Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about house fires on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mansion That Was
Basically Destroyed in
Blaze Sells in 4 Days
Jan 25, 2023 1:27 AM CST
Mansion That Was Basically Destroyed in Blaze Sells in 4 Days
Tennessee home had previously sold for $10M
- A Zillow listing for a $1.49 million mansion in Nashville, Tennessee, didn't shy away from the home's history: Photos on the real estate site show the residence going up in flames. Even so, it was on the market just four days before it sold, the BBC reports....
This Uber Passenger's Ride
Was a Most Unusual One
Aug 20, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Uber Passenger's Ride Was a Most Unusual One
Driver Fritz Sam stopped car to help rescue people from Brooklyn house fire
- A Brooklyn writer headed to a conference in Vermont this week just barely made her flight, and she has her Uber driver to blame. But Jemimah James Wei is completely OK with the detour, since it came about because the driver, 54-year-old Fritz Sam, stopped to rush into a burning...
to Find 10 Family
Aug 5, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Firefighter Arrives to Find 10 Family Members Killed
Pennsylvania victims include 3 children
- Fire tore quickly through a house in the wee hours of Friday, killing seven adults and three children and horrifying a volunteer firefighter who arrived to battle the blaze only to discover that the victims were his family, authorities said. Nescopeck Volunteer Fire Co. firefighter Harold Baker said the 10...
Amid Unprecedented Heat
Wave, London Homes Burn
Jul 20, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Amid Unprecedented Heat Wave, London Homes Burn
At least 40 residences were destroyed by blazes that swept UK's capital, injuring 16 firefighters
- Britain saw its hottest day yet on record Tuesday, soaring past 104 degrees during a heat wave that's taken hold across other parts of Europe as well, but the country's capital was forced to deal with more than just sweating citizens. The London Fire Brigade described a "...
They Got Their Diplomas,
Then Rushed to the Fire
Jul 1, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
They Got Their Diplomas, Then Rushed to the Fire
6 Long Island teens are lauded for fighting blaze just minutes after high school graduation
- Last week was graduation week for many across Long Island, but several seniors from one school district said their final farewells to K-12 in a most unusual, and unexpected, way. Just minutes after the graduation ceremony at Port Jefferson High School had ended last Friday evening, a call came in...
Deputies Rescue Boy
From Burning Home
May 23, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Deputies Rescue Boy From Burning Home
Two Florida deputies say they were only doing their job
- Sheriff’s deputies in Hillsborough County, Florida, rescued a 9-year-old boy from a burning home in the nick of time last Thursday night. Per the
deputies Alexander Maldonado and Kevin Reich could see and feel the flames a block away. As they approached the one-story house, neighbors said,...
'This Is Probably One of the
Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
Jan 5, 2022 10:09 AM CST
'This Is Probably One of the Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
'Heavy fire' kills 13 in Philadelphia home
- At least 13 people are dead, seven of them children, in a Philadelphia house fire that Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy described as among the worst he has witnessed. "It was terrible," said Murphy, per CNN . "I've been around for 30, 35 years now, and this...
In This City,
Dozens of Fires
Dec 31, 2021 1:30 PM CST
In This City, Unlikely Suspects Have Started Dozens of Fires
Cats are being blamed for 100-plus blazes in Seoul homes over the past 3 years
- It's not unusual to hear about a young child starting a house fire after playing with matches or a lighter. In South Korea, however, one city is plagued by a different type of accidental arsonist. Seoul Metropolitan Fire & Disaster Headquarters reports that for the past three years—from...
Christmas Tree Fire
Kills Man, 2 Sons
Dec 26, 2021 4:50 PM CST
Christmas Tree Fire Kills Man, 2 Sons
Mother, another son escape as blaze spreads to house next door
- A fire apparently started by lights in a home's Christmas tree killed a Pennsylvania man and two of his sons early Christmas morning. The children's mother and another son were able to get out of the house with only minor burns. The victims were Eric King, 41, and...
Michigan Man Rushes Into
Burning House to Save Babies
Jul 31, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
Michigan Man Rushes Into Burning House to Save Babies
Ray Lucas suffered third-degree burns, but the girls will be okay
- A Michigan dad didn’t hesitate to run into a burning house, and that saved his daughters’ lives. Ray Lucas came home from running a quick errand with his partner, Shi’Ann Brown, to find his house on fire and his mother and niece panicking at the front door,
He Rescued a
Toddler in 1998,
Gets Huge Hug
23 Years Later
Mar 30, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
He Rescued a Toddler in 1998, Gets Huge Hug 23 Years Later
Firefighter William Porter meets Jacob Tsukroff, now 26, whom he saved from a house fire
- A retired firefighter who rescued a toddler from a house fire 23 years ago had an emotional reunion over the weekend with Jacob Tsukroff, now 26, in upstate New York. Per NBC New York , William Porter was among the responders who showed up at the burning house in Poughkeepsie on...
Crystal Ball Wreaks Havoc,
Causes $250K in Damage
Mar 11, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Crystal Ball Wreaks Havoc, Causes $250K in Damage
The house ornament sparked a house fire when sunlight streamed through it, say Wis. fire officials
- If a crystal ball in a Wisconsin home had been capable of predicting the future, it would have said, "I'm going to set your house on fire." Fire officials in Delton say the ornamental ball started a fire that caused around $250,000 in damage to a...
After Months of
Arrests in 'Heinous'
Jan 28, 2021 9:35 AM CST
After Months of No Progress, Arrests in 'Heinous' Denver Case
3 teen boys face murder charges after house fire that killed family of 5
- Three teenage boys have been arrested in the Denver house fire that killed a family of five in August, after months without progress . Authorities say the two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old face 28 criminal counts, including first-degree murder, attempted murder with extreme indifference, arson, and burglary, per the
After Boys' Deaths,
'Our Firefighters Are Hurt'
Dec 26, 2020 5:00 PM CST
After Boys' Deaths, 'Our Firefighters Are Hurt'
Mother jumps from window holding another child
- "There are a lot of very hurt people," said Detroit Fire Commissioner Eric Jones. "Our firefighters are hurt." Crews had raced to the house fire on Detroit's east side Friday morning, arriving in just 6 minutes. But by then, 6-year-old Dylan and 7-year-old Demarion had...
She Scored Win
Over Abusive Hubby.
Then, Molotov Cocktails
Dec 22, 2020 12:19 PM CST
She Scored Win Over Abusive Hubby. Then, Molotov Cocktails
Battered wife Natasha Bourdon's home burns to the ground
- A Canadian woman won a divorce battle that meant she'd be allowed to stay in her home while her abusive husband paid the mortgage—and less than 48 hours after that decision, the house burned to the ground. Police in Calgary, Alberta, confirmed the Dec. 3 fire occurred under...
'I Didn't Want My
Sister to Die'
Dec 19, 2020 5:00 PM CST
7-Year-Old Hero: 'I Didn't Want My Sister to Die'
Eli Davidson says he was 'brave inside' as he entered the house
- Meet Eli Davidson, a 7-year-old boy who saved his sister this week from a house fire. "I was scared but I didn't want my sister to die," he tells WVLT . His mother, Nicole Davidson, says she woke up Tuesday night to find their house on fire in...
Police Officer Rushes Into
Burning House for His Sons
Nov 17, 2020 3:26 PM CST
Police Officer Rushes Into Burning House for His Sons
The boys weren't hurt, but their father is hospitalized
- An Oklahoma police officer says he'd have run into a burning house to save anybody. But it wasn't just anybody who was trapped by flames on Friday—it was his two children. Anthony Louie, a police officer in Seminole, was on duty when he got a call about...
Dozens of Firefighters Rush
to Denzel Washington Home
Nov 12, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Dozens of Firefighters Rush to Denzel Washington Home
Smoke was spotted coming out of his Beverly Crest, Calif., residence; actor is said to be safe
- More than three dozen firefighters from the Los Angeles and Beverly Hills fire departments rushed to the Beverly Crest home of Denzel Washington on Wednesday night after smoke was seen coming out of the four-story mansion's second floor, reports CBS Los Angeles . There were no flames seen, and with...
A Brutal House Fire Killed 5.
Now, a Photo of the Suspects
Aug 20, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
A Brutal House Fire Killed 5. Now, a Photo of the Suspects
Members of a Senegalese family were killed in the Aug. 5 blaze in Denver
- There's a $14,000 reward for information on a blaze in Denver earlier this month that killed five Senegalese family members. Now police have released a photo they hope will help them catch the suspects. Per CNN , the image shows three masked individuals wearing dark-colored hoodies on Aug. 5...
7 People, One Dog
Dead in 'Horrific Scene'
Jun 5, 2020 11:06 AM CDT
7 People, One Dog Dead in 'Horrific Scene'
Authorities trying to piece together what happened in mass shooting in Morgan County, Alabama
- Deputies responding to a call about a shooting in Alabama early Friday found seven people dead inside a home that had been set afire, news outlets reported, per the AP . Morgan County deputies were able to put out the fire before firefighters got to the scene, and that’s when...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.