Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
France Explains Why It Put Only
Male Cyclists in Business Class
Sep 18, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
France Explains Why It Put Only Male Cyclists in Business Class
The lower-ranked females were booked economy seats
- The French Cycling Federation flew its riders to the Cycling World Championships in Australia and booked two classes of tickets to do so. The BBC reports the 9-member men's team flew in business class, while the 7-person women's team flew in coach, as did all junior riders and...
Brings 'Great Relief'
Jun 7, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
Greg LeMond: Cancer Diagnosis Brings 'Great Relief'
US cycling legend had been feeling lousy for weeks
- Two-time world cycling champion and three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond has been diagnosed with a form of leukaemia, which he says is treatable. "No one ever wants to hear the word cancer but, admittedly, there is great relief, now, to know why I was feeling poorly,"...
Celebratory Cork Knocks
Cyclist Out of Race
May 18, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
Celebratory Cork Knocks Cyclist Out of Race
Biniam Girmay resumed the festivities after a trip to the hospital
- An Eritrean cyclist who was celebrating a victory at the Giro d'Italia cycling competition was struck in the eye by a cork popped from a bottle of Italian sparkling wine and forced to withdraw Wednesday from the race. Biniam Girmay had just become the first Black African to win...
Cyclist's Podium Celebration
Ends in Freak Prosecco Mishap
May 18, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Cyclist's Podium Celebration Ends in Freak Prosecco Mishap
Biniam Girmay was forced to pull out of the Giro d’Italia on Wednesday as a result
- An accident with a prosecco cork while celebrating his historic stage victory at the Giro d’Italia forced Biniam Girmay to pull out of the race on Wednesday. The Eritrean rider became the first Black African to win a stage at a grand tour when he beat Mathieu van der...
It Was a 'Stupidly Hard Ride.'
That Was Before the Bull
Feb 16, 2022 12:56 PM CST
It Was a 'Stupidly Hard Ride.' That Was Before the Bull
3 cyclists attacked on course Saturday in California
- "The world famous Bianchi Rock Cobbler is a stupidly hard ride bordering on a race ... conceived by drunken madmen," explains the website for the ride . But while those "drunken madmen" designed a roughly 80-mile California off-road course with as much as 6,500 feet of elevation gain,...
Cycling Official Sent Home
for Using Racial Slur
Jul 30, 2021 3:43 AM CDT
Cycling Official Sent Home for Using Racial Slur
German coach called riders from Algeria, Eritrea, 'camel drivers'
- Germany's cycling director has been sent home from the Olympics in disgrace for using a racial slur during the men's time trial. Patrick Moster, sports director for the German Cycling Federation, was heard repeatedly yelling "Get the camel drivers!" at German rider Nikias Arndt as he...
She Broke Away
at Start of Race,
Figured She'd Be
Jul 26, 2021 1:51 AM CDT
She Broke Away at Start of Race, Figured She'd Be Caught—but Wasn't
Anna Kiesenhofer stuns Olympic cycling with her gold medal win
- As Dutch champion cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the finish line of the Olympic women's road race Sunday, she raised her arms in the air, assuming she'd come in first. Not so: Anna Kiesenhofer, an Austrian cyclist who wasn't on any pre-race list of contenders, had crossed...
Cops Search for Woman Who
Caused Tour de France Pileup
Jun 28, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
Cops Search for Woman Who Caused Tour de France Pileup
Specators will face lawsuit, criminal charge
- Police in France want to talk to the fan who caused a massive crash at the Tour de France Saturday—but she may have already fled the country. The woman was looking at the camera, not the cyclists, when she stepped out into their path and held out a large...
'Everybody Is Super
Upset and Distraught'
Dec 13, 2020 2:55 PM CST
'Everybody Is Super Upset and Distraught'
5 dead cyclists were all seasoned riders. How could this have happened?
- The five cyclists who died in a horrific Nevada crash this week were no novices—far from it, in fact. The
Las Vegas Review-Journal
describes them as "seasoned bicyclists and dedicated athletes" who were key to Southern Nevada's cycling community. "All of them were in the top...
He Was Cycling
From NY to LA,
Never Made It
Nov 5, 2019 6:17 PM CST
He Was Cycling From NY to LA, Never Made It Past SC
Sangyoon Jeon, South Korea 27-year-old, killed in crash
- Sangyoon Jeon's cross-country cycling trip turned tragic Monday afternoon when the 27-year-old from South Korea was hit and killed by a van in South Carolina. Jeon set out Oct. 15 from New York City with the goal of making it to Los Angeles by Jan. 5; on Monday, he...
Tour de Poland Cyclist Dead in
Crash on 'Completely Flat' Road
Aug 6, 2019 4:16 AM CDT
Tour de Poland Cyclist Dead in Crash on 'Completely Flat' Road
Bjorg Lambrecht, 22, was a promising young rider
- The Tour de Poland turned tragic Monday when Belgian cyclist Bjorg Lambrecht crashed during the third stage of the race, dying at a local hospital. It was the 22-year-old's second time in the seven-day race, which, along with other races including the Tour de France, is part of the...
His Tour de France Win Raises
Question: How Many More?
Jul 28, 2019 7:16 PM CDT
His Tour de France Win Raises Question: How Many More?
Egan Bernal is just 22
- Egan Bernal's crowning Sunday as the Tour de France's youngest post-World War II champion, and its first from South America, heralded the birth of a new supernova in the cycling universe. Winning a Tour for the ages at the unusually young age of 22 immediately prompted a question,...
Bike Safety Advocate
Fatally Struck While Cycling
Apr 22, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Bike Safety Advocate Fatally Struck While Cycling
'Possibly the most cruel irony there is'
- Dave Salovesh was a longtime advocate for bike safety—and in what his best friend calls "possibly the most cruel irony there is," he was killed while cycling in Washington, DC, Friday morning. Police say a man driving a stolen van lost control of the vehicle and crashed...
Suicide: 'If I Am
Not an Athlete,
I Am Nothing'
in case you missed it
Apr 13, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Days Before Suicide: 'If I Am Not an Athlete, I Am Nothing'
Kelly Catlin was 'obsessed with success': 'NYT'
- A Stanford graduate student with an Olympic silver medal under her belt, Kelly Catlin was bound for "something great." Or so her mother thought. Poised for a shot at gold with the US women's cycling team at the 2020 Olympics, Catlin felt differently. In a January email—...
US Olympic Cyclist
Dies by Suicide
Mar 11, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
US Olympic Cyclist Dies by Suicide
Kelly Catlin was 23
- USA Cycling says it has suffered a "devastating loss" with the death of Kelly Catlin, a track cyclist who helped the women's pursuit team win silver at the 2016 Rio Games. Relatives say the 23-year-old died by suicide at her Stanford University campus residence Friday night, Reuters reports....
Lead Female Cyclist
Nearly Catches Men,
Forcing Race to Pause
Mar 4, 2019 5:00 PM CST
Lead Female Cyclist Nearly Catches Men, Forcing Race to Pause
But after race was restarted, she ended up in 74th place
- A women's cycling race in Belgium started 10 minutes after the men's race, but apparently there should have been an even bigger gap: As Swiss cyclist Nicole Hanselmann of the Bigla Pro team nearly caught up with the men, event organizers decided to pause the women's race...
Cyclist Calls Loss to
Transgender Rival 'Not Fair'
Oct 21, 2018 2:15 PM CDT
Cyclist Calls Loss to Transgender Rival 'Not Fair'
Canadian competitor Rachel McKinnon became the first trans woman world champion
- An American woman has cried foul after losing out in the Masters Track Cycling World Championships to a transgender rival from Canada. The controversy began after Rachel McKinnon won gold this month, edging out competitors including bronze finisher Jennifer Wagner. When a conservative media UK media personality expressed outrage over...
Lance Armstrong Settles
$100M Lawsuit for Far Less
Apr 20, 2018 2:11 AM CDT
Lance Armstrong Settles $100M Lawsuit for Far Less
He also has to pay legal costs of Floyd Landis
- Lance Armstrong has put his last legal action behind him, settling the federal government's $100 million lawsuit for $5 million. The government had been seeking damages under the False Claims Act because the disgraced cyclist used performance-enhancing drugs while his team was sponsored by the US Postal Service, CNN...
23-Year-Old Elite Cyclist
Crashes, Dies of Cardiac Arrest
Apr 9, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
23-Year-Old Elite Cyclist Crashes, Dies of Cardiac Arrest
Belgian Michael Goolaerts crashed just before the mid-way point of the Paris-Roubaix race
- By NPR's count, Sunday brought the fifth death of an elite cyclist, the oldest of whom was just 25, since 2016. Belgian Michael Goolaerts crashed just before the midway point of the Paris-Roubaix race and died Sunday night of cardiac arrest, said his team, Veranda's Willems-Crelan. He was...
Why This Man's Legs
Are Freaking Folks
Out on Instagram
Jul 19, 2017 9:29 AM CDT
Why This Man's Legs Are Freaking Folks Out on Instagram
Pawel Poljanski shows what the grueling Tour de France can do
- Just how onerous is it to cycle 2,200 miles in 23 days with just two days off? A "freaky" photo leaves no doubt, per Mashable . Sixteen stages into the Tour de France, 27-year-old Polish rider Pawel Poljanski posted a photo to Instagram showing what he says are his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Wolf Researchers: 'We Just Open-Mouthed Stared at Each Other'
Suit Seeks $5M Damages Over Mac-and-Cheese Prep Time
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.