Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,622,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: JFK Baggage Handler Swiped $300K, Called in Sick
Missing cruise ship cash has not been recovered
- A Delta Air Lines baggage handler at New York City's JFK Airport who allegedly swiped around $300,000 from a cash shipment Tuesday became a suspect after he called in sick, law enforcement sources say. Quincy Thorpe, 40, was arrested at his Brooklyn home Thursday morning, ABC7 reports. Sources...
Plane Clips Sign on Takeoff, Turns Back
American Airlines flight clipped runway sign at JFK during takeoff
- At least it wasn't a stop sign. An American Airlines flight had to return to JFK airport in New York late Wednesday after it struck a sign by the runway during takeoff, reports CNN . The plane continued on its flight for about 15 minutes before the pilot announced they...
This Airport Shuttle Service May Be Pricier Than the Flight
Blade helicopter ride starts at $195 per person, plus $350 fee
- Why drive to the airport and stand in line when a helicopter can pick you up and drop you off one step from the gate? If you don't mind paying more than the cost of an economy seat on the flight you're arriving for, American Airlines makes it...
Vanilla Ice Was on Quarantined Plane, Says It Was 'Chaos'
'At that point, I was like, "OK, now I'm getting nervous"'
- The story of an Emirates plane quarantined at JFK airport Wednesday was an attention-grabbing story all its own, but the discovery of a famous passenger on board ensured it made headlines.
reports Robert Matthew Van Winkle (aka Vanilla Ice) was trapped on the plane with about 500 others,...
Emirates Flight Quarantined at JFK After Reports of Illness
Port Authority, CDC personnel on the scene
- Something unusual may be afoot on Emirates Flight 203, which landed at John F. Kennedy airport in New York Wednesday and was quarantined, per NBC New York's sources. They say roughly 20% of the 500 passengers on board the flight, which departed from Dubai, reported feeling sick. Sam Sweeney...
Pilot's Mistake Triggers 'Nightmare' for Passengers
JetBlue flight's hijack alarm traced to incorrect code
- Some 150 passengers waiting to take off from New York's JFK Airport got quite the scare Tuesday when a pilot accidentally triggered a hijacking alarm. "Woah. My worst nightmare," passenger Alexa Curtis tweeted alongside photos of authorities surrounding and searching JetBlue Flight 1623 ahead of departure to...
After Week on Lam at JFK, Sly Cat Is Busted
Pepper got loose as owner was about to board flight to China on April 20
- There's missing your flight, and then there's the tale of Pepper the cat, whose weeklong romp at John F. Kennedy International Airport has now come to an end: The 4-year-old escaped her owner, who was about to board a flight to China as part of her move there,...
'Endearing' Reason for Delays at JFK Airport
Dozens of migrating turtles
- Bird strikes at New York City-area airports have been known to cause emergency landings, but a different type of creature kept some planes from even taking off this week, the AP reports. As part of their annual migration ritual, about 40 diamondback terrapin turtles emerged from Jamaica Bay Friday...
After Uber Kept Giving Rides at JFK, #DeleteUber Surged
Ride-sharing app turned off surge pricing as taxi drivers protested
- New York City taxi drivers protested President Trump's immigration ban Saturday night with a one-hour work stoppage at JFK Airport—but Uber kept right on giving rides, reports Al Jazeera , even announcing that surge pricing had been turned off . That resulted in accusations of "strike-breaking," notes Mashable...
Man Accused of Attacking Muslim Worker at JFK Airport
He told her Trump 'will get rid of all of you,' DA says
- A Massachusetts man is accused of attacking a Muslim airline employee at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, allegedly kicking and shouting obscenities at the woman and telling her that President Trump "will get rid of all of you," authorities say. The Queens District Attorney's...
Miracle on the Hudson
Legacy: 70K Dead Birds
NYC airports kill the birds that were blamed for crash, with little evidence skies are safer
- Birds took the blame for bringing down the jetliner that "Sully" Sullenberger landed on the Hudson River eight years ago this weekend. They have been paying for it with their lives ever since. An AP analysis of bird-killing programs at the New York City area's three major airports...
Uber Drivers Plead With Airport for a Little Relief
They'd like a port-a-potty at JFK
- Add this to the growing list of Uber controversies: drivers peeing into plastic bottles. Vocativ reports that fed-up Uber drivers in New York City are tired of improvising when forced to answer nature's call. A union representing them has begun an online petition calling on JFK International Airport to...
'Gunshots' at Airport May Have Been Noise From Olympics Fans
Report of shots fired caused chaos at JFK
- These are tense times, so it's no surprise that reports of shots fired at New York City's JFK Airport caused chaos Sunday night: Two terminals were evacuated, an NYPD anti-terror unit rushed to the airport, and flights were stopped on the ground or diverted after shots were reported...
Baggage Handler Helped Smuggle Guns on Planes: Officials
4 arrested for alleged gun-running on Delta Airlines
- A baggage handler with Delta Airlines is one of four people arrested in an alleged gun-smuggling ring, ABC News reports. Investigators tracked down Delta employee Eugene Harvey through Mark Quentin Henry, who was arrested after landing in New York earlier this month while allegedly carrying 18 handguns, including seven that...
Ebola Screening Starts at JFK Airport
Passengers from at-risk countries will have temperatures checked on arrival
- Customs and health officials today are starting a stepped-up Ebola screening program at New York's JFK Airport for passengers from three West African countries. Those arriving from Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea will have their temperatures taken with no-touch thermometers. The screening effort will be expanded over the next...
TSA Busts Woman Pretending to Fly With Cat Litter
The box, and many more containers, actually hid pot
- What to pack for that dream trip to Barbados? The TSA says one Canadian woman was short on bikinis and long on a multitude of no-nos that included two handguns, 350 rounds of ammunition, and "58 bricks of marijuana totaling 33 pounds, all artfully concealed in the boxes, tubs,...
35 Years Later, FBI Busts 5 in
5 alleged mobsters taken into custody
- More than 35 years later, the FBI is finally charging mobsters in connection with the notorious Lufthansa heist at New York's JFK Airport in 1978, a crime made even more infamous by the film
. Five alleged mobsters said to be associated with New York's Bonanno crime family...
Plane Skids Off Runway Into Snow, Shuts JFK
LaGuardia also closed amid icy conditions
- Amid today's frigid weather , a Delta plane slid off a runway at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, shutting the airport down for the morning. The regional flight from Toronto had just landed safely, reports ABC , when it skidded into a snowbank. No injuries have been reported;...
Man With Loaded Rifle in Luggage Arrested at JFK
Bag had defaced rifle, 2 handguns
- A Tennessee man has been arrested at New York's Kennedy International Airport after checking luggage containing a loaded, defaced rifle and other firearms, authorities say. Keenan Draughon was caught this morning trying to board a flight to Charlotte, North Carolina, after Port Authority of New York and New Jersey...
Cops: Smuggler at JFK Had Uranium in Shoes
Feds say he thought he was selling to Iran for nukes
- How's this for an unusual airport bust: Authorities say a guy at JFK flew into the country with uranium ore hidden in the soles of his shoes. The suspect thought he was working on a deal to sell that ore and much more to Iran for use in nuclear...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ex-NFL QB Ryan Leaf Arrested in Calif.
NYT Publishes a Devastating Sunday Cover
Amid Pandemic, Rats Getting Increasingly Desperate
Trump Has a New Pitch: the 'Big Bang'
24 States Had Better Be Very, Very Careful
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.