Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pope Proclaims 10 New Saints
May 15, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Pope Proclaims 10 New Saints
Thousands join Francis for first canonization ceremony in over 2 years
- Pope Francis on Sunday created 10 new saints, including a Dutch priest-journalist who was killed by the Nazis, a lay Indian convert who was killed for his faith, and a half-dozen French and Italian priests and nuns who founded religious orders. Francis told the crowd of more than 45,000...
Pope Picks Nun
Apr 23, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Pope Picks Nun Among New High Officials
Appointments are part of Francis' overhaul of the Vatican bureaucracy
- Pope Francis made major appointments in his newly overhauled Vatican bureaucracy Saturday, naming new deputies for the doctrine office and confirming the highest-ranked woman in the Holy See as the No. 2 in the development office. The appointments are some of the first since Francis last month issued his long-awaited...
Pope Overhauls Bureaucracy
Mar 19, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Pope Overhauls Bureaucracy
Vatican changes include strengthening sexual abuse investigations
- Pope Francis released his long-awaited overhaul of the Holy See bureaucracy on Saturday that envisages greater decision-making roles for the laity and gives new institutional weight to efforts to fight clerical sex abuse. The 54-page text, titled "Praedicate Evanglium," or "Proclaiming the Gospel," replaces the founding...
Biden: Pope Says I Should
Keep Taking Communion
Oct 29, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
Biden: Pope Says I Should Keep Taking Communion
Says pontiff called him a 'good Catholic'
This file has been updated to include more details on the visit, including the president's comments on communion and abortion.
President Biden said Pope Francis told him Friday that he should continue to receive Communion, as the world's two most prominent Roman Catholics ran overtime in private...
Miracle Attributed to Man Who
Was Pope for Just 33 Days
Oct 13, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Miracle Attributed to Man Who Was Pope for Just 33 Days
John Paul I is a step closer to sainthood
- John Paul I, the shortest-reigning pope in almost 400 years, has taken a big step down the road to sainthood. The Vatican says Pope Francis has approved a decree attributing a miracle to his predecessor, who was found dead in his bed from an apparent heart attack just 33 days...
Indicted Cardinal: Pope
'Wanted Me to Be on Trial'
Jul 27, 2021 5:02 PM CDT
Indicted Cardinal: Pope 'Wanted Me to Be on Trial'
Charges include embezzlement and abuse of office
- A fraud and embezzlement trial involving charges of mismanagement of the Holy See's investments began Tuesday in Vatican City, with a once-powerful cardinal among the 10 defendants saying he remains obedient to Pope Francis, who stripped his privileges to bring him before the tribunal. "He wanted me to...
Vatican Reveals Church
Owns 5K Properties
Jul 25, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Vatican Reveals Church Owns 5K Properties
Extensive release of real estate and financial records is a first for the church
- The Catholic Church has made an unprecedented financial disclosure, revealing the extent of its real estate holdings around the world. More than 50 pages of forms released Saturday show that the Vatican owns 4,051 properties in Italy and 1,120 elsewhere, Politico reports. Vatican embassies are not included in...
Speaks at Hospital
Jul 11, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Recovering Pope Speaks at Hospital
In appearance during recovery from surgery, Francis stresses need for free health care
- Pope Francis led prayers before a Rome crowd Sunday as he does every week, albeit from a different balcony this time. "I am happy to be able to keep the Sunday appointment of the Angelus, even here from the Gemelli Polyclinic," the pope said from a balcony on...
Update Is In
Jul 5, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Update Is In After Pope's Surgery
Vatican says the pontiff is 'alert,' in 'good' condition after procedure for narrowed intestine
- It's not unusual for people to be slightly nervous when an 84-year-old goes in for surgery—even less so when it's the pontiff. But it looks like all has gone according to plan for Pope Francis, who underwent a procedure Sunday to remedy a narrowing of his large...
Jul 3, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
Vatican Indicts Cardinal in Financial Crimes
Charity money was lost in high-risk schemes, charges say
- The Vatican announced Saturday that 10 people, one of them an Italian cardinal, will be put on trial this month on financial charges including extortion, corruption, and fraud. Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Becciu was indicted on charges of abuse of office, bribery, and embezzlement, CNN reports. Becciu, 73, issued a statement...
Bishops Ignore Vatican
on Communion for Biden
Jun 18, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Bishops Ignore Vatican on Communion for Biden
They're drafting a statement to back denying him the sacrament over his abortion stance
- US bishops are moving against the nation's second Roman Catholic president, voting to draft a document in support of denying President Biden the sacrament of Communion because he supports abortion rights. The bishops announced Friday that they debated in a virtual meeting this month before voting to start work...
for Church Sex
Jun 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
On Punishments for Church Sex Abuse, a 'Significant Rewrite'
Pope Francis signs off on first major update to penal sanctions since 1980s
- A slew of new rules on how to handle sexual abuse within the Catholic Church has received the official green light from Pope Francis, updating a penal system that's been in place for 40 years. The
calls it "the most significant rewrite of canon law" since...
Pope Questions Value
of Vatican Newspaper
to Its Employees
May 24, 2021 7:40 PM CDT
Pope Questions Value of Vatican Newspaper to Its Employees
Francis issues thinly veiled warning about expensive media operation
- Pope Francis challenged the Vatican's own media employees Monday to essentially justify their continued work, asking them how many people actually consume their news as he visited the office that costs the Holy See more than all its embassies around the world combined. Francis paid a visit to the...
Bishops Receive a Caution
Over Communion Penalty
May 10, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Bishops Receive a Caution Over Communion Penalty
Letter from Vatican sets up steps before withholding sacrament from Biden
- The head of the Vatican's doctrine office is warning US bishops to deliberate carefully and minimize divisions before proceeding with any plan to rebuke Roman Catholic politicians such as President Biden for receiving Communion even though they support abortion rights. The strong words of caution came in a letter...
In Anti-Corruption Move,
Pope Limits Vatican Gifts
Apr 29, 2021 5:22 PM CDT
In Anti-Corruption Move, Pope Limits Vatican Gifts
Employees will have to report on finances every 2 years
- Pope Francis set a $48 gift cap for all Vatican employees Thursday and issued a new law requiring Vatican cardinals and managers to periodically report on their compliance with clean financial practices in one of his biggest efforts yet to crack down on corruption in the Holy See. The law...
Resigns at Pope's Request
Apr 14, 2021 7:11 AM CDT
Minnesota Bishop Resigns at Pope's Request
Bishop Michael Hoeppner accused of pressuring victim to recant claim against a priest
- A Minnesota bishop resigned Tuesday at the request of the pope after an investigation determined he'd covered up a sex abuse allegation involving a priest. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Crookston, which is made up of some 35,000 Catholics, said an investigation was launched at the Vatican's...
Pope Orders Cardinals
to Take a Pay Cut
Mar 24, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Pope Orders Cardinals to Take a Pay Cut
Pandemic has hit Vatican finances hard
- Pope Francis, who worked as a bar bouncer and a janitor as a young man in a working-class family in Argentina, has ordered cardinals and other clerics to take a pay cut in order to save the jobs of ordinary workers at the Vatican. The Vatican says cardinals, who are...
Vatican on Gay Unions:
We 'Cannot Bless Sin'
Mar 15, 2021 7:02 AM CDT
Vatican on Gay Unions: We 'Cannot Bless Sin'
Catholic Church rules priests can't sanction same-sex unions
- The Vatican decreed Monday that the Catholic Church cannot bless same-sex unions since God “cannot bless sin," per the AP . The Vatican’s orthodoxy office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, issued a formal response Monday to a question about whether Catholic clergy can bless gay...
Pope Names Women to
Posts Only Men Had Held
Feb 7, 2021 11:30 AM CST
Pope Names Women to Posts Only Men Had Held
French nun will be the first woman to vote in the Synod of Bishops
- Pope Francis has taken two steps to empower women in the Catholic Church's hierarchy, answering calls for change from laypeople, some bishops, and the pope himself. In both cases, women have been appointed to positions that until now have been held only by men, NBC reports. Nathalie Becquart, a...
Appear to Be
a Fan of This
Dec 22, 2020 2:11 PM CST
Pope Doesn't Appear to Be a Fan of This Nativity Scene
Vatican's choice for St. Peter's Square has a sci-fi theme
- Without directly adding his own art criticism of the Nativity scene chosen by the Vatican this year for St. Peter's Square, Pope Francis has made his preference clear. Twice when speaking the faithful in the square on Sunday, the pope suggested they instead visit the 100 small, more traditional...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.