Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hit With Another Lawsuit
Aug 30, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Kyle Rittenhouse Hit With Another Lawsuit
Estate of Joseph Rosenbaum blames Kenosha shooter, law enforcement for 'unjustifiable' death
- Kyle Rittenhouse is already being sued by the estate of one of the two men he fatally shot during a 2020 protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and by a third man he shot and wounded. Upon the third anniversary of the shooting, the lone holdout party is now taking legal action,...
Family Wins $11M in Suit
Over Florida Kratom Death
Jul 30, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Family Wins $11M in Suit Over Florida Kratom Death
Krystal Talavera's son hopes award draws attention to dangers
- A distributor has been ordered to pay more than $11 million to the family of a 39-year-old Florida woman who died after ingesting kratom. Judge Donald Middlebrooks said in his ruling, issued after a federal wrongful death lawsuit was tried in West Palm Beach, that no amount of money was...
Family of Woman
Killed by Alligator
Blames Pond Builder
Apr 21, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Family of Woman Killed by Alligator Blames Pond Builder
SC retirement community, developer named in wrongful death suit
- The family of an elderly South Carolina woman killed by an alligator in August is blaming her retirement community. Sun City Hilton Head failed to take steps to prevent alligators from making a home in the "manmade ponds and ponding basins" into which Nancy Becker fell while trimming shrubs...
Suit: My Ex's Friends Helped
Her Get Abortion Pills
Mar 11, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Suit: My Ex's Friends Helped Her Get Abortion Pills
Marcus Silva filed his complaint against 3 women in Texas, where a near-total abortion ban is in place
- Just days ago, five women sued the state of Texas, claiming they were denied abortions, despite the fact there was a deadly risk to them and their fetuses. Now, another abortion complaint in the Lone Star State, but this time in the other direction. A man is suing three women,...
Petito Family Settles
Lawsuit for $3M
Nov 17, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Petito Family Settles Lawsuit for $3M
Negligence case against killer's family is still scheduled for next year
- A judge in Florida on Thursday awarded the family of Gabby Petito $3 million in a wrongful death suit filed against the estate of her killer. The settlement heads off a trial scheduled for next month in the case filed by the slain woman's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole...
City Will Pay $12M
in 'Spit Hood' Death
Oct 6, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
City Will Pay $12M in 'Spit Hood' Death
Rochester settles with family of Daniel Prude
- The city of Rochester, NY, has reached a settlement with the family of a Black man who died after police put a "spit hood" over his head and pressed his face into the pavement until he stopped breathing. Rochester Mayor Malik Evans said the city will pay $12 million...
Jury: Time for Yeardley
Love's Killer to Pay Up
May 3, 2022 6:26 AM CDT
Jury: Time for Yeardley Love's Killer to Pay Up
George Huguely must pay $15M to mom, sister of slain UVA lacrosse player in wrongful death case
- Sharon Love had already seen her daughter's killer put behind bars for more than two decades. On Monday, the mother of murdered University of Virginia lacrosse player Yeardley Love received financial compensation as well. The
reports that Sharon Love and her other daughter, Lexie Love Hodges, were...
Park, Ride Manufacturer
Sued Over Fatal Fall
Apr 25, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
Park, Ride Manufacturer Sued Over Fatal Fall
14-year-old's parents argue negligence in Florida case
- The parents of Tyre Sampson, who was killed in a fall from a ride in Orlando, have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against ICON Park, the ride's owner and manufacturer, and others. The 14-year-old from St. Louis died last month after falling from the 430-foot Free Fall ride. The...
3-Year-Old's Death Triggers
Big Changes at Splash Pads
Apr 1, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
3-Year-Old's Death Triggers Big Changes at Splash Pads
As part of settlement, Arlington, Texas to make updates to splash-pad technology
- The parents of a 3-year-old boy who died of a brain-eating amoeba contracted at a splash pad in Arlington, Texas, have settled with the city. Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell, who initially sought at least $1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit, will receive $250,000, which their lawyer said...
Suit: Jail Staff
Ignored Pleas of
Woman in Labor,
to Tragic End
Feb 17, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Suit: Jail Staff Ignored Pleas of Woman in Labor, to Tragic End
Tiana Hill says her infant died 4 days after birth due to sheriff's, prison medical staff's negligence
- A Georgia mother has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Clayton County after she gave birth while in jail there and her baby died. The
New York Times
reports that the federal complaint by Tiana Hill accuses Sheriff Victor Hill (no relation) and the medical staff at the Clayton County...
Suit: Apartment Complex Didn't
Take Slain Woman Seriously
Oct 20, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Suit: Apartment Complex Didn't Take Slain Woman Seriously
Miya Marcano's family files wrongful death complaint against Arden Villas, deceased suspect
The family of Miya Marcano, the 19-year-old college student who cops say was kidnapped and murdered by a maintenance man at the Florida apartment complex where she lived and worked, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit. WESH 2 and the AP report the complaint was entered Monday in Orange...
Texas Mayor After Child's Death
From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'
Oct 5, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Texas Mayor After Child's Death From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'
Parents of Bakari Williams sue Arlington for $1M
The parents of a 3-year-old Texas boy who died of a brain-eating amoeba found in water samples from an Arlington splash pad he visited are suing the city. Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell are seeking at least $1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit alleging negligence at Don Misenhimer...
Alabama Mom Sues Hospital,
Blames Ransomware for Death
Oct 2, 2021 12:49 PM CDT
Alabama Mom Sues Hospital, Blames Ransomware for Death
Nurses coping with computer outages and missed signs of fetal distress
- Nicko Silar was born with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. She suffered brain damage and died nine months later. Her mother, Teiranni Kidd, is suing the hospital, claiming Nicko’s death was preventable. Her own doctor, obstetrician Katelyn Parnell apparently agreed that the baby’s birth injury could...
Actor Sues Over
Son, Wife's 2019 Deaths
Oct 2, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Actor Sues Over Son, Wife's 2019 Deaths
Wrongful death suit claims both were denied medical care
- Actor Ron Ely alleges action taken by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office resulted in the deaths of his son and wife. That's per a wrongful death lawsuit filed in July and amended Sunday that raises numerous questions about the night of Oct. 15, 2019 . The department said...
by Police Files Lawsuit
Jun 25, 2020 6:35 AM CDT
Actress Killed by Police Files Lawsuit
She says officers were 'negligent and reckless'
- The mother of
Stand and Deliver
actress Vanessa Marquez is suing the city of South Pasadena and five police officers involved in a welfare check that ended with her daughter being shot dead . Delia McElfresh says officers were "negligent and reckless" after they were called to Marquez'...
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's
Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
May 12, 2020 6:26 AM CDT
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
Berge Zobayan says passengers on brother Ara Zobayan's chopper knew the risks, were negligent
- More than one lawsuit has been filed in the case of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, but it's his widow's wrongful death complaint that has the brother of the pilot pushing back. CNN reports that on Friday, Berge Zobayan filed a seven-page response to Vanessa Bryant's suit,...
Widow Sues Cruise Line
Over Husband's Death
Apr 17, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Widow Sues Cruise Line Over Husband's Death
Texas' Susan Dorety alleges negligence aboard Grand Princess in regard to coronavirus
- Princess Cruise Lines is now facing a wrongful death lawsuit over COVID-19. Texas' Susan Dorety is seeking more than $1 million over the alleged negligent treatment of her husband, Michael, who "spent days suffering in agony" before dying in a hospital , according to her suit. Dorety says the crew...
Chris Watts Owes $6M
to Slain Wife's Parents
Nov 27, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Chris Watts Owes $6M to Slain Wife's Parents
Colorado prisoner agrees to huge payment, with 8% annual interest rate
- Christopher Watts owes $6 million to the parents of the pregnant wife he killed, who suffered death threats and "lost nearly all trust in people and humanity." A judge has ordered that Watts pay $3 million to Frank and Sandy Rzucek for emotional pain plus $1 million for...
Suit: Man Died in 'Death Trap'
Tesla Due to Door Malfunction
Oct 24, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
Suit: Man Died in 'Death Trap' Tesla Due to Door Malfunction
Omar Awan burned in Model S crash after rescuers couldn't get to him: complaint
- A 48-year-old anesthesiologist died an unnecessary death earlier this year in a fiery Tesla crash, according to a new lawsuit that claims the car's design was what ended up killing him. Dr. Omar Awan was burned "beyond recognition" after his Model S veered off the road and crashed...
City: Man Wrongfully
Killed by Cops Had No
Rights to Violate
Oct 1, 2019 2:20 PM CDT
City: Man Wrongfully Killed by Cops Had No Rights to Violate
Southaven, Mississippi, wants lawsuit dropped because man was undocumented immigrant
- Ismael Lopez was in his own Mississippi home in July 2017 when a police officer attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Lopez's neighbor went instead to Lopez's house and fatally shot him . Last year, a grand jury declined to indict the two Southaven police officers involved in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.