Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wall Street Ends Rough
Week With Smaller Losses
Sep 22, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Wall Street Ends Rough Week With Smaller Losses
Dow falls more than 100 points
- Wall Street slipped again on Friday, but with losses not as large as earlier in the week.
The S&P fell by 9 points to 4,320.
The Dow fell 106 points to 33,963.
The Nasdaq fell 12 points to 13,211.
For the week, the S&P was
Wall Street Still Falling
After Fed's Prediction
Sep 21, 2023 3:23 PM CDT
Wall Street Still Falling After Fed's Prediction
Dow drops 370 points
- Wall Street tumbled again Thursday as stock prices dropped worldwide on expectations that US interest rates will stay high well into next year. Fears of a government shutdown aren't helping, either.
The S&P 500 fell 72 points, or 1.6%, to 4,330.
The Dow fell 370 points,
Stocks Drop as Fed's
Latest Projections Sink In
Sep 20, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Stocks Drop as Fed's Latest Projections Sink In
Rates may only go down by half a point next year
- US stocks slumped after the Federal Reserve said it may not cut interest rates next year by as much as it earlier thought, regardless of how much Wall Street wants it. The S&P 500 fell 41.75 points, or 0.9%, to 4,402.20. The Dow Jones Industrial...
Instacart Makes Market Debut
Sep 19, 2023 3:37 PM CDT
Instacart Makes Market Debut
Its shares rose 12.3% as wider market slipped
- Stocks slipped as Wall Street waits for the Federal Reserve's latest decision on interest rates. The S&P 500 fell 9.58 points, or 0.2%, to 4,443.95 Tuesday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 106.57 points, or 0.3%, to 34,517.73. The Nasdaq...
Strike Hits Ford, GM Stock
Sep 18, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Strike Hits Ford, GM Stock
Rise in oil lifts energy producers
- US stocks drifted in quiet trading Monday, as Wall Street made few big moves overall in advance of the Federal Reserve's next meeting on interest rates. The S&P 500 edged up by 3.21 points, or 0.1%, to 4,453.53, coming off its second straight losing week....
Auto Stocks Steady Amid
Strike, Broader Market Sinks
Sep 15, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Auto Stocks Steady Amid Strike, Broader Market Sinks
Benchmark S&P 500 loses more than 1%
- Major stock indexes turned lower on Wall Street on Friday to bring a choppy week to a close.
The S&P 500 fell 54 points, or 1.2%, to 4,450.
The Dow fell 288 points, or 0.8%, to 34,618.
The Nasdaq fell 217 points, or 1.5%,
Stocks Rise, Along With
Hopes for IPO Market
Sep 14, 2023 3:23 PM CDT
Stocks Rise, Along With Hopes for IPO Market
Dow is up more than 300 points
- Stocks rose across the board on Thursday after a blizzard of reports suggested the US economy is still humming—though inflation may be, too, per the AP .
The Dow rose 331 points, or 0.9%, to 34,907. It was the index's best day since early August, notes CNBC
Wall Street Churns After
Inflation Data Arrives
Sep 13, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Wall Street Churns After Inflation Data Arrives
Rate was only slightly higher than expected
- Stocks churned to a mixed close on Wall Street after a highly anticipated report showed inflation accelerated across the country last month, but not by much more than expected. The S&P 500 rose 5.54 points, or 0.1%, to 4,467.44. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell...
Oracle Tumbles 14%
Despite Strong Profits
Sep 12, 2023 3:51 PM CDT
Oracle Tumbles 14% Despite Strong Profits
Revenue forecast was below expectations
- Stocks drifted to a lower close Tuesday as Wall Street waited for highly anticipated reports later this week about inflation and the economy. The S&P 500 fell 25.56 points, or 0.6%, to 4,461.90. The Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 17.73 points, or 0.1%,...
Tesla Jumps 10.1% as
Tech Stocks Lift Markets
Sep 11, 2023 3:59 PM CDT
Tesla Jumps 10.1% as Tech Stocks Lift Markets
Wall Street claws back around half its losses from last week
- A rally for Big Tech stocks on Monday helped Wall Street claw back about half its loss from last week. The S&P 500 rose 29.97, or 0.7%, to 4,487.46, coming off its first losing week in the last three. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained...
Listless Wall Street
Has a Losing Week
Sep 8, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Listless Wall Street Has a Losing Week
Markets saw modest gains on Friday
- Stocks ended Friday with modest gains, but the benchmark S&P 500 posted its first losing week in the last three:
The S&P 500 rose 6 points on Friday to 4,457.
The Dow rose 75 points to 34,576.
The Nasdaq rose 12 points to 13,761.
Apple Slides Again,
and the Market Follows
Sep 7, 2023 3:42 PM CDT
Apple Slides Again, and the Market Follows
Fears of higher rates continue to worry Wall Street
- Wall Street slipped Thursday on worries that a too-warm economy will push the Federal Reserve to keep interest rates higher for longer.
The S&P 500 fell 14.34 points, or 0.3%, to 4,451.14.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 57.54 points, or 0.2%, to
Roku Rises After
Announcing Job Cuts
Sep 6, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Roku Rises After Announcing Job Cuts
But major indexes dropped for a 2nd day
- Stocks fell on Wall Street, continuing a weak stretch on this holiday-shortened week. The S&P 500 fell 31.35 points, or 0.7%, to 4,465.48. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 198.78 points, or 0.6%, to 34,443.19. The Nasdaq composite fell 148.48...
Oil Prices Rise
After Russia, Saudis
Extend Production Cut
Sep 5, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Oil Prices Rise After Russia, Saudis Extend Production Cut
Indexes closed lower after 2 weeks of gains
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Tuesday as traders returned from a long holiday weekend. The S&P 500 fell 18.94 points, or 0.4%, to 4,496.83. The index is coming off its second weekly gain. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 195.74 points, or 0....
S&P Edges Up, Puts
Wraps on a Strong Week
Sep 1, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
S&P Edges Up, Puts Wraps on a Strong Week
Dow also rises more than 100 points on Friday
- Stocks had a relatively quiet day on Wall Street Friday as investors weighed the implications of a new government report showing that US job growth increased at a healthy but more moderate pace last month.
The Dow rose 115 points, or 0.3%, to 34,837.
The S&P rose
Wall Street Is Happy
to See August Go
Aug 31, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Wall Street Is Happy to See August Go
Major indexes were down for the month
- Stocks ended mixed on Wall Street on Thursday, closing out what has been a rough August.
The Dow fell 169 points, or 0.4%, to 34,721.
The S&P 500 ticked down 7 points, or 0.1%, to 4,507.
The Nasdaq rose 15 points, or 0.1%, to
Aug 30, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
'Right Now, What's Bad Is Good'
Stocks edge upward amid signs hiring is cooling
- Stocks closed modestly higher on Wall Street, chipping away at the market's losses for August. Treasury yields fell Wednesday after some weaker-than expected readings on the US economy and job market. The S&P 500 rose 17.24 points, or 0.4%, to 4,514.87 for its fourth...
Wall Street Welcomes
Signs Economy Is Cooling
Aug 29, 2023 3:34 PM CDT
Wall Street Welcomes Signs Economy Is Cooling
S&P 500 just had its best day since early June
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday as two economic reports suggested the economy is cooling enough for the Federal Reserve to pause hiking interest rates. The S&P 500 rose 64.32 points, or 1.5%, to 4,497.63, its biggest gain since early June. The Dow Jones...
Stocks Climb as
Corporate Reports Roll In
Aug 28, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Stocks Climb as Corporate Reports Roll In
S&P 500's one-day rise won't erase month's trend
- Stocks rose broadly Monday on Wall Street as markets shift their attention from the Federal Reserve to more corporate and economic reports. The gains extended the broader market's winning streak after it notched its first weekly gain since July, the AP reports.
The Dow rose 213.08 points, or
One of Powell's Words
Gives Wall Street a Lift
Aug 25, 2023 3:12 PM CDT
One of Powell's Words Gives Wall Street a Lift
Markets rise after Fed chief says bank will proceed 'carefully' on rate hikes
- Wall Street cruised to its first winning week in the last four after the head of the Federal Reserve said that while it may not be done raising rates, it will "proceed carefully" before its next move.
The Dow rose 247 points, or 0.7%, to 34,346.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.