Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Berates Man Who
Killed Wife With Spiked Cereal
Dec 11, 2021 6:31 AM CST
Judge Berates Man Who Killed Wife With Spiked Cereal
Jason Harris was on Friday sentenced to life in prison
- A Michigan man who was convicted of killing his wife by spiking her cereal with heroin was sentenced Friday to life in prison. Genesee Circuit Court Judge David J. Newblatt handed down the sentence for Jason Harris of Davison in the 2014 death of Christina Davis, MLive.com reports. A...
FBI: Fetty Wap
Oct 29, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
FBI: Fetty Wap Helped Flood Long Island With Drugs
Rapper busted by FBI Thursday at music fest at NYC's Citi Field
- Fetty Wap has had his fair share of legal trouble over the past few years, and he's now got another woe to add to the list. WABC reports the 30-year-old rapper, real name William Junior Maxwell II, was arrested Thursday by FBI agents at Citi Field in Queens, NY....
This Columbia Prof Has Used
Heroin, Regularly, for 5 Years
Feb 13, 2021 11:48 AM CST
This Columbia Prof Has Used Heroin, Regularly, for 5 Years
Carl Hart makes a scientific case in 'Drug Use for Grown-Ups'
- Carl Hart is a psychology professor at Columbia University, a well regarded researcher, and "an unapologetic drug user" who has been using heroin regularly for five years. So the 54-year-old reveals in
Drug Use for Grown-Ups
, which he released in January. Unapologetic is right. As the
'Party Monster' Is Dead at 54
Dec 26, 2020 10:30 AM CST
'Party Monster' Is Dead at 54
Michael Alig of NYC club fame has suspected heroin overdose
- He lived a life so wild that it was the subject not only of a Hollywood feature film but a documentary to boot. But that life ended on Christmas Eve in a way that might not be surprising to those familiar with 54-year-old Michael Alig: an apparent heroin overdose in...
Feb 25, 2020 11:34 AM CST
Congressional Candidate Speaks After Overdose
No shame for Chris Taylor, who suspends bid to seek treatment
- A Republican vying for Congress in Arizona has suspended his bid after overdosing on heroin. "I recently relapsed after having so many solid years in sobriety," Chris Taylor, a Safford city councilman who completed two tours of duty in Afghanistan and has struggled with opioid addiction since high...
Then Came an
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 22, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Heroin Killed the Cheerleader. Then Came an 'Unusual Charge'
Inside the looming trial in connection with the death of a Tampa 17-year-old
- Katie Golden was a fan of Titan Goodson, but she seemed to mostly be alone in that department. The Florida 17-year-old's parents disliked him, writing him off as a bad influence on the college-bound cheerleader. The grandparents he lived with thought he might be doing drugs and planned to...
Flesh-Eating Bacteria Kills 7 in
San Diego. This Is to Blame
Dec 5, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Flesh-Eating Bacteria Kills 7 in San Diego. This Is to Blame
Bacteria is linked to the injection of black tar heroin
- Seven people in San Diego County have been killed by a flesh-eating bacteria since the beginning of October, and health officials say the outbreak is linked to the use of black tar heroin. Black tar heroin is "sticky like roofing tar or hard like coal," with a dark...
'Drug Death Capital of
the World' Makes a Move
Nov 27, 2019 4:32 PM CST
'Drug Death Capital of the World' Makes a Move
Pilot program in Glasgow, Scotland, will see homeless drug addicts inject heroin in facility
- A country known as the "drug death capital of the world" is doing something to chip away at that label. As part of a pilot program launched Tuesday in Glasgow, Scotland, up to 20 homeless drug users who fall into the most "severe" and "complex" addiction category...
Troopers Searched the Fish
Box. There Wasn't Fish Inside
Nov 23, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Troopers Searched the Fish Box. There Wasn't Fish Inside
Cenen Placencia accused of trying to smuggle $400K of drugs in spoiled goat intestines
- An Alaska man found with $400,000 in illegal drugs hidden in spoiled goat intestines at an airport has been arrested. Per the AP , Cenen Placencia of Kodiak was arrested Wednesday at Anchorage’s international airport, authorities said. Investigators with Alaska State Troopers searched a large fish box the 71-year-old...
Tiny Nation Has
Nov 21, 2019 12:10 PM CST
Tiny Nation Has World's Worst Heroin Problem
Nearly 10% of Seychelles working population is addicted
- Coral reefs, beautiful beaches ... and the world's worst heroin problem. In the Seychelles, nearly 10% of the working population is addicted to the drug, the highest per capita rate of heroin abuse around the globe, the BBC reports. Of the 94,000 people living in the Indian Ocean archipelago—...
Florida Mom Overdoses
With 3 Kids in Car
Nov 4, 2019 1:31 AM CST
Florida Mom Overdoses With 3 Kids in Car
Her 12-year-old daughter called 911
- A 12-year-old girl in Florida may have saved her mother's life after the woman overdosed on heroin while driving on a highway, police say. "My mom won't wake up and we're on the I-4 in the car," the girl said after calling 911. "We'...
Mom Makes Scary Find
in Child's Halloween Bag
Oct 27, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Mom Makes Scary Find in Child's Halloween Bag
New Jersey police issue a warning after trunk or treat event
- A New Jersey parent was just a little surprised to look through her child's Halloween-event haul and find what looked like heroin. "I looked at it twice and I said, 'Wait, this is not candy,'" she tells WPVI . Seems the plastic baggie with a paper...
Before OD Death
Oct 3, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Vine Founder Texted 'Candyshop' Before OD Death
6 charged with conspiring to distribute drugs in NYC
- Six people who allegedly operated a drug delivery service called Mike's Candyshop have been arrested in connection with the overdose death of Vine founder Colin Kroll. The suspects, ages 25 to 38, each face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison on a charge of conspiring to...
Cops: Man Killed Wife
With Heroin-Laced Cereal
Aug 28, 2019 9:01 AM CDT
Cops: Man Killed Wife With Heroin-Laced Cereal
Charges come 5 years after Christina Harris' death
- A month after Christina Harris was found dead at her Michigan home on Sept. 29, 2014, her death was ruled an accidental heroin overdose. That left many questions since none of the woman's friends and family knew her to use heroin. And though her husband had been fired from...
Death Ruled Accidental
Jun 14, 2019 9:21 AM CDT
Columbine Survivor's Death Ruled Accidental
Austin Eubanks died of a heroin overdose
- Austin Eubanks was found dead in his Colorado home on May 18, 20 years after he hid under a library table and managed to survive the Columbine school shooting. Now the Routt County Coroner's Office has confirmed his cause of death: acute heroin toxicity. Coroner Robert Ryg tells CNN...
She Lived 20 Years.
Now Her Friend Will
Go to Jail for 21
May 30, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
She Lived 20 Years. Now Her Friend Will Go to Jail for 21
Emma Semler left Jennifer Werstler to die of heroin overdose
- Tears flowing down her cheeks, Emma Semler turned to the family of a deceased friend and mouthed the words, "I'm sorry." The mother of Jennifer Werstler—who died of a heroin overdose on the floor of a KFC bathroom on her 20th birthday in 2014—wasn't...
Opioid Crisis Sees Ray of Hope
May 11, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Opioid Crisis Sees Ray of Hope
Use of prescription opioids actually fell in 2018
- For those grieving the opioid crisis, a sliver of hope: America's use of prescription opioids fell more than ever last year amid a government crackdown on drugmakers and pharmacists, CNBC reports. Overall use dropped 17% in 2018, the biggest decline on record, according to the health research firm IQVIA...
DEA Busts a Staggering
Amount of Fentanyl
Mar 3, 2019 10:34 AM CST
DEA Busts a Staggering Amount of Fentanyl
Enough to kill 2M people found in house in Westchester, NY
- "The fentanyl alone has the potency to kill nearly over 2 million people." This from Ray Donovan, special agent with the New York division of the DEA, about a drug bust on Friday morning in suburban Westchester County that yielded five kilos of fentanyl and six kilos of...
Bad Time to Overdose: While
Driving School Bus Full of Kids
Feb 21, 2019 7:11 AM CST
Bad Time to Overdose: While Driving School Bus Full of Kids
Lisa Byrd facing child endangerment charges after she's revived with Narcan: cops
- A school bus carrying a dozen special-needs children crashed into a tree in Newark on Wednesday, but police say that wasn't the worst part. Though no kids were injured, the driver of the bus, found slumped over the wheel, had overdosed on heroin and had to be revived with...
OD Deaths in US Last Year
Nov 2, 2018 4:47 PM CDT
Record-Breaking Drug OD Deaths in US Last Year
200 people died per day in US in 2017, per the DEA
- Drug overdose deaths hit the highest level ever recorded in the US last year, with an estimated 200 people dying per day, according to a report by the DEA. Most of that was the result of a record number of opioid-related deaths. Preliminary figures show more than 72,000 people...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.