Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Drop in Vaccinations
'Could Set Us Back Years'
May 19, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Drop in Vaccinations 'Could Set Us Back Years'
CDC warns of possible measles outbreak
- The CDC is warning about possible outbreaks of diseases, including measles, as immunizations fall amid the coronavirus pandemic. The organization analyzed immunization data on children in Michigan up to the age of 2, finding a drop in vaccinations for all diseases except hepatitis B—a vaccine typically administered in hospitals...
Austin Warns Public
About Measles Case
Dec 23, 2019 12:33 PM CST
Austin Warns Public About Measles Case
Person diagnosed with highly contagious disease visited restaurants, airport
- Austin, Texas, has registered an unwanted milestone: its first measles case since 1999, reports KXAN . An unidentified person has been diagnosed with the highly contagious disease, and city officials have issued a public warning about the person's travels. The patient went to various restaurants and stores (including Chipotle and...
50 Kids, Babies Dead
in Measles Outbreak
Dec 2, 2019 7:21 AM CST
50 Kids, Babies Dead in Measles Outbreak
Samoa has mandated everyone on the island nation get vaccinated
- Samoa’s government said Monday that another five children had died within the past day from a measles outbreak, bringing the death toll from the epidemic to more than 50 as authorities race to vaccinate the entire population, the AP reports. Samoa declared a national emergency last month and mandated...
Measles Has a Dangerous
Nov 1, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
Measles Has a Dangerous Secondary Effect
It can wipe out the immune system of patients, making them vulnerable to other diseases
- Rash, fever, coughing. The effects of measles are rough, and they can be deadly in some cases. But two new companion studies suggest that the worst part of measles may not actually be measles itself. Instead, researchers have detailed how the disease can wipe out patients' immune systems and make...
Release Raises Fears
Oct 31, 2019 2:58 PM CDT
Release Raises Fears
Documentary is produced by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., among others
- As several US states battle measles outbreaks fueled by anti-vaccination sentiment, there are fears that sentiment could spread with the release of
Vaxxed II: The People's Truth
. The anti-vaccination documentary, a sequel to 2016's
, will be released Nov. 6, the
reports. It will premiere in dozens...
Disneyland Visitors, Health
Officials Have Bad News
Aug 26, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Disneyland Visitors, Health Officials Have Bad News
Girl infected with measles visited earlier this month
- A New Zealand teenager hit Southern California on a vacation earlier this month, and she hit lots of the usual hot spots—including Disneyland, Universal Studios, and Madame Tussauds. The reason the world now knows about her trip is that it turns out she was infected with one of the...
New York Makes
Big Move on Vaccines
Jun 14, 2019 3:53 AM CDT
New York Makes Big Move on Vaccines
Bill eliminates religious exemptions
- There were emotional scenes at the Capitol in Albany Thursday as New York state lawmakers narrowly voted to end religious exemptions for vaccinations. Hundreds of opponents, many of them with young children, shouted from the gallery as lawmakers in the Assembly voted 77 to 53 to pass the bill, which...
We Haven't Seen a Measles
Outbreak Like This in 25 Years
May 28, 2019 7:35 AM CDT
We Haven't Seen a Measles Outbreak Like This in 25 Years
26 states can now claim confirmed cases
- The US hasn't seen such a preponderance of measles in a quarter century, but thanks to a slew of new cases across the country, that 25-year-old benchmark has nearly been reached, and looks to soon be surpassed. Reuters reports that 940 confirmed measles cases have been recorded so far...
Officials: Scientology Ship
Quarantined Over Measles
May 2, 2019 6:52 AM CDT
Officials: Scientology Ship Quarantined Over Measles
Nearly 300 people are stuck on the Freewinds docked in St. Lucia
- On the Freewinds cruise ship, there's one person currently being kept in isolation with the measles—while nearly 300 others are being kept on board at a port in St. Lucia. The 440-foot-long ship has been quarantined since Monday due to a female crew member's measles diagnosis, meaning...
CDC Releases New Measles
Stats, and They're Not Good
Apr 29, 2019 12:26 PM CDT
CDC Releases New Measles Stats, and They're Not Good
US cases hit 25-year high
- It's official: Measles cases are at a 25-year high in the US. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the latest numbers Monday, and those numbers reveal that so far this year at least 704 people have come down with the viral infection, the
Becomes Anti-Vaxxer Theme
Apr 29, 2019 3:05 AM CDT
Episode Becomes Anti-Vaxxer Theme
But actress who played Marcia speaks out against
- Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia Brady on
The Brady Bunch
, thinks people should get their information on measles from medical professionals in 2019, not sitcom episodes from 50 years earlier. McCormick isn't happy about anti-vaxxers pointing to a 1969 episode in which the whole Brady family comes down with...
LA Colleges Quarantine
After Measles Exposure
Apr 26, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
LA Colleges Quarantine After Measles Exposure
More than 900 students and staff are isolated or sent home
- More than 900 students and staff members at two Los Angeles universities were quarantined on campus or sent home this week in one of the most sweeping efforts yet by public health authorities to contain the spread of measles in the US, where cases have reached a 25-year high. By...
Hundreds Oppose California's
Mandatory Vaccines Proposal
Apr 24, 2019 6:24 PM CDT
Hundreds Oppose California's Mandatory Vaccines Proposal
As measles cases in US hit 25-year high
- As news broke Wednesday that US measles cases have hit their highest mark in 25 years, a proposed vaccine law in California was drawing massive opposition. Details:
Officials in hard-hit New York City on Wednesday reported 61 new cases since late last week, in what would make this the nation'
They Defied NYC's Vaccination
Order. Now, Consequences
Apr 19, 2019 12:38 PM CDT
They Defied NYC's Vaccination Order. Now, Consequences
Parents of 3 kids could face $1K fines
- Parents of three children from separate Brooklyn households found to be in violation of a mandatory measles vaccination order face the first fines over such a case in at least a century, reports the
. New York City health officials issued summonses to the parents Thursday after finding the...
Measles Scare Just Became
a Little Too Real at Google
Apr 18, 2019 7:02 AM CDT
Measles Scare Just Became a Little Too Real at Google
A worker at company headquarters is diagnosed with the infectious disease
- Google employees themselves may be Googling information about measles after a warning from the company and Santa Clara County. It seems a Google worker who was at company headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., on April 4 has been diagnosed with measles, reports BuzzFeed News . A company physician sent out a...
Parents Sue Over Vaccinations;
Measles Cases Rise Sharply
Apr 15, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Parents Sue Over Vaccinations; Measles Cases Rise Sharply
Group tries to block New York emergency order
- A group of Brooklyn parents has sued the city's health department to block its its order making vaccinations mandatory, even as federal health officials reported the biggest increase this year in measles cases across the country. The parents say the emergency order last week violates their religious beliefs, the...
Measles Outbreak Kills 1,200
Apr 14, 2019 11:17 AM CDT
Measles Outbreak Kills 1,200
Parents line up to get their children vaccinated
- Babies wail as a nurse tries to reassure mothers who have come to vaccinate their children against a measles outbreak that has killed more than 1,200 people in Madagascar, the AP reports, where many are desperately poor. The island nation faces its largest measles outbreak in history, with cases...
On Island Nation,
Measles Has Killed 1.2K
Apr 14, 2019 6:07 AM CDT
On Island Nation, Measles Has Killed 1.2K
Madagascar has faced more than 115K cases since outbreak began in September
- Babies wail as a nurse tries to reassure mothers who have come to vaccinate their children. They fear a measles epidemic that has killed more than 1,200 people as Madagascar faces its largest measles outbreak in history and cases soar well beyond 115,000, but the AP reports that...
NYC Declares Emergency,
Requires Measles Vaccinations
Apr 9, 2019 11:39 AM CDT
NYC Declares Emergency, Requires Measles Vaccinations
Move applies to parts of Brooklyn as outbreak worsens
- New York City is no longer merely suggesting that people get vaccinated for the measles—it's requiring them to do so in parts of Brooklyn. Mayor Bill de Blasio declared a public health emergency amid a worsening outbreak and said unvaccinated people in certain zip codes of Williamsburg, Brooklyn,...
Measles Cases Take
Big Jump in One Week
Apr 8, 2019 12:09 PM CDT
Measles Cases Take Big Jump in One Week
Number jumps from 387 to 465, closing in on highest total in 20 years
- The US seems to be moving toward an unwanted milestone. The CDC said Monday it has confirmed 465 cases of measles so far in 2019—a sharp jump from the 387 reported only last week, notes
. This year already has seen the second-highest number of cases since 2000,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.