Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly Blasts White Supremacy
Stories 1 - 20 |
Airline's Stock Soars After
JetBlue Announces Hostile Bid
May 16, 2022 3:26 PM CDT
Airline's Stock Soars After JetBlue Announces Hostile Bid
Spirit Airlines was up 13.6%
- Stocks ended another wobbly day mostly lower on Wall Street Monday, extending a losing streak for markets. The S&P 500 couldn’t hold on to an afternoon gain and ended down 0.4%. The benchmark index is coming off a six-week losing streak. Tech companies were among the biggest...
Dow Gains, but Can't Avoid
7-Week Losing Streak
May 13, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
Dow Gains, but Can't Avoid 7-Week Losing Streak
Index rises 466 points
- Stocks rallied on Wall Street Friday, but not enough to claw back all the losses the market has taken in this volatile week of trading, per the AP . The Dow rose 466 points, or 1.4%, to 32,196; the S&P 500 rose 93 points, or 2.3%, to...
Stocks Trim Losses,
but Finish Mostly Lower
May 12, 2022 3:17 PM CDT
Stocks Trim Losses, but Finish Mostly Lower
Crypto holders are feeling the pain, too
- The selloff eased a bit on Thursday. The Dow fell 103 points to 31,730, while the S&P 500 fell 5 points to 3,930. The tech-heavy Nasdaq managed to tick up 6 points to 11,370. All three changes were just a fraction of a percent either up...
Stocks Drop After
Inflation Report Is
Worse Than Feared
May 11, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Stocks Drop After Inflation Report Is Worse Than Feared
Tech stocks led the way down
- Stocks fell on Wall Street Wednesday, led by more drops in technology companies, after a report on inflation came in worse than feared. The S&P 500 fell 65.87 points, or 1.6%, to 3,935.18. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 326.63 points, or 1%, to...
Peloton Drops 8.7%
After Reporting Fall in Sales
May 10, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Peloton Drops 8.7% After Reporting Fall in Sales
Tech gains helped S&P 500 revere slide
- Stocks ended mixed on Wall Street Tuesday after a rally in technology companies helped reverse most of an early slide. The S&P 500 wound up 0.2% higher after giving up most of an early gain of 1.9%. It also traded in the red around midday. Big technology...
Is the Tech
May 10, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Is the Tech Bubble Bursting?
Leading companies have lost $1T in value in just 3 days, reports CNBC
- Soaring tech stocks hit all kinds of milestones as they led a market resurgence. Now comes a milestone of the opposite variety: CNBC reports that the biggest companies in the sector have lost a combined $1 trillion in value in just the last three days of trading. Apple has fared...
May 9, 2022 3:36 PM CDT
Wall Street's Losses Worsen
S&P 500 is at its lowest in more than a yer
- Stocks deepened their losses on Wall Street Monday, sending the S&P 500 to its lowest close in more than a year. The benchmark index is coming off its fifth weekly loss in a row as renewed worries about China’s economy piled on top of markets already battered by...
Wall Street Drops Again,
but Not as Far
May 6, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
Wall Street Drops Again, but Not as Far
Dow slips 98 points
- Stocks had a relatively calm day to finish the week. All the major indexes fell, but nothing on the scale of Thursday's rout. The Dow dropped 98 points to 32,899, the S&P 500 fell 23 points to 4,123, and the Nasdaq fell 173 points to 12,...
Rally Turns Out to Be
a Single-Day Event
May 5, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
Rally Turns Out to Be a Single-Day Event
Dow drops 1K points as concern about interest rates builds
- A sharp sell-off left the Dow Jones Industrial Average more than 1,000 points lower Thursday, wiping out the gains from Wall Street's biggest rally in two years, as worries grow that the higher interest rates the Federal Reserve is using in its fight against inflation will slow the...
It's Been a Brutal
Morning on Wall Street
May 5, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
It's Been a Brutal Morning on Wall Street
Dow falls more than 1K, and tech stocks are cratering a day after Fed move
- Stocks are slumping in a big way on Wall Street, erasing a rally from a day earlier as markets assess the looming fallout from the Federal Reserve's stepped-up fight against inflation. Around noon, the Dow had fallen more than 1,100 points, or 3.2%, and the S&P...
After Fed Chair's
Remarks, Stocks Soar to
Biggest Gain in 2 Years
May 4, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
After Fed Chair's Remarks, Stocks Soar to Biggest Gain in 2 Years
Jerome Powell downplayed chances of even bigger rate increase
- Stocks soared to their biggest gain in two years Wednesday and bond yields dropped after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell downplayed the likelihood of an even larger rate increase than the one announced Wednesday. That allayed concerns that the central bank was on its way to a massive increase of...
Investors Are 'Positioning'
Ahead of Fed Rate Decision
May 3, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Investors Are 'Positioning' Ahead of Fed Rate Decision
Indexes edged higher Tuesday
- Stock closed modestly higher on Wall Street Tuesday as investors await Wednesday’s decision by the Federal Reserve on interest rates. The S&P 500 rose 20.10 points, or 0.5%, to 4,175.48. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 67.29 points, or 0.2%, to 33,...
Late Rally From Tech Stocks
Erases Early Wall St. Slump
May 2, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Late Rally From Tech Stocks Erases Early Wall St. Slump
Bond yields hit highest level since 2018
- A late rally in big technology stocks erased an afternoon slump on Wall Street and left major indexes moderately higher. The uneven start to May followed a brutal April in which widespread technology sell-offs dragged down major benchmarks. Facebook’s parent company and chipmaker Nvidia each rose 5.3%. The...
Nasdaq Has Worst Month
Since Crisis of 2008
Apr 29, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Nasdaq Has Worst Month Since Crisis of 2008
It's another brutal day on Wall Street
- The best thing Wall Street investors can say about the month of April is that it's over. Friday was another miserable day, with Amazon's gloomy earnings and resulting stock drop leading the way to a rout in tech stocks, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The Dow fell 939...
Facebook, Tech Stocks
Lift Market to Big Day
Apr 28, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Facebook, Tech Stocks Lift Market to Big Day
Dow rises more than 600 points
- Stocks have been up-and-down all week, but they were most definitely on the up side Thursday. The Dow rose 614 points, or 1.8%, to 33,916; the S&P 500 rose 103 points, or 2.4%, to 4,287; and the tech-heavy Nasdaq did best of all, rising 382...
Boeing Among the Losers
in Wobbly Day on Wall St.
Apr 27, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Boeing Among the Losers in Wobbly Day on Wall St.
'Everyone is dealing with this sort of whack-a-mole of risks'
- Stocks ended with meager gains on Wall Street Wednesday, stabilizing after a sell-off in tech stocks a day earlier. It’s the latest turbulence for the market as traders brace for more earnings reports from major US companies. The S&P 500 saw most of a midday rally evaporate and...
Tesla Stock Slumps 12.2%
Apr 26, 2022 3:54 PM CDT
Tesla Stock Slumps 12.2%
Investors worry Twitter buy will distract Musk
- More sharp declines in Big Tech stocks sent the Nasdaq composite down 4% Tuesday, the worst drop for the tech-heavy index since September 2020. The Nasdaq is now down 20% so far this year as investors shun the ultra-pricey tech sector, which had made gangbuster gains for much of the...
Twitter Stock Rises,
Tesla Falls After
Musk Buyout Confirmed
Apr 25, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Twitter Stock Rises, Tesla Falls After Musk Buyout Confirmed
Indexes close higher after late wave of buying
- A late wave of buying left major indexes higher on Wall Street after another day of up-and-down trading. A rebound in technology stocks helped turn things around in the last hour of trading Monday. The S&P 500 rose 24.34 points, or 0.6%, to 4,296.12. The...
It Was a Brutal Day
on Wall Street
Apr 22, 2022 3:09 PM CDT
It Was a Brutal Day on Wall Street
Dow falls by 2.8%, the S&P by 2.7%
- Major indexes had been on track to score a winning week, and then Friday happened. The Dow plunged 981 points to 33,811—its worst day since 2020—while the S&P 500 fell 121 points to 4,271, and the Nasdaq fell 335 points to 12,839. The losses...
Wall Street Starts Strong,
Ends Up in the Red
Apr 21, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Wall Street Starts Strong, Ends Up in the Red
Dow falls 368
- Stocks shed early gains and finished broadly lower on Wall Street Thursday as traders reviewed the latest round of earnings reports from several big US companies. The Dow fell 368 points to 34,792, the S&P 500 fell 65 points to 4,393, and the Nasdaq fell 278 points...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
18-Year-Old Topples Track Record From 1965
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.