Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pilots Send Out an SOS:
'We Have a Horse in Difficulty'
Nov 15, 2023 9:20 AM CST
Pilots Send Out an SOS: 'We Have a Horse in Difficulty'
Plane bound for Belgium forced to return to JFK after equine passenger gets loose in cargo hold
- A flight from Belgium out of New York City took a wild turn last week after a horse managed to get out of its enclosure in the cargo hold, forcing the plane to turn back to the US. Jalopnik reports that Air Atlanta Icelandic Flight 4592 took off Thursday from...
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed
'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Nov 10, 2023 8:44 AM CST
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed 'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Aircraft out of London with missing windows got to altitude of 14.5K feet before damage was spotted
- Twenty people are breathing a sigh of relief that their flight safely made it back to London after a startling discovery made midair. Per a report released Friday, investigators with the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch say an Airbus A321 took off on Oct. 4 from the British capital'...
Suspect in Midflight
Scare: 'I'm Not Right'
Oct 24, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Suspect in Midflight Scare: 'I'm Not Right'
Psychotic breakdown may be behind incident with Alaska Airlines pilot
- The investigation continues, but authorities at the moment don't think an alarming incident aboard an Alaska Airlines jet is related to terrorism, reports CNN . Instead, the suspect accused of trying to shut off the passenger plane's engines midflight is believed to have suffered some kind of mental breakdown....
So This Happened
to a Parked
Oct 23, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
So This Happened to a Parked JetBlue Plane
Plane landed at JFK, then rocked back at a 30-degree angle during deplaning
- JetBlue officials say a plane rocked back with its nose pointed skyward after landing at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport because of a shift in weight on the aircraft, reports the AP . Videos posted on social media show Flight 662 from Bridgetown, Barbados, at the passenger gate...
Here's Why United Jet Came
Close to Hitting the Ocean
Aug 11, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Here's Why United Jet Came Close to Hitting the Ocean
NTSB report blames 'miscommunication' between pilot, co-pilot
- The National Transportation Safety Board has completed its investigation into a 2022 United Airlines flight that came within 748 feet of crashing into the Pacific Ocean, and NTSB investigators say pilot error was to blame, CNN reports. The incident started when the captain called for the Boeing 777's flaps,...
Flier's Alleged Threat
Shuts Down an Airport
Jul 6, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
Flier's Alleged Threat Shuts Down an Airport
Officials say incident occurred Wednesday on Alaska Airlines flight from Atlanta to Seattle
- An Alaska Airlines passenger made a "direct threat" regarding the plane's safety to a flight attendant on Wednesday, say officials—causing the flight to make an emergency landing at the Spokane International Airport, which was shut down for more than an hour after Flight 334 landed there. NBC...
New Zealand PM's
Plane Is Very Rickety
Jun 27, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
New Zealand PM's Plane Is Very Rickety
'Betty' so prone to breakdowns that NZ sent a backup when Chris Hipkins traveled to China
- The United States has Air Force One, a plane that can refuel in midair and act as a presidential command center. New Zealand has "Betty," an aging Boeing 757 that officials on Monday acknowledged was so prone to breakdowns they'd sent an empty backup to ensure Prime...
Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Jun 2, 2023 1:02 PM CDT
Fellow Passengers Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett, both nurses, save a man with no pulse aboard plane
- After a four-day cruise in the Bahamas, Baltimore couple Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett were eager to get home. So eager, in fact, that they twice tried to switch to an earlier flight out of Fort Lauderdale, where their cruise ship docked around 9am on May 1. Ultimately, they stuck...
Mexico's President Dumps
Unwanted Luxury Jet for $92M
Apr 21, 2023 7:11 AM CDT
Mexico's President Dumps Unwanted Luxury Jet for $92M
Austerity-loving Lopez Obrador sells presidential plane to former Soviet republic of Tajikistan
- After almost 4 1/2 years of trying, Mexico's president said Thursday he has finally sold his unwanted presidential jet—to the former Soviet republic of Tajikistan. President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said that nation's government paid the equivalent of about $92 million for the Boeing 787 jet. Lopez...
You Don't Want to Know What
This Plane's Parking Fee Is
Apr 18, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
You Don't Want to Know What This Plane's Parking Fee Is
Russian aircraft stranded at Toronto airport for more than a year has racked up $330K bill so far
- Toronto Pearson International Airport spells out pretty clearly how much patrons might owe for both short- and long-term parking there, but the venue is now contending with one situation that isn't covered on its rates sheet. There are just over two dozen Antonov AN-124 cargo planes that exist on...
Pilot Who Felt 'Cool Sensation'
on Back Made Terrifying Find
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Pilot Who Felt 'Cool Sensation' on Back Made Terrifying Find
Highly venomous cape cobra had slithered its way onto the plane
- A cobra encounter is nerve-wracking no matter where it takes place, but we imagine it's worse when trapped in a small plane 11,000 feet high in the sky. That was the plight earlier this week of a South African pilot and his passengers when he was confronted by...
Catch a Break
Mar 6, 2023 12:25 PM CST
Southwest Cannot Catch a Break
One engine on fire out of Cuba, and one pretty harrowing flight diverts to Myrtle Beach
- Southwest is really having a sub-par time of it lately. The airline that can catch no breaks continued its run of catching no breaks with a pair of incidents in recent days that are keeping its public-relations department hopping:
To get the weekend off to a rocking start, a Southwest
2 Familiar Faces Were on
Turbulent Lufthansa Flight
in case you missed it
Mar 5, 2023 11:45 AM CST
2 Familiar Faces Were on Turbulent Lufthansa Flight
Camila Alves shares footage from plane she says she, husband Matthew McConaughey were on
- A Lufthansa flight headed from Texas to Germany this week that experienced severe turbulence , sending seven to the hospital, had two of the Lone Star State's most famous residents on board. Model and designer Camila Alves McConaughey, wife of actor Matthew McConaughey, posted a clip online Thursday showing some...
Elvis' Languishing Jet
Finds a Buyer
Feb 15, 2023 1:30 AM CST
Elvis' Languishing Jet Finds a Buyer
It sold for $260K last month
- After 40 years parked in the desert, Elvis Presley's plane has found a buyer.
on Monday reported the "battered" 1962 Lockheed Jetstar sold to an unnamed telephone bidder for $260,000 at a Jan. 8 auction. That's quite the discount off the King's purchase price...
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine
Told Not to Go Near It Twice
Jan 25, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine Told Not to Go Near It Twice
The NTSB releases a preliminary report on the Dec. 31 accident
- The American Airlines ground crew worker who died at Montgomery Regional Airport in Alabama when she was "ingested into the engine" of a parked plane had received multiple warnings about getting too close to running engines, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a preliminary report on the Dec....
Mississippi Plane Thief
Found Dead in Cell
Nov 16, 2022 4:58 PM CST
Mississippi Plane Thief Found Dead in Cell
Cory Wayne Patterson, 29, was in federal prison awaiting trial
- An airport worker who flew a stolen twin-engine plane erratically over north Mississippi for hours and threatened to crash into a Walmart store has died in federal prison while awaiting trial, authorities said Wednesday. The US Bureau of Prisons said in a statement that Cory Wayne Patterson, 29, was found...
'Makes Aviation History'
Sep 27, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
All-Electric Plane 'Makes Aviation History'
Prototype 'flew and handled wonderfully,' test pilot says
- A prototype, all-electric airplane took its first flight Tuesday morning in central Washington state. If the Federal Aviation Administration eventually certifies the small airplane to carry passengers, it could become the first all-electric commercial airplane, the
reports. The plane, built by startup Eviation, was built to carry nine...
On a Clear Morning,
2 Small Planes Collide in Midair
Sep 18, 2022 5:32 AM CDT
On a Clear Morning, 2 Small Planes Collide in Midair
3 people died in the crash near Denver
- Two small airplanes collided in midair near Denver on Saturday, killing three people, authorities said. It wasn't known what might have caused the crash between the four-seater Cessna 172 and the Sonex Xenos, a light, aluminum, homebuilt aircraft that can seat two. Nearby residents who heard the crash and...
Pilot Who Threatened
to Crash Into Walmart Lands
Sep 3, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Pilot Who Threatened to Crash Into Walmart Lands
Mississippi officials report no injuries and say suspect is in custody
This file has been updated with the plane landing.
A small airplane that circled over a Mississippi city for hours on Saturday morning while the pilot threatened to crash the aircraft into a Walmart store has landed safely in a field, the FAA reported. Gov. Tate Reeves tweeted that...
In Maine Capitol,
Sky Is Literally Falling
Aug 16, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
In Maine Capitol, Sky Is Literally Falling
Or a mysterious metal object anyway
- A large metal object thought to have come from an airliner fell from the sky and nearly hit an officer on duty outside the Maine State House on Friday. The cylinder crashed to the ground with a loud bang just six to eight feet from Capitol Police officer Craig Donahue...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.