Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hunter Biden Sues
the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Sep 18, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Sues the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Complaint by president's son alleges 2 whistleblower agents violated his privacy
- Just days after Hunter Biden was indicted on federal firearms charges, the president's son is pushing back on separate allegations about his taxes with a lawsuit against the IRS. The AP reports that Biden filed his complaint Monday, accusing two whistleblower IRS agents, Gary Shapley and Joseph Ziegler, of...
Apr 19, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Bidens' Tax Return Is Out
They paid 23.8% taxes on $579,514 earnings
- President Biden and his wife, Jill, made $579,514 last year and paid $137,658 in federal income taxes. That works out to a 23.8% tax rate, more than the average of roughly 14% for all US households, the AP reports. The Bidens' earnings have trended slightly downward over...
to Release of
His Tax Returns
Dec 30, 2022 9:24 AM CST
Trump Reacts to Release of His Tax Returns
Claims Dems have 'weaponized' his financial records, warns of 'dangerous 2-way street'
- Six years' worth of tax returns for Donald Trump were publicly released Friday, and the former president isn't waiting for analyses to come in from all of the eyes poring over the documents. In a statement released via a short Twitter thread by spokeswoman Liz Harrington, Trump defended the...
Trump's Tax Returns Just
Dropped. The Pros Are Ready
Dec 30, 2022 8:21 AM CST
Trump's Tax Returns Just Dropped. The Pros Are Ready
Tax experts will look for charity donations, real estate income and losses
- Earlier this month, the Democrat-controlled House Ways and Means Committee voted to release a report on Donald Trump's tax returns. That day has now come: On Friday, the panel publicly released those returns, "pulling back the curtain" on six years' worth of tax records (2015-2020) for the former...
Nov 1, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
SCOTUS Shields Trump Tax Returns, for Now
Chief Justice John Roberts grants temporary stay; House committee must respond to concerns
It's a temporary win for Donald Trump. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts on Tuesday put a temporary hold on the handover of the former president's federal income tax returns to a congressional committee, the AP reports. The order gives the House Ways and Means Committee until...
Trump Asks Court to
Block Release of Tax Returns
Aug 4, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Trump Asks Court to Block Release of Tax Returns
His lawyers say he's being targeted because of his 'political beliefs'
- The legal wrangling over Donald Trump's tax returns outlasted his presidency—and it appears set to continue for much of President Biden's administration. Trump's lawyers have asked a federal court to permanently block the Treasury Department from handing his tax returns over to investigators and order an...
for a Tax Refund?
The News Isn't Great
Jul 2, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
Still Waiting for a Tax Refund? The News Isn't Great
After 'unprecedented' tax season, IRS has backlog of 35M returns
- If you're wondering why your tax refund still hasn't arrived, you're in good company. After the "most challenging filing season taxpayers, tax professionals, and the IRS have ever experienced," the agency is currently trying to work its way through a backlog of 35 million tax...
Feb 25, 2021 12:05 PM CST
Manhattan DA: We've Got Trump's Tax Returns
Sources say Cy Vance's office has 'millions of pages' of documents
- A Supreme Court decision earlier this week handed Donald Trump a "significant" defeat, ruling that prosecutors in New York be given eight years' worth of the former president's tax returns and other financials. The ball seems to be quickly rolling on that front: On Thursday, a rep for...
a Big Defeat
Feb 22, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Supreme Court Hands Trump a Big Defeat
Justices clear the way for New York prosecutors to get his tax returns
- The Supreme Court handed former President Trump what the AP calls a "significant" defeat on Monday, ruling that Trump must hand over eight years of tax returns and financial records to prosecutors in New York. The decision means that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. will get valuable information...
Oct 10, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
: How Trump Made Millions by Being Our President
The New York Times takes another deep dive into Trump's finances
- Donald Trump promised to "drain the swamp" when he ran in 2016—but Mar-a-Lago and other Trump properties have become their own swamp of lobbyists, business moguls, religious groups, and foreign politicians seeking his favor as they spend millions of dollars that he turns into profits, the
Sees 'Highly Unusual'
Trump Windfall in Tax Returns
Oct 9, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Sees 'Highly Unusual' Trump Windfall in Tax Returns
$21M from his Vegas hotel came when his 2016 campaign needed it badly
New York Times
is out with an another story on President Trump's tax returns, and this time it's focusing on what is described as a "highly unusual" windfall of more than $21 million Trump received in 2016—just when his campaign needed it most. The money...
Biden Just Released
His Latest Tax Returns
Sep 29, 2020 3:46 PM CDT
Biden Just Released His Latest Tax Returns
Campaign calls it a 'historic level of transparency'
- Joe Biden has ensured that only one candidate in Tuesday night's debate is likely to face questions about not releasing tax returns. Biden released his 2019 tax returns Tuesday, hours ahead of the debate, showing that he paid just under $300,000 in federal tax for the year, the...
Trump Fires Back
at Report on Finances
Sep 28, 2020 11:21 AM CDT
Trump Fires Back at Report on Finances
President says he paid 'many millions' in taxes but was entitled to credits
- President Trump is doubling down on his initial dismissal of a damning
New York Times
story about his finances as "totally fake news." In a series of tweets Monday, Trump again pushed back, insisting he has paid "many millions of dollars in taxes." However, CNBC points...
Trump's Looming Debt
Called a 'Time Bomb'
Sep 28, 2020 8:44 AM CDT
Trump's Looming Debt Called a 'Time Bomb'
He appears to be personally on the hook for hundreds of millions in next few years
- One big takeaway from the
New York Times
report on President Trump's finances is that he has paid very little federal income tax in recent years, reportedly because his businesses are doing so badly. But another aspect of it also is drawing attention: The president's looming debt. Coverage:...
Democrats Seize on a Theme
Over Trump Tax Returns
Sep 28, 2020 6:46 AM CDT
Democrats Seize on a Theme Over Trump Tax Returns
He paid less in taxes than his blue-collar supporters, according to report
- Democrats are moving quickly to try to take advantage of the bombshell report about President Trump's finances in the
New York Times
. The big takeaway is that while Trump as a billionaire might be expected to pay millions in taxes, he paid just $750 the year he became president...
Trump's Tax Returns Are Out
—With All the Sobering Details
Sep 27, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Trump's Tax Returns Are Out —With All the Sobering Details
The president appears to be facing a mountain of debt and huge losses
- The most sought-after documents in America have finally surfaced: President Trump's tax returns. And what they reveal is sobering. Trump, a self-described master of the deal, appears to be taking in hundreds of millions of dollars a year while suffering huge losses that he uses to pay little or...
Trump Loses Battle
Over Tax Returns
Aug 20, 2020 1:29 PM CDT
Trump Loses Battle Over Tax Returns
But an appeal means they likely won't be released before the election
- President Trump lost another legal battle in regard to his tax returns Thursday, but it remains unlikely they will be released before the November election, reports the Hill . In the latest setback for Trump, a federal judge in New York ruled that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is entitled...
Trump Blasts Supreme Court
After Rulings on His Records
Jul 9, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Trump Blasts Supreme Court After Rulings on His Records
Court says Manhattan prosecutor can pursue his tax returns, but Congress is rebuffed for now
- The Supreme Court on Thursday gave President Trump some good news (at least temporarily) and some bad news in his fight to keep his financial records private. But the upshot of both rulings is that it's unlikely any of Trump's financial information will be made public before the...
Apr 11, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Mnuchin Balked on Trump's Tax Returns. Watchdog: OK
Treasury sec's decision was based on DOJ advice, which acting Treasury IG didn't comment on
- A watchdog has found that the Treasury Department appropriately handled Congress' request for President Trump's tax returns, which Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has refused to provide. Rep. Richard Neal, the Massachusetts Democrat who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee, asked acting inspector general for the Treasury, Rich Delmar,...
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus
Funds for One Set of Americans
Apr 2, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
Social Security recipients won't have to file tax return to get money
- One of the biggest challenges the Treasury Department has in getting Americans their checks from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package is tracking down people who don't file tax returns. Now, at least one key group of nonfilers will see that process expedited. The official word, delivered from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.