Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
On His Way Out, Walker Signs Laws Weakening Successor
Wisconsin governor calls criticism of the legislation "hype and hysteria"
- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, just 24 days before he leaves office, signed a sweeping package of Republican-written legislation Friday that restricts early voting and weakens the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general. The AP reports that the Republican governor downplayed bipartisan criticism—calling it “hype and hysteria”—that...
Wisconsin Makes Move to Weaken Incoming Governor, AG
Legislature is controlled by Republicans; incoming governor and AG are Democrats
- The Republican-controlled Wisconsin Legislature has approved a sweeping package of bills weakening the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general, the AP reports. The state Assembly approved the lame-duck legislation Wednesday morning. The Wisconsin Senate did the same less than three hours earlier after lawmakers worked through most of the night....
Scott Walker Booed at Tree-Lighting Ceremony
Lame-duck legislative session has angered protesters
- Demonstrators booed outgoing Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Tuesday during a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, a sign of tumult as Republicans in the Legislature met to push through measures to gut the powers of his Democratic successor. The Legislature met deep into the night Tuesday to pass a series of bills,...
Analysts: Wis. Won't Break Even on Foxconn Deal for Decades
State won't see benefits until 2042 at the earliest
- President Trump says a deal to bring a $10 billion Foxconn plant to Wisconsin will bring "magnificent decades "—but analysts warn that it could be decades before the state sees any benefit from the deal. The non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau, which provides analysis for the state legislature,...
Wisconsin Gov. to Foxconn Plant Critics: 'Go Suck Lemons'
He calls it a once-a-generation opportunity
- "There's a whole lot of people out there scrambling to try and come up with a reason not to like this," Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Friday of a $10 billion Foxconn electronics factory under proposal in his state. "I can tell you, that's fine...
America's 10 Least Popular Governors
Chris Christie makes the list but doesn't top it
- Morning Consult has released its rankings of the country's most and least popular governors, and a certain one-time presidential hopeful from New Jersey is near the top of the disapproval column. Politico reports Chris Christie is the third most unpopular governor in the country with a 68% disapproval...
Scott Walker: I'm 'Proud' to Back Ted Cruz
Wisconsin governor says Cruz is 'best-positioned candidate' to take on Hillary
- In a move that
calls "not surprising," Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker offered up his "proud" endorsement for Ted Cruz on Tuesday, and he swears it's a real show of support he's throwing behind the Texas senator, not a protest vote against Donald Trump,...
Scott Walker: Likely No GOP Candidate Gets the Nomination
Then again 'it’s hard to predict anything'
- One-time Republican presidential candidate and current Wisconsin governor Scott Walker thinks there's a good chance that the nominee who comes out of the July convention won't be Trump, Cruz, or Kasich, the
reports. "I think if it’s an open convention, it’s very likely...
Obama Can't Pardon
Making a Murderer
Constitution bars him from freeing Wisc. inmate
- Despite two petitions that now have around 300,000 signatures, there is zero chance of President Obama pardoning
Making a Murderer
inmate Steven Avery —and it's not because the president has strong feelings about the Netflix series that casts doubt on his conviction. As Leon Neyfakh at Slate...
5 Big Reveals About 2016 Candidates' Finances
Ben Carson is the GOP's top fundraiser
- The latest campaign fundraising and spending reports are in and they reveal a lot about which campaigns are richer or poorer—and which are in sickness or health. Some highlights from the July-September reports:
Donald Trump is no longer self-funding.
According to the latest reports, Trump only had to spend
How Scott Walker's Campaign Collapsed
He was overconfident—and 'Trump-ed'
- Scott Walker is out of the GOP race after a campaign that peaked well before it officially began: He led the polls in Iowa for much of the year, but he has dropped out of the race after just 71 days, which ABC News reports is one of the shortest...
Scott Walker Dropping Out: Sources
3 sources say Wisconsin governor is exiting presidential race
- And then there were 15 : Three Republican sources tell the
New York Times
that Scott Walker will become the second GOP presidential contender to drop out of the 2016 race. The Wisconsin governor is expected to announce his decision at a 6pm Eastern time news conference. "The short answer...
11 Candidates, 11 Lines: Debate's Standout Remarks
Including one about turning the TV off
- Eleven candidates and three hours of debate: Which lines made an impression? A standout statement from each of tonight's GOP hopefuls, via CNN , the
New York Times
, and the
"I would get along with [Assad]. I would get along with a lot of the
Scott Walker: I'd Build a Border Fence With Canada
Meanwhile, Chris Christie would like to track immigrant like FedEx packages
- Donald Trump famously wants to build a wall on our southern border and stick Mexico with the tab , but Scott Walker is looking to our northern border with Canada—which the AP notes is the world's longest at 5,525 miles—and says that he'd be open to...
Slumping Walker Will Try to Out-Trump Trump
Wisconsin governor promising more passion to supporters
- After falling to third place in the Iowa polls, Scott Walker has decided it's time to steal from Donald Trump's playbook. Stories in the
, CNN , and NBC News report on how Walker is testing out a much more aggressive strategy this week. He's not only...
7 States to Change Rules After Chattanooga
Wisconsin the latest state to say it will arm on-duty National Guard members
- Wisconsin is joining six other states in arming on-duty National Guard members after last week's deadly Chattanooga shootings . "Allowing our National Guard members to carry weapons while on duty gives them the tools they need to serve and protect our citizens as well as themselves," Republican Gov....
'I'm in': Scott Walker Joins Crowded GOP Field
Wis. governor says 'Americans deserve a leader who will fight and win for them'
- Make room, GOPers: Scott Walker is running for president. "I'm in. I'm running for president because Americans deserve a leader who will fight and win for them," he tweeted ( this time for real ) today. But for the Wisconsin governor—who dropped a "barn-burner...
Walker May Have Mistakenly Tweeted His Candidacy
It's not supposed to happen until Monday
- Psst, Scott Walker is running for president. He doesn't officially announce until Monday, but Politico reports that an apparently mistaken tweet—it's here , for now—seems to have jumped the gun by three days. It shows an image of Walker on stage with the hard-to-misinterpret words, "Scott...
Scott Walker Has No College Degree: Should It Matter?
Analysis by Politico finds that it shouldn't
- When Scott Walker joins the 2016 race next week, he will in one sense be a rare political bird: a candidate without a college degree. Should it matter to voters that he left Marquette in his junior year to take a job with the Red Cross? Probably not, asserts an...
Lindsey Graham: Caitlyn Jenner 'Welcome' in GOP
Candidate hasn't 'walked into her shoes'
- Lindsey Graham doesn't seem to have a problem with Bruce Jenner's transition to Caitlyn: "If Caitlyn Jenner wants to be safe and have a prosperous economy, vote for me," the presidential candidate tells CNN today, per the Hill . "I’m into addition. I haven’t...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mysterious Monolith Discovered in Utah
Biden Pick's Unusual Hobby: 'He's a Rocker'
He Ordered One Beer, Left Massive Tip
PSA From Family Sickened by COVID: 'We Feel Guilty'
GSA Boss Wants Law Changed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.