Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 11, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Brutality in Ethiopia Is 'Absolutely Shocking'
Amnesty International says government is using rape as weapon of war
- Ethiopia's military is guilty of war crimes, including using rape as a weapon of war, according to Amnesty International, which shares horrific accounts from victims in a new report . The group says "overwhelming evidence" shows rape has been rampant in Ethiopia's northern Tigray region since fighting between...
Ethiopia Asks 'All Capable'
Citizens to Join War
Aug 10, 2021 1:38 PM CDT
Ethiopia Asks 'All Capable' Citizens to Join War
Tigray rebels warn they will become 'cannon fodder'
- Ethiopia’s government on Tuesday summoned “all capable" citizens to war, urging them to join the military and stop resurgent forces from the embattled Tigray region "once and for all," per the AP . The Tigray forces continue to make advances in a war that Prime Minister Abiy...
Ceasefire in Tigray
Jun 28, 2021 5:56 PM CDT
Ethiopia Declares Ceasefire in Tigray
Interim administration flees regional capital
- Ethiopia’s government on Monday declared an immediate, unilateral ceasefire in its Tigray region after nearly eight months of deadly conflict as Tigray forces occupied the regional capital, soldiers retreated, and hundreds of thousands of people continue to face the world’s worst famine crisis in a decade. The ceasefire...
Amid a Civil War, Chilling
Evidence of Hilltop Massacre
Apr 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid a Civil War, Chilling Evidence of Hilltop Massacre
Ethiopian army accused of shooting unarmed men
- Horror stories continue to emerge out of Ethiopia stemming from a civil war that erupted in November . Reports of massacres and systemic rape are rampant, and the latest involves the killing of at least 15 unarmed young men on a hilltop. Coverage, some of which is graphic:
Last month, clips
War Criminals Set to Leave
Embassy After 29 Years
Jan 4, 2021 1:31 PM CST
War Criminals Set to Leave Embassy After 29 Years
Regime officials fled to Italian embassy as rebels seized Ethiopian capital
- As rebels entered Addis Ababa on May 27, 1991, ending 17 years of Marxist rule in Ethiopia, four senior officials in the Communist regime fled to the Italian embassy. The two surviving ones might finally be leaving soon. Berhanu Bayeh and Addis Tedla, who were sentenced to death for war...
Ethiopian PM: 'Final Stage'
of Offensive Begins Now
Nov 26, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Ethiopian PM: 'Final Stage' of Offensive Begins Now
Army is advancing on the Tigray regional capital of Mekele
- Ethiopia's prime minister said Thursday the army has been ordered to move on the embattled Tigray regional capital of Mekele after his 72-hour ultimatum ended for Tigray leaders to surrender, and he warned its half-million residents to stay indoors and disarm. The military offensive “has reached its final...
Nov 12, 2020 12:05 AM CST
Thousands Flee Fierce Fighting in Ethiopia
Hundreds dead on both side in Tigray conflict
- Up to 200,000 refugees could pour into Sudan while fleeing a deadly conflict in Ethiopia’s northern Tigray region, officials said Wednesday, while the first details are emerging of largely cut-off civilians under growing strain. Nearly 10,000 people have crossed the border, including some wounded in the fighting,...
80 Die in Protests After
Popular Singer Killed
Jul 2, 2020 3:39 AM CDT
80 Die in Protests After Popular Singer Killed
Shooting has laid bare tensions in Ethiopia
- The murder of a popular singer has caused unrest in Ethiopia and at least 80 deaths, authorities say. Hachalu Hundessa, whose songs focused on the rights of the Oromo ethnic group, was shot dead while driving Monday, the BBC reports. Authorities say more than 70 civilians and at least three...
In Lebanon, Scores
of Migrant Maids
Dumped Like 'Garbage'
Jun 22, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
In Lebanon, Scores of Migrant Maids Dumped Like 'Garbage'
Ethiopian workers are being abandoned on embassy steps in Beirut as virus kills economy
- There are about a quarter-million migrant workers in Lebanon, many of them from Ethiopia, but as the coronavirus continues to wreak havoc on the former country's economy, maids from the latter are finding themselves suddenly out of a job and dumped on the doorstep of the Ethiopian Embassy in...
UN Pleads for Help Amid
'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Jan 24, 2020 12:15 PM CST
UN Pleads for Help Amid 'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya all overtaken; UN says locust numbers could grow 500 times by June
- Last month, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization reported on the plague of locusts that had overtaken Somalia and Ethiopia, and now a new East African nation is being beleaguered by the bugs. The FAO says Kenya is also dealing with an "unprecedented" and "devastating" number of...
Upon 2 Nations
Dec 19, 2019 1:12 PM CST
Locust Plague Swoops Down Upon 2 Nations
Somalia, Ethiopia seeing worst invasion of desert locusts in 25 years: UN food agency
- Crops on nearly 173,000 acres of land have been destroyed in Somalia and parts of eastern Ethiopia in what the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization is deeming the region's worst desert locust invasion in a quarter century. The FAO notes the insect plague is imperiling farmers' livelihoods...
After Tour: I'm
Moving to Africa
Nov 29, 2019 5:51 AM CST
Twitter CEO After Tour: I'm Moving to Africa
Jack Dorsey will spend up to half of 2020 on the continent
- Jack Dorsey is moving to Africa. The Twitter and Square CEO announced his plan in a Wednesday tweet after wrapping up a nearly three-week tour of the continent, with stops in Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and South Africa. "Sad to be leaving the continent...for now," he wrote, adding,...
Life Endures Pretty Much
Nov 23, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Life Endures Pretty Much Anywhere—Except Here
The landscape at Dallol is forbidding to say the least
- Just because a planet has liquid, don't expect life there—at least according to a new study that delved into one of Earth's most toxic environments, CNN reports. Scientists took samples from the creepy, multicolored pools on a volcanic crater in Ethiopia, and found not one living thing....
Woman Beats Legendary
Runner on Her First Try
Nov 3, 2019 11:58 AM CST
Woman Beats Legendary Runner on Her First Try
While Geoffrey Kamworor takes his second NYC marathon title since 2017
- Joyciline Jepkosgei arrived in New York with a modest goal for her first marathon ever. "My focus was to finish the race," she said, a gold medal hanging around her neck. Not bad for a novice. Jepkosgei upset four-time champion Mary Keitany to win the New York City...
Ethiopian Leader Wins
Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 11, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
Ethiopian Leader Wins Nobel Peace Prize
Abiy Ahmed ended border conflict with Eritrea
- The 2019 Nobel Peace has been awarded to Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. Ahmed was cited for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation, and in particular for his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighboring Eritrea. The Norwegian Nobel Institute on Friday also praised the "...
Canadian Lottery Winner
Dies Mysteriously in Ethiopia
Sep 24, 2019 3:38 AM CDT
Canadian Lottery Winner Dies Mysteriously in Ethiopia
He returned to homeland after winning US $8M
- In 2017, soon after he was laid off from his job at a manufacturing plant in Toronto, Michael Gebru won a Canadian $10 million lottery jackpot—around $8 million US—after initially thinking he had won just $14. He was dead less than two years later. Relatives tell the CBC...
Aug 28, 2019 5:35 PM CDT
Face of Lucy's Ancestor Revealed
Ethiopian fossil reveals face for the species A. anamensis
- A fossil from Ethiopia is letting scientists look millions of years into our evolutionary history—and they see a face peering back. The find, from 3.8 million years ago, reveals the face of a presumed ancestor of the species famously represented by Lucy, the celebrated Ethiopian partial skeleton found...
Planted 353M Trees
—in Half a Day
Jul 30, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
This Country Planted 353M Trees —in Half a Day
4B is the ultimate goal in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia claims it has smashed a world record in the name of climate change—and the tree planting isn't even done. More than 353 million tree seedlings were planted across the country in just 12 hours as part of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's Green Legacy reforestation campaign, per...
Glaring Error on Africa Map
Called 'Act of Aggression'
May 27, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Glaring Error on Africa Map Called 'Act of Aggression'
No, Ethiopia has not annexed Somalia
- Typically it's New Zealand that gets left off maps . But this time, Somalia is getting a taste of the affront via a map published by its neighbor and longtime rival, Ethiopia. The map, removed Sunday from the website for Ethiopia's foreign ministry, showed Somalian territory included within Ethiopia'...
Crash That Killed 157
Is 'Highly Suspicious'
Mar 10, 2019 5:10 PM CDT
Crash That Killed 157 Is 'Highly Suspicious'
Messages of grief are pouring in from around the world
- Grief flowed in from 35 countries Sunday as rescuers searched through remains in Ethiopia and experts asked how yet another Boeing 737-8 MAX could plunge from the sky—this also killing everyone on board, the
New York Times
reports. Flight data tweeted by FlightRadar24 shows that Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.