Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia Just Rolled Out a
Very Unusual Military Perk
Dec 28, 2022 7:34 AM CST
Russia Just Rolled Out a Very Unusual Military Perk
Soldiers will be able to freeze their sperm for free, take advantage of gratis treatment for infertility
- Vladimir Putin has called up 300,000 or so men to fight in the war in Ukraine—what he calls his "special military operation"—and now Russia is reacting to a particular demand that's emerged as a result of that. Per Al Jazeera , after the Russian president...
Jan 14, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Mom Makes Drastic Move After Learning of Sperm Donor's Lies
Japanese mother gives up baby upon finding out donor fibbed about education, ethnicity
- A woman in Japan who thought the man she commissioned as a sperm donor was also from Japan, and educated at an elite university, was distressed to find out that wasn't the case—facts she found out when she was already pregnant and it was too late to have...
They Turned to
Sperm Donor 1558.
Was It a Mistake?
Jan 4, 2022 2:14 PM CST
They Turned to Sperm Donor 1558. Was It a Mistake?
Their resulting child suffered from mental illness they suspect was hereditary
- "You can know everything about somebody and that doesn’t tell you what their children are going to be like," the chief advocacy and policy officer for the American Society for Reproductive Medicine tells the
Wall Street Journal
. Laura and David Gunner still wish they had known closer...
In Sperm Donor
Jul 31, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
In Sperm Donor 'Case Without Precedent,' a $10.7M Deal
Fertility doc accused of impregnating women with his own sperm agrees to settlement
- A Canadian fertility doctor who lost his medical license in 2019 after being accused of impregnating multiple women with the wrong sperm—sometimes his own—has now agreed to fork over millions in a "groundbreaking" settlement. The
reports that the $10.7 million offer from Norman Barwin...
Woman Sues Fertility Doc
for 'Medical Rape'
May 26, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Woman Sues Fertility Doc for 'Medical Rape'
Says he used his own sperm, without permission, to impregnate her
- Another heartbreaking story of an allegedly unethical fertility doctor: In New Jersey, Bianca Voss, 75, learned last year that her daughter Roberta's father was, allegedly, the very OB-GYN who was supposed to have artificially inseminated her using sperm from an anonymous donor almost four decades ago. The bombshell came...
Sperm Donor Looked Stellar.
Then, a 'Horrifying' Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 3, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Sperm Donor Looked Stellar. Then, a 'Horrifying' Find
Families suing after 5 kids from Donor 3116 test positive for degenerative nerve disorder
- He seemed like the perfect sperm donor: a well-educated cytogeneticist with a robust genetic makeup, with no signs of even minor health issues. But seven Canadian families say the man known as Donor 3116 wasn't quite what he seemed, and they're now suing the Ontario sperm bank they...
Sperm Donor's 'Overwhelming'
Find Leads to $5.25M Suit
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 6, 2019 1:25 PM CDT
Sperm Donor's 'Overwhelming' Find Leads to $5.25M Suit
Bryce Cleary says he fathered 17 kids, not just 5 like Oregon fertility clinic promised
- When Dr. Bryce Cleary was in medical school at Oregon Health and Science University three decades ago, he decided to help people who were having fertility issues by becoming a sperm donor. But he had conditions, including that no more than five children be produced using his sperm; that the...
The Sperm Donor
Was Carefully Chosen.
Decades Later, a Shock
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 9, 2019 3:05 PM CDT
The Sperm Donor Was Carefully Chosen. Decades Later, a Shock
'NYT' looks at cases in which women learned they got the wrong sperm
- There are no firm numbers on how often this is happening, just anecdotes—and they're "piling up," writes Jacqueline Mroz for the
New York Times
in a look at what some families are learning about donated sperm in the age of easy access to DNA testing. Namely,...
She Wanted to Learn About
Her Dad, Found 29 Siblings
Apr 5, 2019 8:51 AM CDT
She Wanted to Learn About Her Dad, Found 29 Siblings
Shauna Harrison got more than she may have expected after turning to 23andMe
- When Shauna Harrison was 27, her parents told her more of her origin story: She had been conceived using a sperm donor. What she wouldn't know for another decade-plus is just how many people had the same biological father. KGO reports she turned to 23andMe to see if her...
A Young Cadet Died Skiing.
Now, a 'Bittersweet Result'
Mar 4, 2019 5:58 PM CST
A Young Cadet Died Skiing. Now, a 'Bittersweet Result'
Parents get court's OK to retrieve Peter Zhu's sperm
- The parents of a 21-year-old West Point cadet fatally injured in a skiing accident raced the clock to get a judge's permission to retrieve his sperm for "the possibility of preserving some piece of our child that might live on." US Military Academy Cadet Peter Zhu was...
Guys Like This
Mar 23, 2018 11:21 AM CDT
Why Brazilian Women Want Sperm From Guys Like This
They feel blond, blue-eyed males will produce 'pretty' kids who will have more advantages
- What came into Brazil in great numbers in 2017: hundreds of tubes of imported US semen, often from donors primed to make "pretty" children—which for many Brazilians means white "biotypes" with light hair and eyes, per the
Wall Street Journal
. Such imports of overseas sperm have spiked...
Looking for a Sperm or Egg
Donor? Swipe Right
May 11, 2017 7:17 AM CDT
Looking for a Sperm or Egg Donor? Swipe Right
The new app 'Just a Baby' has some people on edge
- Want a baby but not able to conceive biologically? Know how to use Tinder? A new app called Just a Baby now lets people browse sperm donors, egg donors, surrogates, co-parents, and even old-fashioned partners as if they're dating online, and it's ruffling a few feathers, per NBC...
Clinic: Wrong Man's
Sperm May Have
Fertilized 26 Eggs
Dec 28, 2016 3:49 AM CST
Clinic: Wrong Man's Sperm May Have Fertilized 26 Eggs
Dutch clinic blames 'procedural error'
- A man who sent his sperm to a Dutch IVF lab may have ended up with many more offspring than he bargained for. In what the University Medical Center in Utrecht says was a "procedural error," sperm from a single client may have been accidentally used to fertilize...
Judge Rules Sperm Donor
Not on Hook for Child Support
Nov 29, 2016 7:05 PM CST
Judge Rules Sperm Donor Not on Hook for Child Support
Two women used William Marotta's sperm to have a daughter then split
- A Kansas man who answered a Craigslist ad to donate sperm so two women could have a baby together is not legally the child's father and isn't required to provide financial support, a judge ruled. The state Department for Children and Families, which sought to force William Marotta...
There's Now a Tinder
of Sperm Donors
Oct 2, 2016 8:32 AM CDT
There's Now a Tinder of Sperm Donors
Gone are the days of flipping through binders of donor profiles
- Sperm banks are keeping up with the times, and it's driving some people crazy. Back in the old days (say, the dark ages of the 1990s), those on the hunt for the perfect sperm donor had the time-sucking task of flipping through binders of prospective donors to weed out...
Cops: Fertility Doctor Secretly
Used Own Sperm at Clinic
Sep 13, 2016 6:45 AM CDT
Cops: Fertility Doctor Secretly Used Own Sperm at Clinic
'It's a little bit creepy'
- If the allegations are true, dozens of people in their 30s around Indianapolis might bear a striking resemblance to each other for good reason: They share the same biological father. That man is allegedly Dr. Donald Cline, a 77-year-old retired fertility doctor, reports NBC News . Cline is now facing charges...
'Genius' Sperm Donor, Who's
Schizophrenic, Turns Self In
Sep 2, 2016 7:20 AM CDT
'Genius' Sperm Donor, Who's Schizophrenic, Turns Self In
Christian Aggeles, who looked good on paper, has fathered more than 36 children worldwide
- How often are sperm donors vetted, and how often do they get away with enhancing their positive traits? It's a question at the heart of ongoing lawsuits involving James Christian (Chris) Aggeles, who donated his sperm to Georgia-based Xytex Corp. years ago and fathered 36 children between 2000 and...
Apr 22, 2016 6:05 PM CDT
Woman Sues Sperm Bank Over Biracial Baby...Again
She wants more than $150K for being given sperm from a black man
- A white Ohio woman mistakenly provided with sperm from a black man is suing the sperm bank she says is responsible…again. Reuters reports Jennifer Cramblett filed the new lawsuit in federal court on Friday. It claims the Midwest Sperm Bank committed negligence, fraud, and misconduct when it provided her...
What Women Really Want—
at Least in a Sperm Donor
Nov 18, 2015 7:59 AM CST
What Women Really Want— at Least in a Sperm Donor
Women tend to go for smart, shy, calm men when choosing biological dad
- What women really want in a man could be vastly different depending on the scenario—i.e., lustful attraction at a bar versus calculated decision-making at a sperm bank. So a team of economists at Queensland University of Technology set out to examine sperm donor preferences among women online and...
Sep 5, 2015 4:01 PM CDT
Woman Loses Lawsuit Over Sperm Bank's Race Mixup
She gave birth to mixed-race daughter after requesting a white donor
- A woman who gave birth to a mixed-race daughter after accidentally receiving a sperm donation from a black man saw her lawsuit tossed out this week, the
reports. Jennifer Cramblett sued Midwest Sperm Bank last year alleging a clerical error resulted in her and her partner Amanda Zinkon...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.