Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Living Animals in
White Rhino Breeding
Oct 21, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Living Animals in White Rhino Breeding Program: One
Najin, one of 2 remaining northern white rhinos, has been retired
- Hopes of saving the northern white rhinoceros now rest on a sole female, some frozen sperm, and a dozen embryos. There are just two northern white rhinos alive—females Najin and Fatu of Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy—whose eggs were extracted, then inseminated with frozen sperm from dead males...
Apr 15, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Left Alone, Rhinos Increase in Number
Lack of tourists and more investment have aided habitat in Nepal
- Nepal has counted 752 one-horned rhinos in four national parks, the most in more than 20 years, and the pandemic could be one of the reasons for the increase. No survey has found more than 650 since 2000, CNN reports; the population was 645 in 2015. Listed as a vulnerable...
Even Endangered Rhinos Are
Affected by the Pandemic
May 25, 2020 9:26 AM CDT
Even Endangered Rhinos Are Affected by the Pandemic
Work to save northern white rhino has stalled
- It’s not quite a case of coitus interruptus, but efforts to create a very special baby are definitely on hold. Blame the pandemic. Groundbreaking work to keep alive the nearly extinct northern white rhino subspecies—population, two—by in-vitro fertilization has been stalled by travel restrictions. And time is...
Malaysia Says Goodbye
to Last Sumatran Rhino
Nov 24, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Malaysia Says Goodbye to Last Sumatran Rhino
Iman, 25, had actually died several times
- It's a sad day in Borneo, where Malaysia's last Sumatran rhino has died—meaning the species is gone in its native country, the
reports. The 25-year-old female, Iman, died of cancer in a sanctuary after dying multiple times from blood loss and being revived, per the...
'Almost Unachievable' Goal
Hit in Quest to Save Rhino
Sep 12, 2019 4:38 AM CDT
'Almost Unachievable' Goal Hit in Quest to Save Rhino
Scientists have created 2 northern white rhino embryos
- Scientists announced Wednesday they have succeeded in creating two embryos of the near-extinct northern white rhino as part of an international effort to save the species, which is down to just two animals worldwide, both of them female. The embryos, created in the lab with eggs taken from the females...
Trophy Hunter Gets US Permit
to Import Body of Rare Rhino
Sep 7, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Trophy Hunter Gets US Permit to Import Body of Rare Rhino
Michigan hunter gets dispensation in what Humane Society calls 'pay-to-slay scheme'
- The Trump administration says it will issue a permit to a Michigan trophy hunter to import the skin, skull, and horns from a rare black rhinoceros he shot in Africa. Documents show Chris D. Peyerk of Shelby Township, Mich., applied last year for the permit required by the Fish and...
Zoo Furious After Names
Scratched Into Rhino's Back
Aug 28, 2019 10:58 AM CDT
Zoo Furious After Names Scratched Into Rhino's Back
France's La Palmyre Zoo decries the 'stupidity'
- It's one thing to scrawl your name on a random wall. Staff at one of France's most-visited zoos say visitors instead chose to make their mark on a rhinoceros' back. La Palmyre Zoo says it was "outraged by the stupidity and disrespect" of the visitors who apparently...
Only 2 Northern White Rhinos
Are Left. Unless This Works
Aug 26, 2019 12:16 PM CDT
Only 2 Northern White Rhinos Are Left. Unless This Works
7 eggs were fertilized Sunday, taken from the last living females
- Silvia Colleoni's hand holding a syringe was trembling as she injected liquid into a micro pipette to facilitate the aspiration of sperm from one of the last then-living male northern white rhinos on Earth. Her nervousness in the Avantea laboratory in northern Italy on Sunday was understandable. Whether the...
'Loss of a Species'
May 28, 2019 2:06 AM CDT
Malaysia Mourns 'Loss of a Species'
Country's last male Sumatran rhino died
- The Sumatran rhino—the smallest and hairiest of all rhino species—once roamed all over Malaysia. Now, just one survives in the country. Tam, a male around 30 years old, has died at a wildlife reserve in Borneo, leaving Iman, a female, as the only member of the critically endangered...
Becomes the Prey
Apr 7, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Rhino Poacher Becomes the Prey
Hunter in South Africa is trampled by elephants, devoured by lions
- A poacher in South Africa in search of rhino horn instead brutally met his maker courtesy of a different beast altogether. As the
Atlanta Journal Constitution
reports, the unidentified man was hunting Tuesday with four other men when he was trampled by an elephant, then apparently eaten by a pride...
Girl, 2, Falls Into
at Florida Zoo
Jan 2, 2019 2:22 AM CST
Girl, 2, Falls Into Rhino Enclosure at Florida Zoo
She was injured by animal's snout
- A 2-year-old was injured at a Florida zoo Tuesday after its "Rhino Encounter" turned into a terrifying experience. The girl was hospitalized after slipping and falling into the rhino enclosure at the Brevard Zoo during the hands-on experience, NBC reports. Authorities say the girl was injured after coming into...
8 Endangered Rhinos Die
After Relocation 'Disaster'
Jul 13, 2018 2:08 PM CDT
8 Endangered Rhinos Die After Relocation 'Disaster'
Over half the black rhinos moved to a Kenyan park have died, possibly of salt poisoning
- Eight endangered rhinos have died after a move to a new park in Kenya. Per the
, the black rhinos died in what Kenyan conservationist Paula Kahumbu calls "a complete disaster" after they were relocated from two locations to Tsavo East National Park last month. Officials suspect salt poisoning...
World's Only 2 Northern White
Rhinos May Not Be the Last
Jul 5, 2018 3:13 AM CDT
World's Only 2 Northern White Rhinos May Not Be the Last
Scientists have created 'test tube rhino' embryos in hopes of saving the species
- There are only two female northern white rhinos left in the world (the lone male, Sudan, died in March ), and they're infertile, but researchers are hoping new efforts on the reproduction front will stave off the end of the species. The world's first "test tube" rhinos...
Ancient Rhino Radically
Changes Philippines History
May 5, 2018 7:29 AM CDT
Ancient Rhino Radically Changes Philippines History
Human tools found near 700,000-year-old butchered animal, rewriting first arrival
- An international team of researchers has discovered a 700,000-year-old butchered rhinoceros on the island of Luzon in the Philippines, forcing scientists to radically adjust current estimates about when humans first occupied the archipelago. Previously, a 67,000-year-old foot bone found in a cave in northern Luzon was the oldest...
Rhino CT Scan
Apr 25, 2018 1:11 AM CDT
Zoo Performs First-Ever Rhino CT Scan
It was easier to bring the scanner to the rhino than the other way around
- A rhinoceros at a suburban Chicago zoo has undergone what's believed to be the first CT scan performed on the species. It was no easy task. Layla is 7 1/2 years old and 2,300 pounds and lives at Brookfield Zoo. Zoo officials say the scan was needed to...
Mar 20, 2018 3:17 AM CDT
World's Last Male Northern White Rhino Is Euthanized
Sudan was a 'great ambassador for his species'
- The world's last male northern white rhino, Sudan, has died after "age-related complications," researchers announced Tuesday, saying he "stole the heart of many with his dignity and strength." A statement from the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya said the 45-year-old rhino was euthanized after his...
He's the Last in the World,
and He's Not Doing Well
Mar 2, 2018 7:24 AM CST
He's the Last in the World, and He's Not Doing Well
Sudan, last male northern white rhino, found to have deep infection
- The health of the world's last male northern white rhino has deteriorated, bringing the rhino subspecies a step closer to extinction caused by poaching. The 45-year-old rhino named Sudan , listed as "The Most Eligible Bachelor in the World" on the Tinder dating app last year as a fundraiser,...
Killed at Home
Feb 5, 2018 3:33 AM CST
Ivory Sleuth Who Traveled Underworlds Killed at Home
Top ivory investigator Esmond Bradley Martin, 75, found stabbed in neck in Nairobi
- "Pachyderms have lost a great champion." That's the tribute of one elephant expert for Esmond Bradley Martin, one of the world's most well-known ivory investigators, who was found killed in his home in Nairobi, Kenya, per the
and BBC . The 75-year-old had a stab wound...
Rhino Turns Tables
on Would-Be Poacher
Oct 22, 2017 3:40 PM CDT
Rhino Turns Tables on Would-Be Poacher
Suspect arrested after leg injury in Namibia
- A rhino turned the tables on a suspected poacher in Namibia, reports the AP , charging and injuring the man while he was allegedly tracking it. The incident happened in Etosha National Park after suspect Luteni Muharukua and other alleged poachers illegally entered the wildlife area in hopes of killing rhinos...
World's Loneliest Guy
Gets Help From Tinder
Apr 25, 2017 9:44 AM CDT
World's Loneliest Guy Gets Help From Tinder
Company helping to raise money for white rhino breeding
- There's just one male northern white rhino left in the world , and he's getting some help from Tinder. A Kenyan wildlife conservancy is teaming up with the dating app for a campaign called "The Most Eligible Bachelor in the World," focusing on the rhino named Sudan,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.