however, is now speaking more openly about it, in his first interview about what he describes as a...
Will Smith Is Generating
New Oscars Buzz
Oct 4, 2022 8:36 AM CDT
Will Smith Is Generating New Oscars Buzz
Actor could be a nominee in Academy he's banned from for 10 years after Chris Rock controversy
- Will Smith was banned from the Oscars for 10 years for slapping Chris Rock at this year's ceremony, but that doesn't mean he can't win another Academy Award. Smith, who picked up the Best Actor award for his role in
following the infamous slap, is...
Responding to One Controversy,
Chris Rock Creates Another
Aug 30, 2022 6:23 AM CDT
Responding to One Controversy, Chris Rock Creates Another
Comedian references Will Smith slap with joke about Nicole Brown Simpson, which didn't go well
- Chris Rock won't be back to host the Oscars next year, at least according to his own telling, and yes, it appears to be linked to "the slap." The 57-year-old comedian performed Sunday night at Phoenix's Arizona Financial Theatre, which is where he informed the crowd...
Chris Rock Not Ready to Talk,
but He's Slipping in Little Digs
Jul 30, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Chris Rock Not Ready to Talk, but He's Slipping in Little Digs
Comedian starting to make references to the infamous slap at his shows
- In an apology video released Friday, Will Smith said he was told that Chris Rock still isn't ready to talk to him. But Rock has increasingly been referencing the Oscars slap in jokes. Hours after Smith's video was released, Rock appeared in Atlanta as part of his "...
Will Smith Apologizes
to Rock—and Rock's Mother
Jul 29, 2022 11:12 AM CDT
Will Smith Apologizes to Rock—and Rock's Mother
Actor discusses the Oscars slap in new video
- Will Smith is offering his most detailed apology yet over his infamous slap of Chris Rock four months ago at the Oscars. In a newly released video , the actor apologizes not only to Rock, but to Rock's family and to his own, report
. Some key lines:...
Will Smith Picks Up
Another Major Award
Jun 27, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Will Smith Picks Up Another Major Award
BET honors him as best actor for 'King Richard' role
- Will Smith has remained among the seldom seen since t he slap incident in March, but his name is still spoken at award ceremonies, most recently at Sunday’s BET Awards. Smith won best actor for his lead role in the sports drama
which also won best movie,...
Pinkett Smith Finally
Shares Her Thoughts
on Oscars Slap
Jun 1, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Pinkett Smith Finally Shares Her Thoughts on Oscars Slap
Will Smith, Chris Rock, need to 'talk this out and reconcile,' she says
- After more than two months, Jada Pinkett Smith has shared her thoughts on her husband slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars . In the Wednesday episode of her Red Table Talk Facebook series, Pinkett Smith didn't apologize for Will Smith's behavior, but said both men need to talk, TMZ...
Before 'The Slap,' Will Smith
Envisioned His 'Life Destroyed'
May 24, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Before 'The Slap,' Will Smith Envisioned His 'Life Destroyed'
He tells David Letterman of hallucinogenic vision
- Well before his infamous Oscars slap , Will Smith recorded an interview with David Letterman for the latter's
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction
series. Now that it's airing on Netflix, some of the actor's comments are getting a little extra attention.
Smith told Letterman he had
Kevin Hart: Beating of Chappelle
Attacker 'Needed to Happen'
May 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Kevin Hart: Beating of Chappelle Attacker 'Needed to Happen'
Howard Stern, on the other hand, sees hypocrisy in how things were handled
- Video footage showed people punching and kicking the man who rushed Dave Chappelle on stage at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday. Photos also showed the suspect with a very clearly broken arm . "It's one of those things that needed to happen, though," Kevin Hart told guest host...
Chris Rock's Mom
Speaks Out on The Slap
Apr 24, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Chris Rock's Mom Speaks Out on The Slap
Will Smith 'really slapped me,' says Rose Rock
- Chris Rock himself says he's still "processing" the slap he received from Will Smith. His brother has been more vocal in speaking out against Smith. And now the comedian's mother is weighing in publicly for the first time. “When he slapped Chris, he slapped all of...
Chris Rock on the Slap:
Not Talking 'Until I Get Paid'
Apr 10, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
Chris Rock on the Slap: Not Talking 'Until I Get Paid'
'I got my hearing back,' he adds to audience in California
- Chris Rock still isn't ready to talk in detail about The Slap in public, but he appears to have made his first joke about it on stage. "I'm OK, I have a whole show and I'm not talking about that until I get paid," Rock...
You Won't See Will Smith
at the Oscars for 10 Years
Apr 8, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
You Won't See Will Smith at the Oscars for 10 Years
But academy's board does not strip him of his award
- This year's Oscar for best actor will remain in the hands of Will Smith. The board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced its punishment Friday for his infamous slap of Chris Rock , and it does not involve stripping him of his statuette. Instead,...
Chris Rock's Brother:
Here's What Should
Happen to Will Smith
Apr 5, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Chris Rock's Brother: Here's What Should Happen to Will Smith
Kenny Rock wants Smith's Oscar taken away, among other things
- As far as Chris Rock's brother is concerned, the Academy Award Will Smith won shortly after slapping Rock onstage at the Oscars should be revoked, and Smith should be banned from attending future ceremonies. "I might have looked at it differently had he initially apologized when he got...
Will Smith Projects Slow Down
Apr 4, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Will Smith Projects Slow Down
Interest in making a biopic of the actor has faded since the Oscars
- The long-term fallout from Will Smith's slap of Chris Rock at the Academy Awards isn't known yet, but immediate effects are surfacing. Producers have slowed, if not stopped, a couple of his next jobs, per the
. One film,
Fast and Loose
, lost its director before the...
Grammys Host Trevor Noah
Makes a Will Smith Joke
Apr 3, 2022 9:24 PM CDT
Grammys Host Trevor Noah Makes a Will Smith Joke
Don't worry, he assures audience, names will be kept out of mouths
- According to SFGate , it was just seven minutes into Sunday night's Grammy Awards when a Will Smith joke was made. "Don’t even think of it as an award show,” Noah said toward the end of his monologue. “This is a concert where we’re giving...
the Slap on
Apr 3, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
There Was No Escaping the Slap on
Will Smith-Chris Rock incident gets the 'Saturday Night Live' treatment
- If you've grown weary of the seemingly wall-to-wall coverage of the notorious Will Smith-Chris Rock Oscar slap ,
Saturday Night Live
offered little respite. The April 2 episode, which featured comedian/actor Jerrod Carmichael as host and musical guest Gunna, served up its take on the incident "again and again...
'Nobody Comes Out
of This Looking Good'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 2, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
'Nobody Comes Out of This Looking Good'
Smith's slap overshadowed 'what should have been one of the greatest nights of his life'
- It's being called the "slap heard around the world"—after presenter Chris Rock joked about Jada Pinkett Smith's lack of hair at the Oscars Sunday night, Will Smith slapped him and shouted, twice, "Keep my wife's name out of your f---ing mouth!" Some...
Will Smith Resigns
Apr 1, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Will Smith Resigns From Academy
Board says disciplinary process will continue
- Facing an investigation and a disciplinary hearing over his assault of comedian Chris Rock on the Oscars stage, actor Will Smith has resigned as a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In a statement issued Friday, Smith apologized for his behavior Sunday and said he'll...
Chris Rock Was 'Dismissive'
of LAPD Arresting Will Smith
Apr 1, 2022 12:06 AM CDT
Chris Rock Was 'Dismissive' of LAPD Arresting Will Smith
Meanwhile, Smith's apology call to Academy leadership is causing yet more controversy
- After the Oscars slap heard 'round the world, Los Angeles Police Department officers approached Chris Rock and made it clear they would arrest Will Smith if that's what he wanted, according to an Academy Awards producer who sat down for an interview with
Good Morning America
Near the Slap:
Mar 31, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Famed Director Was Seated Near the Slap: His View
Pedro Almodovar blasts Will Smith for talking like a 'cult leader' in his acceptance speech
- Director Pedro Almodovar attended the Academy Awards this year and wrote an Oscar-night diary for IndieWire . It would be interesting reading for movie fans in any year as he talks about his run-ins with celebs including Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, and Al Pacino, and carps about the cold temperature in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Jonah Hill Is Changing His Name
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.