Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Men's Alleged Attempt to
Move House Did Not Go Well
May 24, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Men's Alleged Attempt to Move House Did Not Go Well
They allegedly left trail of destruction before simply abandoning it in Louisiana street
- In most instances, police would probably be surprised if not perplexed to get a call at 3:30am reporting a house had been abandoned in the middle of the street. However, it did not take deputies in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, long to identify a suspect. "This has been an...
Louisiana Bill to Classify
Abortion as Homicide Is Dead
May 13, 2022 4:37 AM CDT
Louisiana Bill to Classify Abortion as Homicide Is Dead
State lawmakers passed amendment that 'dismantled' proposal
: A Louisiana anti-abortion bill that was strongly opposed even by prominent anti-abortion groups is history. State Rep. Danny McCormick, the bill's Republican sponsor, pulled the bill from debate Thursday night after the GOP-dominated House voted in favor of an amendment that "essentially dismantled" it, the
in 2020 Beating
of Black Driver
May 12, 2022 5:17 PM CDT
Troopers Charged in 2020 Beating of Black Driver
White officers sent texts boasting about the 'whoopin''
- State prosecutors have charged three Louisiana State Police troopers accused of beating a Black motorist, hoisting him to his feet by his hair braids, and bragging in text messages that the "whoopin'" would give him "nightmares for a long time." The misdemeanor simple battery charges in...
Crowd at Garth Brooks Concert
Was Earthquake-Level Intense
May 3, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Crowd at Garth Brooks Concert Was Earthquake-Level Intense
Louisiana seismograph actually registered a temblor during 'Callin' Baton Rouge'
- The thunder wasn't rolling, but the earth was shaking at a Garth Brooks concert over the weekend, at least according to a campus seismograph. The
Biloxi Sun Herald
reports that on Saturday evening, at Louisiana State University's Tiger Stadium, the din of the crowd was "deafening,"...
NASA: Fireball Over South Was
10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Apr 29, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
NASA: Fireball Over South Was 10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Chunk of asteroid exploded over Louisiana
- NASA has confirmed that a fireball seen over three Southern states this week was a piece of an asteroid around a foot across that exploded 34 miles above a swampy area in Louisiana. The agency says around 30 people in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana reported sightings. The meteor, which weighed...
Pastor Told Kids
'I Love You,' Then
Taped Their Mouths
Apr 12, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
Pastor Told Kids 'I Love You,' Then Taped Their Mouths
Louisiana's John Raymond charged with 3 counts of child cruelty
- A Christian school headmaster accused of taping shut the mouths of seventh-graders says he was only "building character." The parents of three of five students at Lakeside Christian Academy in Slidell, La., opted to press charges, meaning Pastor John Raymond is now facing three counts of cruelty to...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Birthplace of Jazz
Mar 25, 2022 9:53 AM CDT
Head-Scratching Century-Old Rule Reversed in Birthplace of Jazz
School board in New Orleans lifts ban on teaching jazz
- It's hard to imagine jazz music being banned in any US public schools, let alone schools in New Orleans, known as the birthplace of jazz. But there's actually a policy on the books in the Big Easy that prohibits students from learning about the genre or taking part...
After a 'Heinous' Murder,
Parents Turn In NOLA Teens
Mar 23, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
After a 'Heinous' Murder, Parents Turn In NOLA Teens
4 teens likely to be charged as adults in carjacking death of Linda Frickey, 73
- Four teens are facing murder charges in a "heinous and unthinkable" fatal carjacking in New Orleans on Monday—after two sets of parents turned them in. A 17-year-old male, 16-year-old female, and two 15-year-old females will be charged with second-degree murder in the death of 73-year-old Linda Frickey, who...
House Is in the
Middle of the Street'
Mar 23, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
'Our Neighbor's House Is in the Middle of the Street'
2 are killed, multiple others injured after tornado system hits Texas, Okla., then La., Miss.
- A tornado tore through parts of New Orleans and its suburbs Tuesday night, flipping cars, ripping roofs off homes, and killing at least one person in a region that was pummeled by Hurricane Katrina 17 years ago. Parts of St. Bernard Parish, which borders New Orleans to the southeast, appeared...
Cops: Mom Left 8-Month-Old
Alone in Field Overnight
Mar 19, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Mom Left 8-Month-Old Alone in Field Overnight
8-month-old Niguel Jackson was found after hourslong search in Louisiana: 'Baby was tough'
- A woman showed up at a fire station in Baton Rouge, La., on Tuesday evening for unspecified medical assistance, but it wasn't until Wednesday morning, when she was being taken to a facility for treatment, that she happened to mention her baby, authorities say. That mention led to what...
Residents of Homes
Built on Landfill Win
Mar 17, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Residents of Homes Built on Landfill Win $75M Judgment
Group of New Orleans residents has been fighting for compensation for decades
- A group of New Orleans residents whose homes were built on a toxic landfill decades ago have won a $75.3 million court judgement against the city, its housing authority, and the local school board. State district Judge Nicole Sheppard's ruling said 5,000 residents are entitled to that...
For US Gulf Coast,
a Dire Warning
Mar 3, 2022 1:34 PM CST
For US Gulf Coast, a Dire Warning
UN report forecasts severe climate trouble in the coming years
- Hurricane Harvey dumped more than 50 inches of rain on parts of the Texas coast in 2017. Then in 2020, ferocious winds from Hurricane Laura destroyed homes across coastal Louisiana. Hurricane Ida hit in 2021, leaving the entire city of New Orleans without power for days. Such extreme weather is...
Louisiana Deputies Arrested,
Charged After Man's Death
Feb 23, 2022 1:52 AM CST
Louisiana Deputies Arrested, Charged After Man's Death
Sheriff determines shooting was not justified
- Two Louisiana sheriff's deputies have been fired and arrested on charges of manslaughter five days after a man was shot and killed while deputies were responding to a noise complaint. Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joseph Lopinto III says the complaint centered on a "known crack house," where deputies...
Man Gets 30 Days for
Possessing Eagle Feather
Feb 16, 2022 7:35 PM CST
Man Gets 30 Days for Possessing Eagle Feather
Prosecutors say Louisiana man admitted killing bald eagle
- A 20-year-old Louisiana man has been sentenced to 30 days in prison and a year on supervised release for possessing a bald eagle feather, federal prosecutors said Wednesday. Daniel Glenn Smith of Homer was sentenced Tuesday in Shreveport for violating a law that says only federally recognized Native American tribes...
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot,
Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Feb 10, 2022 6:12 PM CST
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot, Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Louisiana's Gary Chambers Jr. is making waves despite limited budget
- A Louisiana candidate for the US Senate is making waves with his ads, which show him smoking marijuana and burning the Confederate flag. Baton Rouge community activist Gary Chambers Jr.—who had a viral moment in 2020 when he called out a school board member for online shopping during...
4-Year-Old in Car With Mom
Fatally Shoots Himself
Feb 2, 2022 2:46 AM CST
4-Year-Old in Car With Mom Fatally Shoots Himself
Mom, friend were getting high in the front seat, police say
- Tragedy in Louisiana, where a 4-year-old boy fatally shot himself with a gun he found in his mom's car Saturday. Jarion Walker was in the back seat of the car with his two younger siblings, ages 22 months and about one year, while their mother and another adult smoked...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
First Cases of
Detected in Louisiana
Jan 19, 2022 1:58 PM CST
First Cases of Superbug Fungus Detected in Louisiana
'I equate it to the tip of the iceberg,' doctor says of Candida auris find
- A hospital in New Orleans says it has identified two patients infected with a rare, drug-resistant fungus—the first time it's been found in Louisiana.
has already been found in Washington, DC, and at least 20 other states including Georgia, Florida, and Texas, according to the Centers...
A Historical Wrong
Is Righted in Louisiana
Jan 5, 2022 1:50 PM CST
A Historical Wrong Is Righted in Louisiana
Homer Plessy, who wouldn't leave whites-only train car in 1892, is pardoned
: Homer Plessy has been pardoned almost 130 years after he was arrested for violating a racist law in Louisiana. Gov. John Bel Edwards issued the formal pardon near the site where the Black man bought a ticket for a whites-only train car in 1892, the New Orleans
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
For Establishment Democrats, a Surprise Loss in Oregon
'There Appears to Be an Amber Alert'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.