Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Gunman at Elementary School Kills 14 Students, Teacher
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gunman at Elementary School
Kills 14 Students, Teacher
May 24, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
Gunman at Elementary School Kills 14 Students, Teacher
18-year-old shooter was killed by police, Texas governor says
- A gunman walked into an elementary school in the Texas town of Uvalde and killed 14 children and a teacher on Tuesday, officials said. Gov. Greg Abbott identified the killer as an 18-year-old student at Uvalde High School, KTRK reports. "He shot and killed horrifically and incomprehensibly," Abbott...
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
May 19, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Suspected Buffalo shooter makes court appearance, is jeered by relative of a victim
- The legal case against the accused gunman in Buffalo's mass shooting advanced on Thursday, but not before Payton Gendron got a message from a relative of one of the victims. "Payton, you're a coward!" shouted the family member as the 18-year-old was being led from a...
Buffalo Shooting Raises
Questions on Red-Flag Law
May 17, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Raises Questions on Red-Flag Law
Suspected gunman was able to buy a weapon despite writing threats at school
- New York has a "red-flag" law that prohibits a person who presents a threat to themselves or others from buying or possessing a gun. So how did the suspect in Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo legally buy a semi-automatic rifle in the state less than a year after...
Sheriff: Church Shooter
Left Note Describing 'Hatred
of Taiwanese People'
May 16, 2022 4:44 PM CDT
Sheriff: Church Shooter Left Note Describing 'Hatred of Taiwanese People'
California shooting is being investigated as a hate crime
- The deadly mass shooting at a church in southern California on Sunday was a "politically motived hate incident" carried out by an immigrant from mainland China, authorities say. David Chou, a 68-year-old Las Vegas resident, has been booked on one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder,...
May 16, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ousted GOP bigwig says they have 'enabled white nationalism' with rhetoric
- Liz Cheney unleashed a scorching tweet against House GOP leaders on Monday—a group she had been among before her split with Donald Trump. The tweet comes in the wake of the mass shooting in Buffalo , which authorities have called a targeted assault by a white gunman on Black victims....
Buffalo Shooting Puts
'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
May 16, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Puts 'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
There's really 2 versions of it floating around, one more extreme than the other
- The phrase "great replacement" has been in wide circulation in the media since Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo because authorities say the suspected gunman embraced it in a 180-page racist screed posted online before the attack. Lots of outlets are providing primers:
One hard-core version has been
Official: Suspect Had Plans
'to Shoot More Black People'
May 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Official: Suspect Had Plans 'to Shoot More Black People'
Possibly at 'another large superstore' in Buffalo, per the city's police commissioner
- As more details trickle out on the victims of Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo, NY, more on the alleged gunman is also emerging, including a chilling glimpse at what he'd possibly planned to do if he hadn't been stopped. Joseph Gramaglia, the city's police commissioner, told...
Mass Shooting at Texas
Flea Market Leaves 2 Dead
May 16, 2022 1:46 AM CDT
Mass Shooting at Texas Flea Market Leaves 2 Dead
3 others injured in Houston incident
- Two people were killed in a shooting at a Texas flea market that left three others injured Sunday afternoon. Police say all of those who were shot—all men in their 20s who likely knew each other, police say—had been involved in an argument at the Harris County market...
What We Know About the
Buffalo Shooting Victims
May 16, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
What We Know About the Buffalo Shooting Victims
The 10 killed and 3 injured have been identified
- Aaron Salter was a beloved community member and security guard who knew the shoppers of Tops Friendly Market by name. When they came under attack from a gunman with a rifle, he sprang into action. The retired Buffalo police officer fired multiple times at the attacker, striking his armor-plated vest...
After Fatal Mass Shooting
at Calif. Church, Crowd
May 16, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
After Fatal Mass Shooting at Calif. Church, Crowd Hogties Suspect
1 killed, 5 injured in Sunday tragedy
- A Taiwanese luncheon at a church in southern California's Orange County was attacked Sunday afternoon, leaving one dead and five others injured. There were about 30 to 40 people at the banquet, which took place after morning services at Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, when the gunman started...
Police Took Shooting Suspect
for Evaluation Last Year
May 15, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Police Took Shooting Suspect for Evaluation Last Year
Police say he made a threat about carrying out a shooting at his high school
- Police became aware of the suspect now being held in the mass shooting Saturday at a Buffalo supermarket last year, after they said he threatened an attack at his high school. State troopers were called to Susquehanna Valley High School in Conklin, New York, last June, the AP reports. They...
Biden Says Nation
Must 'Address the Hate'
May 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Biden Says Nation Must 'Address the Hate'
President addresses Buffalo shooting at ceremony for fallen officers
- President Biden on Sunday condemned the mass shooting in Buffalo, calling the killer a "hate-filled soul" while acknowledging the wearying effect of such crimes on the nation. "We must all work together to address the hate that remains a stain on the soul of America," the president...
Security Guard Killed
in Shooting Is Hailed as Hero
May 15, 2022 9:33 AM CDT
Security Guard Killed in Shooting Is Hailed as Hero
Police say retired cop Aaron Salter exchanged gunfire with shooter in Buffalo supermarket
- One of the 10 people killed in Saturday's mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket was a retired police officer who worked there as a security guard. He's a "hero in our eyes," says Buffalo police chief Joseph Gramaglia, per WKBW . The station identifies him as Aaron...
What We Know
About the Buffalo
May 15, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
Police say an 18-year-old white man killed 10 people, most of them Black, at a supermarket
- The details are filling in quickly after Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo that claimed 10 lives at a supermarket. And one of those details already has become clear: “It was straight up, a racially motivated hate crime," says Erie County Sheriff John Garcia. The white gunman shot...
Gunman in Body Armor
Kills 10 in Supermarket
May 14, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Gunman in Body Armor Kills 10 in Supermarket
FBI investigates attack as a hate crime
- A gunman wearing body armor and a military helmet opened fire with a high-powered rifle at a packed Buffalo supermarket on Saturday, killing 10 people and wounding three others. Police took a man into custody, the
reports. He was not identified. "It's like walking onto a...
11 People Shot
During Airbnb Party
Apr 17, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
11 People Shot During Airbnb Party
No arrests yet in Pittsburgh; two juveniles were killed
- A second mass shooting in the US is making headlines this weekend. Police in Pittsburgh say two young males—both juveniles—were fatally shot and nine others were wounded when gunfire broke out at an Airbnb party Saturday night, reports the
. In a statement , the city's department of...
Arrest Made in Nation's
Latest Mall Shooting
Apr 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Arrest Made in Nation's Latest Mall Shooting
14 people injured, including nine gunshot victims, ages 15 to 73
- Police have arrested a suspect in connection with a shooting at a busy shopping mall in South Carolina’s capital on Saturday that left 14 people injured. Columbia Police Chief WH “Skip” Holbrook said 22-year-old Jewayne M. Price, who was one of three people initially detained by law enforcement...
Report: Frank James Called
Crime Stoppers on Himself
Apr 13, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Report: Frank James Called Crime Stoppers on Himself
He faces federal terrorism charge
- The call to a tip line that led to the arrest of New York City mass shooting suspect Frank James came from somebody who definitely won't be able to collect the $50,000 reward, law enforcement sources tell the AP and NBC New York . The sources say it was...
Cops: At Least
5 Gunmen Involved in
Apr 6, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
Cops: At Least 5 Gunmen Involved in Sacramento Shooting
Police say gunfight involved rival gangs
- The mass shooting that left six people dead and 12 wounded outside bars just a block from California’s Capitol last weekend was a gunfight involving at least five shooters from rival gangs, Sacramento police said Wednesday. Police said they identified at least five gunmen but there may have been...
Man Injured in Sacramento
Mass Shooting Arrested
Apr 5, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
Man Injured in Sacramento Mass Shooting Arrested
Smiley Martin is the brother of the suspect arrested Monday, police say
- A second suspect arrested Tuesday in connection with the mass shooting that killed six people in Sacramento had posted a live Facebook video of himself brandishing a handgun hours before gunfire erupted, a law enforcement official tells the AP . Smiley Martin, 27, who is the brother of the first suspect...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.