Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 29, 2021 2:28 PM CDT
Turkish Advocacy Puts Giuliani Under Investigation
This case, over pressure placed on Trump, isn't criminal
- The Justice Department is looking into whether Rudy Giuliani conducted lobbying for Turkey. Giuliani's activities involving Ukraine already are being investigated; that case is being handled separately, ABC reports. There was no comment yet from Giuliani or his lawyer, but the former personal lawyer for former President Trump has...
'Dopes and Babies': Book
Quotes Trump on His Generals
Jan 17, 2020 12:47 PM CST
'Dopes and Babies': Book Quotes Trump on His Generals
President allegedly lit into them during a meeting early in his presidency
- A new book about President Trump written by two
reporters details an incident early in his presidency that might make Trump's critics dislike him even more while simultaneously making his supporters admire him even more. It's from an excerpt of
A Very Stable Genius: Donald J.
Exxon Wins Closely Watched
Dec 10, 2019 1:38 PM CST
Exxon Wins Closely Watched Climate Case
New York state accused it of misleading investors on the related costs
- ExxonMobil has prevailed in a rare legal situation: a climate change case that made it to trial. This one was more about alleged fraud than pollution, however, reports NPR . New York state Attorney General Letitia James accused the company of misleading investors about the potential cost of climate change, but...
Aides Asked Her to Undercut
Trump to 'Save Country': Haley
Nov 10, 2019 12:25 PM CST
Aides Asked Her to Undercut Trump to 'Save Country': Haley
Tillerson and Kelly wanted UN ambassador to join resistance, book says
- Rex Tillerson and John Kelly were trying to save the country by undermining President Trump, Nikki Haley says, and they wanted her to help. The former UN ambassador makes the claims about Trump's former secretary of state and chief of staff in a new memoir,
With All Due Respect
Report: Tillerson Rejected
Trump Request as Illegal
Oct 10, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Report: Tillerson Rejected Trump Request as Illegal
Bloomberg: Then-secretary of state declined to have DOJ drop a case against Giuliani client
- Bloomberg is out with a report that it says is in sync with President Trump's test-the-boundaries style of governing. In 2017, Trump asked then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to get the Justice Department to drop a case against an Iranian-Turkish man who just happened to be a client...
Kushner Froze Him Out
Jun 27, 2019 5:03 PM CDT
Tillerson Says Kushner Froze Him Out
Transcript released of former secretary of state's comments about his tenure
- In six hours of conversation with representatives of a House committee, Rex Tillerson detailed his relationship with the White House while he was secretary of state. There were issues. Tillerson expressed disdain and anger at times, Politico reports, toward Jared Kushner. The presidential son-in-law and adviser generally operated on a...
Tillerson's Take on Trump-Putin
Meeting Infuriates Trump
May 23, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Tillerson's Take on Trump-Putin Meeting Infuriates Trump
President says it was Tillerson who was 'totally ill prepared'
- Rex Tillerson was "totally ill prepared and ill equipped to be Secretary of State," according to the man who appointed him. President Trump's tweeted insults about Tillerson, whom he again referred to as "dumb as a rock" on Thursday, came after Tillerson told the House Foreign...
Tillerson on Trump:
He's 'Pretty Undisciplined'
Dec 7, 2018 3:30 PM CST
Tillerson on Trump: He's 'Pretty Undisciplined'
The former secretary of state speaks to Bob Schieffer of CBS
- Rex Tillerson has been relatively tight-lipped about his time in the Trump White House. But, some nine months after Trump fired him (an “unceremonious firing by tweet,” Politico recalls), the former secretary of state has finally spoken publicly about his interactions with the president in a “rare...
Tillerson: Crisis in Ethics
Threatens US Democracy
May 17, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Tillerson: Crisis in Ethics Threatens US Democracy
'When we go wobbly on the truth ... we go wobbly on America'
- Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned of a growing crisis in "ethics and integrity in our society and among our leaders" during a commencement address at the Virginia Military Institute, reports Politico . If not addressed, "American democracy, as we know it, is entering its twilight years,"...
Rex Tillerson Issues a
Parting Warning on Russia
Mar 14, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Rex Tillerson Issues a Parting Warning on Russia
Much work needs to be done on Moscow's 'troubling behavior and actions,' he says
- Rex Tillerson didn't thank President Trump in his parting statement after being fired Tuesday —but he didn't call him a moron again, either. Instead, the departing secretary of state praised progress on relations with China and moving toward North Korean denuclearization, but warned of Russia's "...
Tillerson Got a Warning:
'You May Get a Tweet'
Mar 13, 2018 2:01 PM CDT
Tillerson Got a Warning: 'You May Get a Tweet'
Fired secretary of state says he'll return to private life as 'proud American'
- Right on the heels of the news that Rex Tillerson was out as secretary of state came the news that Tillerson didn't know he was out as secretary of state and only learned that CIA Director Mike Pompeo was replacing him when the rest of the world did. Tillerson...
Rex Tillerson Is Out
as Secretary of State
Mar 13, 2018 7:55 AM CDT
Rex Tillerson Is Out as Secretary of State
Trump is replacing him with CIA chief Mike Pompeo
- Another White House staffing bombshell: Rex Tillerson, who has had a rocky public relationship with President Trump, is out as secretary of state, reports the
. Trump is replacing him with CIA chief Mike Pompeo, a move the president himself confirmed on Twitter: Pompeo "will do a fantastic...
Tillerson Digs In on
Cuba as FBI Finds No
Evidence of Attacks
Jan 9, 2018 9:30 AM CST
Tillerson Digs In on Cuba as FBI Finds No Evidence of Attacks
Secretary of state refuses to send diplomats back, will likely form a review board
- The United States would be "putting people intentionally in harm's way" if it sent diplomats back to Cuba, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson tells the AP , even as a new FBI report casts doubt on the theory that Americans were hit by "sonic attacks." Following months...
If Things Implode in N. Korea,
Here's What Happens Next
Dec 18, 2017 2:18 PM CST
If Things Implode in N. Korea, Here's What Happens Next
Rex Tillerson shares light details from discussions with China
- It's the conversation that was never had—until now, apparently. The
New York Times
reports that US diplomats have long tried to open a discussion with China about how things would play out if Kim Jong Un's government (and his father's before that) began to implode. US...
'Let's Just ... Talk
About the Weather'
Dec 13, 2017 6:43 AM CST
Tillerson to North Korea: 'Let's Just ... Talk About the Weather'
He says talks can happen without preconditions
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the US is ready to talk to North Korea at any time about any subject Pyongyang wants to talk about—without preconditions. "Let's just meet and let's talk about the weather if you want and talk about whether it's going...
Tillerson Responds to Reports
White House Planning Ouster
Dec 1, 2017 1:10 PM CST
Tillerson Responds to Reports White House Planning Ouster
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Friday addressed widespread reports that the White House has a plan to oust him in favor of CIA Director Mike Pompeo, the Hill reports. During a meeting with the prime minister of Libya, Tillerson called the reports from Thursday "laughable" while waving off...
Tillerson Unexpectedly at
White House After News of Plan
Nov 30, 2017 1:54 PM CST
Tillerson Unexpectedly at White House After News of Plan
The 'New York Times' says a plan for his ouster is in place
- Rumors of a planned ouster of Rex Tillerson are nothing new, but the
New York Times
reports it's learned of an actual plan to do so. Unnamed senior White House officials tell the paper that chief of staff John Kelly has created a transition plan, to be put...
US: Situation in Myanmar
Is 'Ethnic Cleansing
Nov 22, 2017 1:41 PM CST
US: Situation in Myanmar Is 'Ethnic Cleansing
600K Rohingya Muslims have fled amid reports of rape, torture, executions
- More than 600,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Myanmar since August amid reports of a "wave of rape, murder, and arson, entire villages torched by security forces and Buddhist vigilantes," NPR reports. Refugees say men, women, and children have been killed , and UN investigators describe rape, torture, and...
S. Korea: Idea of
Its Nukes Is
Nov 14, 2017 9:55 AM CST
S. Korea: Idea of North Destroying Its Nukes Is Problematic
South Korea suggests Olympics might be a good place to start denuclearization discussions
- Even if North Korea were on board, it would be "realistically difficult" to destroy the country's nuclear capabilities because they're so developed, according to South Korean President Moon Jae-in. It's for this reason that the international community must pressure North Korea into talks as soon as...
Trump on State
'I'm the Only One
Nov 3, 2017 7:41 AM CDT
Trump on State Dept. Vacancies: 'I'm the Only One That Matters'
President also talked North Korea, Tillerson, and Putin during interview with Laura Ingraham
- President Trump sat down with Laura Ingraham Thursday night, and when the Fox News host pressed him on why there are still so many vacancies for top posts in the State Department, he seemed nonplussed. "Let me tell you, the one that matters is me," Trump said, per...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.