Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Abortion Clinics Are Given a Strict Pandemic Order
But it's unclear whether the Ohio clinics will comply
- Seeking an abortion amid the coronavirus pandemic? Better hope you're not in Ohio. The state's attorney general has told two abortion facilities to stop providing services that require personal protective equipment—which includes abortion, CBS News reports. "You and your facility are ordered to immediately stop performing...
Anti-Abortion Activist Told to Pay Up Big Bucks
But David Daleiden accuses the judge of bias
- A federal jury found Friday that an anti-abortion activist illegally secretly recorded workers at Planned Parenthood clinics and is liable for violating federal and state laws, the AP reports. The jury ordered him, the Center for Medical Progress, and other parties to pay nearly $2.3 million in damages. The...
Missouri Health Chief Tracked Planned Parenthood Patients' Periods
Data indicated 4 failed abortions out of thousands
- Missouri's health director admitted Tuesday to tracking the menstrual periods of women who visited the sole abortion clinic in the state with the goal of identifying those who had failed procedures. Planned Parenthood's St. Louis clinic is facing accusations of failed medical abortions as it fights to remain...
Planned Parenthood: We Built a Huge Clinic in Secret
Facility in Illinois will be open later this month, not far from last abortion clinic in Missouri
- One of the largest abortion clinics in the US has been under hush-hush construction for more than a year, but Planned Parenthood is now revealing details. In August, CBS News got one of the first glimpses of the 18,000-square-foot "mega-clinic" in southern Illinois, built about 15 miles from...
Planned Parenthood Weighs Options After Funding Loss
Organization quit federal program over rule
- Planned Parenthood clinics are charging new fees, tapping financial reserves, intensifying fundraising and warning of more unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases after its decision to quit a $260 million federal family planning program in an abortion dispute with the Trump administration. The fallout is especially intense in Utah, where...
Planned Parenthood Drops Out of US Program
Organization objects to abortion prohibition, will forfeit aid
- Planned Parenthood says it's pulling out of the federal family planning program rather than abide by a new Trump administration rule prohibiting participants from referring patients for abortions. Planned Parenthood's acting president and CEO says the organization's nationwide network of health centers will remain open and strive...
Judge Blocks 3 New Arkansas Abortion Laws
Temporary measure grants 14-day temporary restraining order
- A federal judge blocked three new abortion restrictions from taking effect Wednesday in Arkansas, including a measure that opponents say would likely force the state's only surgical abortion clinic to close. US District Judge Kristine Baker granted a 14-day temporary restraining order shortly before midnight Tuesday, the AP reports....
Planned Parenthood President Booted as New Trump Ban Takes Effect
Organization announces it will defy Trump administration ban on abortion referrals
- The president of Planned Parenthood, Dr. Leana Wen, was ousted Tuesday after just eight months on the job as the organization faced unprecedented challenges related to its role as the leading abortion provider in the US. Wen, in a Twitter post, said she learned that Planned Parenthood's board "...
For Missouri's Only Abortion Clinic, a 'Last-Minute Reprieve'
St. Louis Planned Parenthood can keep offering abortions at least until Aug. 1 license hearing
- A Missouri commissioner on Friday ruled that the state's only abortion clinic can continue providing the service at least until August as a fight over its license plays out, adding that there's a "likelihood" that the clinic will succeed in the dispute. Administrative Hearing Commissioner Sreenivasa Rao...
State's Last Abortion Clinic: Mandated Exam Is 'Assault'
Planned Parenthood of St. Louis won't comply with Missouri's pelvic exam rule
- Friday is the judge-mandated deadline for Missouri's Department of Health and Senior Services to decide whether to renew the abortion license of the sole remaining abortion clinic in the state. Just two days before the deadline, a defiant move by Planned Parenthood of St. Louis: It will no longer...
Planned Parenthood in St. Louis Stays Open During Court Fight
Judge's order protects clinic while license battle continues
- A judge in St. Louis has issued another order allowing Missouri's only clinic that provides abortion services to continue operating, the AP reports. Circuit Judge Michael Stelzer on Monday granted Planned Parenthood's request for a preliminary injunction, which extends his temporary restraining order prohibiting Missouri from allowing the...
For 1st Time Since Roe v. Wade, One State Will Likely Not Offer Abortions
Missouri is likely to lose its last abortion clinic
- By the end of this week, it will likely be impossible to get a legal abortion in Missouri. The state's last remaining abortion clinic warned that its license to provide abortions expires Friday, and Planned Parenthood says the state is "refusing to renew" it. If indeed Missouri's...
2 Big Names Just Filed Suit Over 'Extreme' Abortion Law
Planned Parenthood, ACLU are behind complaint on Alabama's near-total ban
- As states across the country have started passing more restrictive abortion laws , one has now been hit with a federal lawsuit, with two big names behind it. NBC News reports Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union filed a complaint Friday over Alabama's so-called "heartbeat" law , which...
Kavanaugh Joins More Liberal Judges in High-Profile Decision
Supreme Court opts not to hear case involving Planned Parenthood
- Planned Parenthood got some good news from the Supreme Court on Monday, as new Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined the court's more liberal judges—as did Chief Justice John Roberts—in deciding not to hear a case involving the group. The upshot is that state court rulings will remain in...
Abortion Rights Groups Win Reprieve in Iowa
Judge agrees to temporarily block most restrictive abortion law in US, set to go into effect July 1
- A judge agreed Friday to temporarily block the most restrictive abortion law in the country from taking effect in Iowa next month under an agreement between lawyers for the state and abortion rights groups. Attorneys for the state and Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said during a court hearing that they...
Report: HHS to 'Disentangle Taxpayers' From Abortions
Mandate would ban federally funded clinics from referrals, sharing space with abortion providers
- An announcement expected Friday out of Health and Human Services has abortion rights advocates and doctors' groups steeled for a new battle on the family planning front. Per the AP and
New York Times
, White House officials and other sources say a Reagan-era ban is about to be rebooted: one...
Planned Parenthood CEO: I Shut Down Kushner's Abortion Idea
Cecile Richards writes he suggested a trade: money for no more abortions
- Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards' new memoir dropped Tuesday, and one passage in it is getting some attention.
reports that Richards writes of being encouraged by a "friendly acquaintance in the fashion industry" to reach out to Ivanka Trump in the wake of Hillary Clinton's loss, amid...
How Mila Kunis' Pence Prank Sparked Calls to #BoycottBeam
The actress donates to Planned Parenthood in the vice president's name
- While promoting her new movie,
A Bad Moms Christmas,
Thursday night, actress Mila Kunis waded deep into the culture wars, and now it looks like she may have taken a beloved brand of bourbon with her. During her interview, Kunis admitted to Conan O'Brien that she's...
Twitter Bars Candidate's Ad Over 'Baby Body Parts' Line
Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee is running to replace Bob Corker in the Senate
- Conservative congresswoman Marsha Blackburn is running for the Senate, and her entry into the Tennessee race has gotten more attention than anticipated thanks to a decision by Twitter. The company blocked a video ad in which Blackburn declares, "I fought Planned Parenthood and we stopped the sale of baby...
Court Decision Could Pave Way for 'Showdown' Over Planned Parenthood
Court says Arkansas can block funding for the organization
- A federal appeals court panel ruled Wednesday that Arkansas can block Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood, the AP reports. In a 2-1 ruling, an 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals panel vacated preliminary injunctions a federal judge issued preventing the state from suspending any Medicaid payments for services rendered to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ex-Biden Aide Makes Harrowing Accusation
She Said Virus Coverage Was to Hurt Trump. Now, a Parting
US City's Outbreak Is 'Off the Charts'
The National Guard Seeks Fleeing New Yorkers
Amazon Delivery Guy Seen Spitting on Box
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.