Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Confrontation Over a Cat
Leads to Murder Charges
Sep 29, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Confrontation Over a Cat Leads to Murder Charges
Hannah Star Esser, 20, is accused of fatally hitting man with car after she says he tried to run over cat
- A California woman has been charged with killing a man by ramming her car into him after accusing him of trying to run over a cat in the street, authorities said Wednesday. Hannah Star Esser, 20, has been charged with murder in the death of 43-year-old Victor Anthony Luis, per...
Poisoned Her Husband
Aug 8, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Cops: Dermatologist Poisoned Her Husband
California's Yue Yu arrested as her husband recovers
- The husband of a dermatologist in Southern California was feeling lousy for a month and started getting suspicious, say police. The end result: His 45-year-old wife has been arrested and accused of poisoning him, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The unidentified husband "sustained significant internal injuries but is expected...
Chaos at Beach
Godzilla' Is Coming
Jul 12, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Chaos at Beach Has 'Everybody Running Like Godzilla' Is Coming
But sea lions were likely engaging in normal breeding-season behavior, not chasing humans
- A day at the beach in Southern California ended in chaos last week when two sea lions appeared to go on a rampage, spurring a viral video and reminders by local officials to leave wildlife alone. Per NBC News , the footage was shot by Charlianne Yeyna, who was visiting San...
Woman Killed as SoCal
Hit With 25K Lightning Strikes
Jun 22, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Woman Killed as SoCal Hit With 25K Lightning Strikes
Meteorologist places that in top 2% of daily California lightning totals
- The night skies over Southern California were studded with an atypical number of flashes. The North American Lightning Detection Network logged 25,000 strikes between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, which meteorologist Chris Vagasky says falls in the top 2% of daily California lightning totals; about a third were close...
Cops Killed in Motel Shootout:
'These 2 Men Were Loved'
Jun 15, 2022 8:21 AM CDT
Cops Killed in Motel Shootout: 'These 2 Men Were Loved'
Suspect also died at scene in El Monte, Calif.
- Two police officers were killed Tuesday in a shootout while investigating a possible stabbing in a suburban Los Angeles motel, and the suspect died at the scene, authorities said. The El Monte officers—a veteran of more than 22 years and a rookie with less than a year on the...
Navy Fighter Jet
Crashes, Killing Pilot
Jun 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Navy Fighter Jet Crashes, Killing Pilot
F/A-18E Super Hornet went down Friday in Southern California desert
- A Navy fighter jet crashed Friday in the Southern California desert, killing the pilot, authorities said. An F/A-18E Super Hornet based at Naval Air Station Lemoore went down at about 2:30pm in the area of Trona, an unincorporated Mojave Desert community in San Bernardino County, the Navy announced in...
Sheriff's Deputy Stole
From Dead People
Mar 1, 2022 8:19 AM CST
Sheriff's Deputy Stole From Dead People
Steve Hortz pleads guilty to burglary, grand theft in Yorba Linda, Calif.
A former sheriff's deputy in California has pleaded guilty to stealing from the homes of dead people. Steve Hortz, a 12-year veteran of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, found the body of a man who died of natural causes at a Yorba Linda home in July 2020...
FBI Hunts Bank Robber
Dubbed 'Green Gaiter Bandit'
Jan 28, 2022 10:54 AM CST
FBI Hunts Bank Robber Dubbed 'Green Gaiter Bandit'
FBI says he's responsible for 14 robberies or attempts in California since October
- The FBI is seeking help in identifying a bank robber in Southern California dubbed the " Green Gaiter Bandit ." Wearing a neck gaiter or face covering, often in the color green, the 6-foot-tall middle-aged white male has committed more than a dozen robberies or attempted robberies at banks in...
Massive Sewage Spill Mucks
Up California Coast
Jan 2, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Massive Sewage Spill Mucks Up California Coast
Sewer line failure caused a stink in LA County
- A sewer line failure of epic proportions is causing a real stink in Southern California. Per the
, beaches stretching from Los Angeles to Long Beach have been shut down after millions of gallons of raw sewage on Thursday spewed into the Dominguez Channel, which terminates into the Los...
California Demographics Shift,
Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
Nov 27, 2021 4:05 PM CST
California Demographics Shift, Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
'Wall Street Journal' explores exodus of middle class families from coast to 'Inland Empire'
- It's not too much of a stretch to use the word "exodus." The
Wall Street Journal
digs into census figures out of California to highlight a fast-moving demographic shift: In broad strokes, middle-class families are fleeing the too-expensive coast. Their destination? Many are landing in the region...
Oct 1, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Calif. Synagogue Gunman Hears His Fate
John T. Earnest gets life without parole for killing one person, injuring 3 in 2019 Poway shooting
- Before John T. Earnest was sentenced Thursday for fatally gunning down one person and injuring three others, including a young girl, in a 2019 shooting at a Southern California synagogue, his lawyer asked if he could make a statement. The response of San Diego Superior Court Judge Peter Deddeh in...
'Probably a Lot of
Sep 18, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Calif. Quake: 'Wine Everywhere,' 'Probably a Lot of Frightened Cats'
Magnitude 4.3 temblor jolted S. California Friday, though no reports of serious injuries, damage
- Los Angeles County's weekend started off with a jolt, with a magnitude 4.3 quake hitting the area around Carson, Calif., on Friday evening. The US Geological Survey reports that shaking from the temblor, which hit right before 8pm local time, was felt throughout multiple counties, including Orange and...
Mom: Teacher Went on Racist
Zoom Rant for 30 Minutes
Mar 31, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Mom: Teacher Went on Racist Zoom Rant for 30 Minutes
California teacher Kimberly Newman apparently thought Zoom session had ended (it hadn't)
- The mother of a Black 12-year-old boy is seeking damages from a Southern California school district after her son's teacher went on a half-hour tirade laced with racism and profanity. Katura Stokes filed a damage claim—typically a precursor to a lawsuit, per the AP —on Thursday on...
She Laid Her Husband to Rest.
3 Days Later, a Racist Letter
Mar 25, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
She Laid Her Husband to Rest. 3 Days Later, a Racist Letter
'How cruel could you be?' Claudia Choi asks after anti-Asian note is sent to her grieving mother
- When Byong Choi died of tuberculosis at age 83 last month, the Korean American's family had to put off his funeral in Orange County, Calif., until March 19 because of COVID restrictions, reports the
. Three days after they finally laid him to rest, a "disturbing and...
Cops: Popular Car-Part
Theft Proves Fatal
Mar 19, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Cops: Popular Car-Part Theft Proves Fatal
Police say man in Anaheim was crushed while trying to steal catalytic converter from Prius
- In the early morning hours of St. Patrick's Day, police responded to a call from a worker at a local industrial building in Anaheim, Calif. The employee had made a distressing find upon arriving at the site: a man's unmoving legs sticking out from underneath one of the...
Ex-Pitcher Charged in
Boys' Crosswalk Deaths
Feb 1, 2021 10:49 AM CST
Ex-Pitcher Charged in Boys' Crosswalk Deaths
Scott Erickson was allegedly racing with woman who hit brothers in suburban LA crosswalk
- Former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Scott Erickson has been charged with reckless driving in connection to a hit-and-run in Southern California that killed two boys last year, per the AP . The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office said Erickson, 52, has been charged with one misdemeanor count of reckless driving....
Jan 24, 2021 11:25 AM CST
33 Missing Children Found
FBI leads California effort against human trafficking
- An investigation launched during Human Trafficking Awareness Month found 33 missing children in Southern California, the FBI announced . One person was arrested on California human trafficking charges,
reports. Eight of the children were being sexually exploited when they were found, officials said, and others were exploited in the...
Very Thirsty Southwest Is
About to Get a Cool Drink
Jan 20, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Very Thirsty Southwest Is About to Get a Cool Drink
Record rainfall expected in some parts of drought-stricken California, Nevada, Arizona
- Residents in the Southwest have wished for rain for some time, and they're likely going to see that wish granted. CNN notes that 70% of the region has been suffering from severe drought—Las Vegas, for example, has only had two episodes of rain over the last 273 days....
Leads Yet Another
Maskless Caroling Event
Dec 23, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Kirk Cameron Leads Yet Another Maskless Caroling Event
Dozens of people joined actor for event in Southern California
- Kirk Cameron is ticked off about Southern California's pandemic stay-at-home order, and he's been using the most seasonal of ways to protest it: Christmas caroling. The
star has already held two previous singalongs this month attended by hundreds, and on Tuesday he added a third. CBS...
Is in Intensive Care
Nov 15, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Tommy Lasorda Is in Intensive Care
The former Los Angeles Dodgers manager is said to be resting comfortably
- Hall of Fame manager Tom Lasorda has been hospitalized in Southern California, the AP reports. The Los Angeles Dodgers said Sunday that their 93-year-old former manager was in intensive care and resting comfortably at a hospital in Orange County. Lasorda lives in Fullerton. He attended the team’s Game 6...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.